Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Min circuit requirements for central vacuum motor in basement.

As the subject states, I'm re-doing a friends basement and need to
relocate a central vac unit. It was connected to an outlet shared with
the gas dryer. Are there any code requirements that require these
central vac units need to be on their own circuit? I could not find
any ratings on the unit to determine what the current draw is.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 4, 7:24*pm, Mikepier wrote:
As the subject states, I'm re-doing a friends basement and need to
relocate a central vac unit. It was connected to an outlet shared with
the gas dryer. *Are there any code requirements that require these
central vac units need to be on their own circuit? I could not find
any ratings on the unit to determine what the current draw is.

buy a clamp on ampmeter and check current draw for yourself. those
meters are very handy to have.

Seperate circuit is always nice, I would go with 20 amp line
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 16:36:56 -0800 (PST), bob haller
wrote:

On Mar 4, 7:24*pm, Mikepier wrote:
As the subject states, I'm re-doing a friends basement and need to
relocate a central vac unit. It was connected to an outlet shared with
the gas dryer. *Are there any code requirements that require these
central vac units need to be on their own circuit? I could not find
any ratings on the unit to determine what the current draw is.

buy a clamp on ampmeter and check current draw for yourself. those
meters are very handy to have.

Seperate circuit is always nice, I would go with 20 amp line

My 30 year old Beam is rated at 12 amps and is on a dedicated 15 amp
circuit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/4/2013 7:24 PM, Mikepier wrote:
As the subject states, I'm re-doing a friends basement and need to
relocate a central vac unit. It was connected to an outlet shared with
the gas dryer. Are there any code requirements that require these
central vac units need to be on their own circuit? I could not find
any ratings on the unit to determine what the current draw is.

If it's not a dedicated circuit, the vacuum isn't allowed to draw more
than 50% of the circuit
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 4, 8:56*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 16:24:59 -0800 (PST), Mikepier

wrote:
As the subject states, I'm re-doing a friends basement and need to
relocate a central vac unit. It was connected to an outlet shared with
the gas dryer. *Are there any code requirements that require these
central vac units need to be on their own circuit? I could not find
any ratings on the unit to determine what the current draw is.

What does the nameplate say? It should have the FLA listed. Then
multiply that by 125% and that is your ampacity.
The owners manual should have the required circuit in the installation
instructions,

This is an old unit, can't find anything as far as FLA.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:
As the subject states, I'm re-doing a friends basement and need to
relocate a central vac unit. It was connected to an outlet shared with
the gas dryer. Are there any code requirements that require these
central vac units need to be on their own circuit? I could not find
any ratings on the unit to determine what the current draw is.

Does it look anything anything like this one? I saw this at a estate sale.
Earliest patent seems to be around 1917.

Cast iron body, cast iron piping. It's one heavy duty piece of equipment.

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...8016564183.jpg
http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...8016512692.jpg

Made by the Spencer Turbine company. They are still in the business...big
time.

http://www.spencerturbine.com/produc...s/default.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
As the subject states, I'm re-doing a friends basement and need to
relocate a central vac unit. It was connected to an outlet shared with
the gas dryer. *Are there any code requirements that require these
central vac units need to be on their own circuit? I could not find
any ratings on the unit to determine what the current draw is.

What does the nameplate say? It should have the FLA listed. Then
multiply that by 125% and that is your ampacity.
The owners manual should have the required circuit in the installation
instructions,

This is an old unit, can't find anything as far as FLA.

What make and model? and how old?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
As the subject states, I'm re-doing a friends basement and need to
relocate a central vac unit. It was connected to an outlet shared with
the gas dryer. *Are there any code requirements that require these
central vac units need to be on their own circuit? I could not find
any ratings on the unit to determine what the current draw is.

What does the nameplate say? It should have the FLA listed. Then
multiply that by 125% and that is your ampacity.
The owners manual should have the required circuit in the installation
instructions,

This is an old unit, can't find anything as far as FLA.

* What make and model? and how old?- Hide quoted text -

Filtex VSI Power cleaning system, similiar to this one. It does have a
5-15 plug on it.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=0
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
As the subject states, I'm re-doing a friends basement and need to
relocate a central vac unit. It was connected to an outlet shared with
the gas dryer. *Are there any code requirements that require these
central vac units need to be on their own circuit? I could not find
any ratings on the unit to determine what the current draw is.

What does the nameplate say? It should have the FLA listed. Then
multiply that by 125% and that is your ampacity.
The owners manual should have the required circuit in the installation
instructions,

This is an old unit, can't find anything as far as FLA.

* What make and model? and how old?- Hide quoted text -

Filtex VSI Power cleaning system, similiar to this one. It does have a
5-15 plug on it.http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...eaning+system&...

still better to instal a 12 gauge wire, just in case someone decides
to upgrade in the future.

IMHO its better to go all 20 amp breakers with 12 gauge wire it costs
more but is more flexible in the future. Its like upgrading to a 200
amp main, when 100 will do......
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

amp main, when 100 will do......- Hide quoted text -

I am installing 12 guage, but my question is does it need to be an
outlet dedicated just for the vacuum?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

In looking at residential units, they typically roughly 10 to 14 amps.
That's what I have. It's on a 15 amp circuit and the outlet is shared
by a 4hp air compressor. I never run the 2 together because I know what
will happen. BTW, the circuit is also shared by the water heater which
draws almost nothing ... just controls and an exhaust blower. However,
if it is like the one you showed in a previous post and it has 2 motors,
it will probably draw considerably more.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

wrote:

On Mar 4, 7:24 pm, Mikepier wrote:
As the subject states, I'm re-doing a friends basement and need to
relocate a central vac unit. It was connected to an outlet shared with
the gas dryer. Are there any code requirements that require these
central vac units need to be on their own circuit? I could not find
any ratings on the unit to determine what the current draw is.

buy a clamp on ampmeter and check current draw for yourself. those
meters are very handy to have.

Seperate circuit is always nice, I would go with 20 amp line

My 30 year old Beam is rated at 12 amps and is on a dedicated 15 amp
circuit.

I've got a 30 year old Beam as well, made of solid steel instead of plastic
like most are these days.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote the following on 3/4/2013 7:24 PM (ET):
As the subject states, I'm re-doing a friends basement and need to
relocate a central vac unit. It was connected to an outlet shared with
the gas dryer. Are there any code requirements that require these
central vac units need to be on their own circuit? I could not find
any ratings on the unit to determine what the current draw is.

My Kenmore Central Vacuum is plugged into a standard 120 V wall outlet.
It is protected by a 15 Amp Bryant breaker. The vacuum plate says 120
Volt, 60 Hz, 11 Amp. The power wire appears to be 12/3 Romex.
It has been there since 1984 when I installed it and the only problem
was a wearing out of the brushes and replacement (by me) a few years
ago, as mentioned in another message.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

and the answer is still: if the vacuum draws more then 50% of the
circuit, it does