Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cable Tunneling: Mystery Mole?

Per "PV" edrnouser@ spam telus.net:

http://www.ditchwitch.com/trenchless...s/compact/JT5/

The link above shows one type of machinery involved, Vermeer is another
manufacturer/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI-vVLJRZdg seems to show the
process.

Looks like I was off-base thinking that it could do curves.

I'm guessing that the operator keeps it level just by experience
and luck and that gray device that the helper is carrying along
as the bore progresses is just a sensor to tell where the bit is.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
Per "PV" edrnouser@ spam telus.net:

http://www.ditchwitch.com/trenchless...s/compact/JT5/

The link above shows one type of machinery involved, Vermeer is another
manufacturer/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI-vVLJRZdg seems to show the
process.

Looks like I was off-base thinking that it could do curves.

I'm guessing that the operator keeps it level just by experience
and luck and that gray device that the helper is carrying along
as the bore progresses is just a sensor to tell where the bit is.
--
Pete Cresswell

The drill bit can be steered using the location info supplied by the gray
device.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
Per "PV" edrnouser@ spam telus.net:

http://www.ditchwitch.com/trenchless...s/compact/JT5/

The link above shows one type of machinery involved, Vermeer is another
manufacturer/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI-vVLJRZdg seems to show the
process.

Looks like I was off-base thinking that it could do curves.

I'm guessing that the operator keeps it level just by experience
and luck and that gray device that the helper is carrying along
as the bore progresses is just a sensor to tell where the bit is.
--
Pete Cresswell

No they can be steered.
The drill bit is assymetric.
When it is rotating as it advances it goes in a straight line.
To be steered off, it is hydraulically pushed while not rotating.
Due to being eccentric, it then goes off at an angle.
There is an electronic device inside the drill bit communicates it's
orientation so the direction can be determined

MOLE HELP Doug Miller Home Repair 0 December 22nd 08 01:23 PM
Tunneling - Part Two Bill Stock Home Repair 15 July 21st 07 08:28 PM
dog tunneling under chain link fence dkhedmo Home Repair 71 December 9th 06 04:10 AM
Tunneling under house to access sewer pipes miamicuse Home Repair 15 July 23rd 05 04:26 AM
tunneling under slab -- safety issues? FlashFyre Home Repair 3 January 21st 04 04:45 PM