Posted to alt.home.repair

Default pressure washing concrete

I've had an outfit that has cleaned my driveway several times in 3
year intervals. They use this rotary thing that looks like a lawn
mower when doing my driveway (about 5 car lengths). I notice that
when they finish and it's dry, it has a tight grab on your shoes when
you walk on it... sorta like when you wear very rubbery shoes on a new
shiny wood floor. The driveway is definitely clean looking when they
finish it but I wonder if over repeated cleanings, it eats away at the
concrete finish? I realize without knowing the pressure, etc... this
question may be hard to answer but assume this company is legit and
following the correct procedures for cleaning a driveway. Am I crazy
or is my suspicion correct? Either way, is there a suggested time
interval to clean a driveway?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 20, 9:22*am, Doug wrote:
I've had an outfit that has cleaned my driveway several times in 3
year intervals. * They use this rotary thing that looks like a lawn
mower when doing my driveway (about 5 car lengths). * I notice that
when they finish and it's dry, it has a tight grab on your shoes when
you walk on it... sorta like when you wear very rubbery shoes on a new
shiny wood floor. * The driveway is definitely clean looking when they
finish it but I wonder if over repeated cleanings, it eats away at the
concrete finish? *I realize without knowing the pressure, etc... this
question may be hard to answer but assume this company is legit and
following the correct procedures for cleaning a driveway. * Am I crazy
or is my suspicion correct? * Either way, is there a suggested time
interval to clean a driveway?

It sounds like they are using something that also has a
brush in it? Regardless, even just pressure washing
is going to remove some tiny amount of concrete. But
you're doing it every 3 years, not every hour. You have
or should have 4" or more of concrete. Cleaining it
every year or so isn't going to erode enough in it's lifetime
to make a difference.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 08:22:48 -0600, Doug
wrote in Re pressure
washing concrete:

I wonder if over repeated cleanings, it eats away at the
concrete finish?

Yes it does. Next time they wash, check the run off with a magnifying
glass and you will see the surface particles that have been removed.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Jan 20, 8:22*am, Doug wrote:
I've had an outfit that has cleaned my driveway several times in 3
year intervals. * They use this rotary thing that looks like a lawn
mower when doing my driveway (about 5 car lengths). * I notice that
when they finish and it's dry, it has a tight grab on your shoes when
you walk on it... sorta like when you wear very rubbery shoes on a new
shiny wood floor. * The driveway is definitely clean looking when they
finish it but I wonder if over repeated cleanings, it eats away at the
concrete finish? *I realize without knowing the pressure, etc... this
question may be hard to answer but assume this company is legit and
following the correct procedures for cleaning a driveway. * Am I crazy
or is my suspicion correct? * Either way, is there a suggested time
interval to clean a driveway?

It will slowly take away the top lime & sand but doesn't harm the
gravel.
But heavy rains will do that too, just slower than pressure washing.
Old outside concrete shows a lot of aggregate but it's still strong
concrete.