Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Name for fastener

sometimes seen on the drop-down part of trucks ... it has a lozenge
shaped plate of metal with a cutout in the centre which is fixed into a
bolt which screws into the substrate. The flap has a hole which this
faster passes through, and you then slide the metal plate which drops
down and locks the flap in place.

Can you get small (c. 5-10mm ?) ones for a DIY project to screw into
wood ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro wrote:
sometimes seen on the drop-down part of trucks ... it has a lozenge
shaped plate of metal with a cutout in the centre which is fixed into a
bolt which screws into the substrate. The flap has a hole which this
faster passes through, and you then slide the metal plate which drops
down and locks the flap in place.

Can you get small (c. 5-10mm ?) ones for a DIY project to screw into
wood ?

It is called an antiluce.

You can get small ones for DIY trailer building but possibly not as
small as you want. They are generally bolt on or weld in.

hth

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 09 Aug 2011 14:15:42 +0100, Bob Minchin wrote:

Jethro wrote:
sometimes seen on the drop-down part of trucks ... it has a lozenge
shaped plate of metal with a cutout in the centre which is fixed into a
bolt which screws into the substrate. The flap has a hole which this
faster passes through, and you then slide the metal plate which drops
down and locks the flap in place.

Can you get small (c. 5-10mm ?) ones for a DIY project to screw into
wood ?

It is called an antiluce.

You can get small ones for DIY trailer building but possibly not as
small as you want. They are generally bolt on or weld in.

hth

Bob

Great - thanks. My vague plan, is, having bought and built our BBQ/
Smoking shelter:
http://www.shedstore.co.uk/garden-st...rage/barbecue-
shelter-pt/bbq-plus-barbecue-shelter-5-by-4

to fit a couple of plastic sheets for windproofing when not BBQing.
Originally I was going to drill a large hole underneath a small one and
join the two with a channel the width of a screw. Then I figured that
since sheet plastic can be a pig to work, these fasteners might be
better, if they can screw into wood.

Oh well, I shall experiment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2011 14:15, Bob Minchin wrote:
Jethro wrote:
sometimes seen on the drop-down part of trucks ... it has a lozenge
shaped plate of metal with a cutout in the centre which is fixed into a
bolt which screws into the substrate. The flap has a hole which this
faster passes through, and you then slide the metal plate which drops
down and locks the flap in place.

Can you get small (c. 5-10mm ?) ones for a DIY project to screw into
wood ?

It is called an antiluce.

You can get small ones for DIY trailer building but possibly not as
small as you want. They are generally bolt on or weld in.

There are some about with 8mm shafts - not sure if the op was specifying
shaft clearance or the diameter of the main toggle bit:

http://www.whb.org.uk/acatalog/Anti_luce_Droplocks.html

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro wrote:
sometimes seen on the drop-down part of trucks ... it has a lozenge
shaped plate of metal with a cutout in the centre which is fixed into
a bolt which screws into the substrate. The flap has a hole which this
faster passes through, and you then slide the metal plate which drops
down and locks the flap in place.

Can you get small (c. 5-10mm ?) ones for a DIY project to screw into
wood ?

It is called an antiluce.

You can get small ones for DIY trailer building but possibly not as
small as you want. They are generally bolt on or weld in.

There are some about with 8mm shafts - not sure if the op was specifying
shaft clearance or the diameter of the main toggle bit:

http://www.whb.org.uk/acatalog/Anti_luce_Droplocks.html

thanks - seen those, but I was hoping for something to go into wood ...
maybe my original idea of cutting a keyhole into the plastic is the way
to go ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro wrote:
[...]

You can get threaded inserts that go into wood - might work with one of
the bolt ended ones?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jethro
writes

Jethro wrote:
[...]

Nowhere near as strong but used to hold my tonneau cover on:-)

Turnbuckle fastener....

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/L...uckle_Fastener
s_TBLN

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 9, 2:15*pm, Bob Minchin
wrote:

You can get small ones for DIY trailer building but possibly not as
small as you want. They are generally bolt on or weld in.

As they rely on weight, small ones don't work too well anyway. For
smaller sizes, you start to need some sort of spring in there, hence
the Dzus fastener.

Door fastener? Steve[_56_] UK diy 2 June 20th 10 05:21 PM
Fastener FAQ? MiamiCuse Home Repair 11 December 30th 08 03:01 PM
Have you seen this fastener? [email protected][_2_] Woodworking 2 October 9th 07 09:15 PM
What kind of fastener is this? [email protected] Metalworking 9 August 30th 07 06:23 AM
drywall fastener... [email protected] Home Repair 6 February 13th 07 06:20 PM