Junior Member

Default pluming below level of septic mound

I am looking at a house that has a full bath and a wet bar in the basement that is considerably below the below grade from the septic tank. What do I need to make sure is in place to ensure waste water/material does not flow back into the house?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Backflow preventer. AKA check valve.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

news

--
pa jay

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 22, 9:57*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Backflow preventer. AKA check valve.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"pa jay" wrote in message

news
I am looking at a house that has a full bath and a wet bar in the
basement that is considerably below the below grade from the septic
tank. What do I need to make sure is in place to ensure waste
water/material does not flow back into the house?

--
pa jay

That plus an ejection pump system that is installed
correctly, still in good shape, etc. I'd be careful with that
particular kind of thing, because it's often a DIY job,
no permits, etc. Whole house should be gone over
by a competent home inspector. Might be worth paying
a plumber to look at the specific issue in question too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Backflow preventer. AKA check valve.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"pa jay" wrote in message

news
I am looking at a house that has a full bath and a wet bar in the
basement that is considerably below the below grade from the septic
tank. What do I need to make sure is in place to ensure waste
water/material does not flow back into the house?

--
pa jay

That plus an ejection pump system that is installed
correctly, still in good shape, etc. I'd be careful with that
particular kind of thing, because it's often a DIY job,
no permits, etc. Whole house should be gone over
by a competent home inspector. Might be worth paying
a plumber to look at the specific issue in question too.

Inspector is a good idea.
Personally I don't like having to pump stuff up hill.
Electric might fail and you can't use the facility.
Neighbor has a septic where tank is below his house but waste water must
be pumped up hill above the house to drain field. He had an electric
failure in the pump. Don't know if it got messy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, February 22, 2013 7:36:16 AM UTC-5, pa jay wrote:
I am looking at a house that has a full bath and a wet bar in the basement that is considerably below the below grade from the septic tank. What do I need to make sure is in place to ensure waste water/material does not flow back into the house? -- pa jay

It's more common than most people realize. If there is a toilet then it should have a macerator pump. There should be a check valve as well. There will be a well the pump lives that will hold some waste in but basically you should not use the below grade fixtures during a power outage. If it does not have an alarm you should ask that one be installed.