Junior Member

Cool Thermostat question

I recently had an "Ace AT10-1141SA" thermostat installed in my garage. The range of the thermostat is 50-90 degrees. If I need to leave my garage door open for a while, how do I turn it off if it's colder that 50 degrees?
Senior Member

If there's no OFF switch on it, your best bet would be to simply install a wall switch beside the thermostat to manually override the thermostat and break the circuit.

Note that the above switch has the words "ON" and "OFF" molded into it's plastic toggle so that the circuit is made when the toggle is up and broken when the toggle is down. You'd do well to ensure that any switch you buy has that feature to make it easy to tell if the thermostat is working or not.

If your thermostat is only switching 24VAC, then you don't have to wire it like you would 120 VAC wiring. You don't have to worry about electrical connectors at each box's knock outs or using the proper wire. Ordinary twisted door bell wire will do.

Last edited by nestork : March 30th 13 at 08:28 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thermostat question

On Sat, 30 Mar 2013 19:36:59 +0000, Billy Raaay
wrote:

I recently had an "Ace AT10-1141SA" thermostat installed in my garage.
The range of the thermostat is 50-90 degrees. If I need to leave my
garage door open for a while, how do I turn it off if it's colder that
50 degrees?

Yes, or the heat will come on as soon as the cold air hits it.

My downstairs T-stat is in the family room. If we leave the door open
for a few minutes to bring in groceries and stuff, the heat comes on.
Once the door is closed and the air settles, it goes off again. Not a
big deal for five minutes, but expensive if you open the garage for
half an hour.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Billy Raaay wrote:
I recently had an "Ace AT10-1141SA" thermostat installed in my garage.
The range of the thermostat is 50-90 degrees. If I need to leave my
garage door open for a while, how do I turn it off if it's colder that
50 degrees?

Hi,
Doesn't that 'stat habe system off button or switch or such feature?
Most 'stats, you can set it to heat or cool or auto(heat/cool)
or off('stat is turned off, won't do anything)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Billy Raaay wrote:
I recently had an "Ace AT10-1141SA" thermostat installed in my garage.
The range of the thermostat is 50-90 degrees. If I need to leave my
garage door open for a while, how do I turn it off if it's colder that
50 degrees?

I searched the Ace website but couldn't find that model number.

However, most digital thermostats have an Heat-Off-Cool switch. Set it to
Off and it won't turn the furnace on. However, if it's still cold in the
garage when you set it back to Heat, obviously it's going to call for heat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/30/2013 3:36 PM, Billy Raaay wrote:
I recently had an "Ace AT10-1141SA" thermostat installed in my garage.
The range of the thermostat is 50-90 degrees. If I need to leave my
garage door open for a while, how do I turn it off if it's colder that
50 degrees?

If it's a heating only thermostat, you can't. If it's a heat-cool
thermostat, it'll be obvious.
If it's heating only, you could cut a switch into the circuit, to kill
it when desired
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/30/13 3:36 PM, Billy Raaay wrote:
I recently had an "Ace AT10-1141SA" thermostat installed in my garage.
The range of the thermostat is 50-90 degrees. If I need to leave my
garage door open for a while, how do I turn it off if it's colder that
50 degrees?

What kind of heater/furnace does this thermostat control ?? Does that
unit not have it's own on/off switch ?? If not, it should.
Posted to alt.home.repair

--
Billy Raaay

You would think that would be an essential feature of
any thermostat installed in a garage. Few people would want to
heat the garage all the time. If the thermostat lacks that, I would
call up whoever installed it and complain. If it's a reputable
company,
they may offer to switch it for a real thermostat.

If not, I'd just buy a real thermostat and install it myself.

Thermostat question [email protected] Electronics Repair 2 March 17th 08 03:29 PM
Thermostat question [email protected] Home Repair 2 October 24th 07 02:25 AM
thermostat question I Podius UK diy 2 December 15th 06 09:33 PM
thermostat question I Podius UK diy 3 December 15th 06 09:44 AM
Thermostat question Gary Stone Home Repair 16 February 8th 05 02:20 AM