Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fuzz

I just tapped in to a cable socket in the wall. This comes off another
cable socket on the other side of the wall that provides signal to that TV,
and that TV works fine. But the TV on this side has "fuzz", or "snow". I
changed the screw-on coax cable, but that didn't help, so I don't think it's
the coax.

How do I test what is wrong with this? I get picture and sound, just fuzz
and snow.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
I just tapped in to a cable socket in the wall. This comes off
another cable socket on the other side of the wall that provides
signal to that TV, and that TV works fine. But the TV on this side
has "fuzz", or "snow". I changed the screw-on coax cable, but that
didn't help, so I don't think it's the coax.

How do I test what is wrong with this? I get picture and sound, just
fuzz and snow.

Remove the splitter and just run the wire directly to the problem TV. Does it
still have a problem? It could be that the TV in question is less sensitive, and
needs a stronger signal. An amplifier/splitter could solve that problem.

Are you watching analog signals? I wouldn't expect snow with digital signals.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/12/2013 12:27 PM, Bob F wrote:

Are you watching analog signals? I wouldn't expect snow with digital signals.

Don't know what causes it but on our OTA digital on occasion it is what
is only describable as "snowy" -- it isn't quite the same as the analog
w/ ghosting, etc., but just fuzzy and washed-out looking.

Generally the low signal will simply cause dropouts or a full loss altho
it can also be that there's decent-enough video but the audio track has
so much breakup as to have to mute it for the annoyance factor.

Needless to say, they didn't do us any favors in remote areas w/ the
digital transition...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 10:32:02 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

I just tapped in to a cable socket in the wall. This comes off another
cable socket on the other side of the wall that provides signal to that TV,
and that TV works fine. But the TV on this side has "fuzz", or "snow". I
changed the screw-on coax cable, but that didn't help, so I don't think it's
the coax.

How do I test what is wrong with this? I get picture and sound, just fuzz
and snow.

Steve

Change to channel 3?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 12, 11:32*am, "Steve B" wrote:
I just tapped in to a cable socket in the wall. *This comes off another
cable socket on the other side of the wall that provides signal to that TV,
and that TV works fine. *But the TV on this side has "fuzz", or "snow". *I
changed the screw-on coax cable, but that didn't help, so I don't think it's
the coax.

How do I test what is wrong with this? *I get picture and sound, just fuzz
and snow.

Steve

Where do the signals come from? Is there a splitter somewhere in the
wall between the two outlets? Have you tried the poor tv on the other
cable outlet, it might be the cable or it might be the tv! Have you
removed the cover plate to see what is in the wall? Lots for you to
do and tell us what happens.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 12, 3:42*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Jan 12, 11:32*am, "Steve B" wrote:

I just tapped in to a cable socket in the wall. *This comes off another
cable socket on the other side of the wall that provides signal to that TV,
and that TV works fine. *But the TV on this side has "fuzz", or "snow". *I
changed the screw-on coax cable, but that didn't help, so I don't think it's
the coax.

How do I test what is wrong with this? *I get picture and sound, just fuzz
and snow.

Steve

Where do the signals come from? *Is there a splitter somewhere in the
wall between the two outlets? *Have you tried the poor tv on the other
cable outlet, it might be the cable or it might be the tv! *Have you
removed the cover plate to see what is in the wall? *Lots for you to
do and tell us what happens.

screw on connectors dont work as well as the crimp on type.....

might well be a poor connection somehere.

try loosening then tightening all connectors
Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Jan 12, 11:32*am, "Steve B" wrote:
I just tapped in to a cable socket in the wall. *This comes off another
cable socket on the other side of the wall that provides signal to that TV,
and that TV works fine. *But the TV on this side has "fuzz", or "snow". *I
changed the screw-on coax cable, but that didn't help, so I don't think it's
the coax.

How do I test what is wrong with this? *I get picture and sound, just fuzz
and snow.

Steve

Some possibilities of the cable between the sockets:
1. Cables need a good ground coverage by the outer shield and
connected at both ends.
2. Cables can have 1, 2, or 4 layers of ground coverage. 1 is poor and
4 (quad) is great.
3. Cables need to be run a minimum of 8" from any electrical wires to
prevent AC interference.