Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Two Stage Evap Coolers

Local University has the following surplus for sale for $500. I live in
a dry hot summer environment and wonder if they are prone to more than
the average amount of maintenance/repair. I have about 1000 sq ft of
living area

AIR CONDITIONER OASYS CRS 1000, INCLUDES MANUAL, DIRECT/INDIRECT AC
UNIT. 69" H X 24" W X 35" D
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 23, 7:27*am, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" atlas-
wrote:
Local University has the following surplus for sale for $500. I live in
a dry hot summer environment and wonder if they are prone to more than
the average amount of maintenance/repair. I have about 1000 sq ft of
living area

AIR CONDITIONER OASYS CRS 1000, INCLUDES MANUAL, DIRECT/INDIRECT AC
UNIT. 69" H X 24" W X 35" D

If you live in a hot dry area you might find an evaporative cooler
cheaper to buy and run.
Apart from the fan, no moving parts, little electricity, just uses
water
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_con...rative_coolers

I have a brother in Australia who has one, works well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Local University has the following surplus for sale for $500. I live in
a dry hot summer environment and wonder if they are prone to more than
the average amount of maintenance/repair. I have about 1000 sq ft of
living area

AIR CONDITIONER OASYS CRS 1000, INCLUDES MANUAL, DIRECT/INDIRECT AC
UNIT. 69" H X 24" W X 35" D

If you live in a hot dry area you might find an evaporative cooler
cheaper to buy and run.
Apart from the fan, no moving parts, little electricity, just uses
waterhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_conditioning#Evaporative_coolers

I have a brother in Australia who has one, works well.

Clueless as usual, harry. The unit IS an evaporative cooler.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,

wrote:
Local University has the following surplus for sale for $500. I live in
a dry hot summer environment and wonder if they are prone to more than
the average amount of maintenance/repair. I have about 1000 sq ft of
living area

AIR CONDITIONER OASYS CRS 1000, INCLUDES MANUAL, DIRECT/INDIRECT AC
UNIT. 69" H X 24" W X 35" D

If you live in a hot dry area you might find an evaporative cooler
cheaper to buy and run.
Apart from the fan, no moving parts, little electricity, just uses
waterhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_conditioning#Evaporative_coolers

I have a brother in Australia who has one, works well.

Clueless as usual, harry. The unit IS an evaporative cooler.....

It's about the same cost as a new single stage cooler, but would tend to
eliminate the humidity problem. Question is, is it worth it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,

wrote:
Local University has the following surplus for sale for $500. I live in
a dry hot summer environment and wonder if they are prone to more than
the average amount of maintenance/repair. I have about 1000 sq ft of
living area

AIR CONDITIONER OASYS CRS 1000, INCLUDES MANUAL, DIRECT/INDIRECT AC
UNIT. 69" H X 24" W X 35" D

If you live in a hot dry area you might find an evaporative cooler
cheaper to buy and run.
Apart from the fan, no moving parts, little electricity, just uses
waterhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_conditioning#Evaporative_coolers

I have a brother in Australia who has one, works well.

Clueless as usual, harry. The unit IS an evaporative cooler.....

It's about the same cost as a new single stage cooler, but would tend to
eliminate the humidity problem. Question is, is it worth it?

FWIW, There is a "new" CRS1000 currently on Ebay with a Buy It Now of
@2995. The user manual at
http://www.aurorapower.net/pdf_refer...nersmanual.pdf
says the 1st stage is a "heat exchanger". No mention of a compressor.
Claims no CFCs. 2nd stage is same as Evap Cooler. Big pad with blower.
Needs water supply & drain. Has elaborate setup to minimize any mold
or algae buildup. Looks like some servicing is a 2 man job. I'd be
curious what is cost of replacement media pads ( 2 different pads).

In 25 years of running a standard Evap Cooler in Denver CO (90F-100F
summers), never had a problem with mold or too much humidity. YMMV.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Retired wrote:

In article
,

http://www.aurorapower.net/pdf_refer...OAsys/oasysown
ersmanual.pdf
says the 1st stage is a "heat exchanger". No mention of a compressor.
Claims no CFCs. 2nd stage is same as Evap Cooler. Big pad with blower.
Needs water supply & drain. Has elaborate setup to minimize any mold
or algae buildup. Looks like some servicing is a 2 man job. I'd be
curious what is cost of replacement media pads ( 2 different pads).

In 25 years of running a standard Evap Cooler in Denver CO (90F-100F
summers), never had a problem with mold or too much humidity. YMMV.

Yeh, I can't sus how the 1st stage works and it doesn't look like it
would be as easy to install as a conventional Evap Cooler...and that
doesn't include all the parts/systems that can break