Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fastener control

I have about four 5 gallon buckets of fasteners. Plus half empty boxes.
Plus coffee cans. Plus, plus, plus. I got fasteners coming out of the
woodwork like cockroaches.

I bought six very nice sized plastic drawer organizers at a yard sale over
the weekend for $50. I have seen them for about $30 per. Problem is, they
were FULL of fasteners. Every stinking drawer.

Thought I'd get ahead of the game, but stayed the same.

What do you use for fasteners storage?

I was thinking of making bins out of wood, and all sorts of things. Then, I
thought of various sized mason jars, with the lids screwed to the underside
of a shelf. Easy visibility. Graduated sized jars for small - medium -
large fasteners. Stick on labels.

Any other ideas for how to organize about two million fasteners?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, December 17, 2012 2:41:37 PM UTC-3:30, Steve B wrote:
I have about four 5 gallon buckets of fasteners. Plus half empty boxes.

Plus coffee cans. Plus, plus, plus. I got fasteners coming out of the

woodwork like cockroaches.

I bought six very nice sized plastic drawer organizers at a yard sale over

the weekend for $50. I have seen them for about $30 per. Problem is, they

were FULL of fasteners. Every stinking drawer.

Thought I'd get ahead of the game, but stayed the same.

What do you use for fasteners storage?

I was thinking of making bins out of wood, and all sorts of things. Then, I

thought of various sized mason jars, with the lids screwed to the underside

of a shelf. Easy visibility. Graduated sized jars for small - medium -

large fasteners. Stick on labels.

Any other ideas for how to organize about two million fasteners?

Steve

No ideas from me, but apparently you're not the only one with a problem:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...wall=1&t=12504
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/17/2012 12:11 PM, Steve B wrote:
I have about four 5 gallon buckets of fasteners. Plus half empty boxes.
Plus coffee cans. Plus, plus, plus. I got fasteners coming out of the
woodwork like cockroaches.

I bought six very nice sized plastic drawer organizers at a yard sale over
the weekend for $50. I have seen them for about $30 per. Problem is, they
were FULL of fasteners. Every stinking drawer.

Thought I'd get ahead of the game, but stayed the same.

What do you use for fasteners storage?

I was thinking of making bins out of wood, and all sorts of things. Then, I
thought of various sized mason jars, with the lids screwed to the underside
of a shelf. Easy visibility. Graduated sized jars for small - medium -
large fasteners. Stick on labels.

Any other ideas for how to organize about two million fasteners?

Steve

I'm fond of pasta so I wind up with plastic grated cheese containers
that are Coke can sized and they have a plastic top with two flip open
lids. You can flip open one of the lids and shake out the number of
screws you need when you're building a project. I'm a hardware junkie
too. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Steve B" wrote:

Any other ideas for how to organize about two million fasteners?

I bought an old drill press from some filthy rich guy a few years ago.
His basement workshop was a palace. Had the most useful and organized
hardware storage system I've ever seen.

And I don't remember thing one about it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 11:11:37 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

I have about four 5 gallon buckets of fasteners. Plus half empty boxes.
Plus coffee cans. Plus, plus, plus. I got fasteners coming out of the
woodwork like cockroaches.

I bought six very nice sized plastic drawer organizers at a yard sale over
the weekend for $50. I have seen them for about $30 per. Problem is, they
were FULL of fasteners. Every stinking drawer.

Thought I'd get ahead of the game, but stayed the same.

What do you use for fasteners storage?

I was thinking of making bins out of wood, and all sorts of things. Then, I
thought of various sized mason jars, with the lids screwed to the underside
of a shelf. Easy visibility. Graduated sized jars for small - medium -
large fasteners. Stick on labels.

Any other ideas for how to organize about two million fasteners?

Steve

I have no solution. I do know that as I sort thru my collection
looking for the right fastener for today's project I will sometimes
come across a particular old bolt from something I took apart 40 years
ago and it gives me a nice warm feeling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I used to have way too many different type fasteners to put in the
drawer type cabinets.
So I put the easily sorted and "specialty" stuff in the drawers, and
the rest in open metal boxes. Simple cookie or candy tins, not bought
boxes. Wide is more important than deep.
Basically small nuts/bolts in one, big in another.
Then the same with wood fasteners, big screws in one, small in
another. Same with masonry fasteners.
Just kept the tins on or under a workbench, depending on how often I
used them. The former owner of the house was a carpenter/handyman and
left all kinds of fasteners behind, He asked if I wanted the basement
cleaned and I told him "No."
Never used most of it, like the lead masonry plugs, but did use many
screws and other fasteners/brackets he left behind.
The main thing with the unsorted stuff in bolt and screw tins is don't
load them too deep, so you spot what you need with minimum digging.

Fastener Control Steve B[_13_] Metalworking 7 December 18th 12 05:23 AM
Name for fastener Jethro[_5_] UK diy 7 August 10th 11 11:45 AM
Fastener FAQ? MiamiCuse Home Repair 11 December 30th 08 03:01 PM
Have you seen this fastener? [email protected][_2_] Woodworking 2 October 9th 07 09:15 PM
Fastener for 5/8 MDF baseboard Yc Woodworking 44 April 13th 04 05:11 AM