Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why do Microwave ovens change direction?

Why do Microwave ovens that have a rotating platter, change direction?
The platter seems to usually spin counter-clockwise. However, if I turn
it off to stir or check the food, the platter begins to turn clockwise.
It dont change direction once it's running, only when I stop it and
restart. This is the second microwave I've had that does this, and they
were different brand names.

Not only do I wonder *why* they change rotation, but *how*? I'm
guessing they use a shaded-pole motor (I'm not sure), and as far as I
know, those motors only turn one direction. Either CW or CCW.
Unless there's a belt driving them, there is not much room for any other
type of motor in the base of the oven.

Anyone know anything about this?