Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Catching scorpions

I'd like to catch some scorpions, and see if I can sell them. I know that I
can search at night with a blacklight during the warmer months. Are there
any traps that work so I can do it the easy way? Apparently, you can bury a
bottle so they will slide down, and not be able to get out. Anyone know
what makes a good bait?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
I'd like to catch some scorpions, and see if I can sell them. I know that I
can search at night with a blacklight during the warmer months. Are there
any traps that work so I can do it the easy way? Apparently, you can bury a
bottle so they will slide down, and not be able to get out. Anyone know
what makes a good bait?

I don't know where you live, but I think you would do better in the long
run raising scorpions rather than letting the occasional one fall into a
trap.

From an article on training disabled Chinese to be productive:

// The training programme in Tieli county of Heilongjiang includes
education in the skill of raising scorpions, which are used in Chinese
medicine. Scorpion farming caught the imagination of Fei Ziyu, a
physically disabled man. In his first year of tending scorpions, 4,000
of them, Fei increased his annual income to 3,000 yuan (US$360).
Overjoyed with his success, Fei volunteered to train other physically
disabled persons. He organized a course for eight people interested in
raising scorpions. Fei hopes that other disabled people can have a
chance to earn a higher income and live a decent and comfortable life.
Raising scorpions is just one example of skills taught to people with
disabilities in rural areas. Training courses focus on applying new
skills to areas requiring low investment that lead to a significant rise
in income.//

--
Mike Easter
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Easter wrote:
Steve B wrote:

I'd like to catch some scorpions, and see if I can sell them.

I don't know where you live, but I think you would do better in the
long run raising scorpions rather than letting the occasional one
fall into a trap.

Overview article and resources on scorpion husbandry/hobby
http://tarantulaspiders.com/SCORPION...roduction.html

(example of content such as breeding)

Breeding scorpions/Raising up babies: For captive breeding success, I
recommend the following techniques and information:

Make sure you have "mature" scorpions of the opposite sex to breed.
Use a large tank (10-20 gallon) and provide multiple shelters.
Keep both scorpions well-fed, especially the female.
For desert/scrub and savanna habitat species, you will need to simulate
the "rainy season" by misting the tank substrate a few times a week.
Gestation period can be two months to 18 months (desert/scrub species
take the longest time.) Small, white embryos are laid and crawl onto the
females back. When you see this remove the male. When the babies come
off the mother's back and start to darken up, remove the female from the
tank. After molting out, feed the babies prey items that are similar to
the size of their bodies (usually pin-head and small crickets and for
small species, termites, wingless fruit flies and mini-meal worms.)

While you are marshalling your scorpion resources and waiting for
breeding success, you can be catching a few scorpions in a bottle.

--
Mike Easter
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 11:14:08 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

Anyone know
what makes a good bait?

Steve

"...Diet/Food

Scorpions are preditory. They often ambush their prey, lying in wait
as they sense its approach. They consume all types of insects,
spiders, centipedes and other scorpions. Larger scorpions may feed on
vertebrates, such as smaller lizards, snakes, and mice if they are
able to subdue them. They capture their prey with their pedipalps,
paralyzing them with their venom as well if necessary. The immobilized
prey is then subjected to an acid spray that dissolves the tissues,
allowing the scorpion to suck up the remains."

http://www.desertusa.com/oct96/du_scorpion.html#scorpionseat

Being stung by a Vinegaroon scorpian is said to leave a vinegar taste
in your mouth.

.... and road runners eat scorpions :-\
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/13/2013 11:20 PM, Oren wrote: