Posted to alt.home.repair

Default candle wax in Ipod connector (on the charger cord)

Wife dropped (dipped) the Ipod connector end of the Ipod battery
charger cord in hot candle wax (she dicks with mood candles ALL the
time). I don't dare "scrub" it out (many little contacts - doesn't
look too rugged). I'd like to wash out the wax with a thinner of some
kind by soaking it. Any suggestions on what to use?

I don't know what kind of plastic the connector body is made of. It
is an Apple product - not a knock off.

Yes yes.. I know. It's iPod... I simply refuse! :-)

Thank you
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 5, 8:34*pm, oldyork90 wrote:
Wife dropped (dipped) the Ipod connector end of the Ipod battery
charger cord in hot candle wax (she dicks with mood candles ALL the
time). *I don't dare "scrub" it out (many little contacts - doesn't
look too rugged). *I'd like to wash out the wax with a thinner of some
kind by soaking it. *Any suggestions on what to use?

I don't know what kind of plastic the connector body is made of. *It
is an Apple product - not a knock off.

Yes yes.. I know. *It's iPod... I simply refuse! *:-)

Thank you

Naptha will dissolve candle wax without harming much else, I would put/
submerge the connector in a little bowl of Naptha, and then swish it
around fairly vigorously for 30 seconds or so, take out, blow dry and
then let dry for 5 minutes, and then try it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

oldyork90 wrote:
Wife dropped (dipped) the Ipod connector end of the Ipod battery
charger cord in hot candle wax (she dicks with mood candles ALL the
time). I don't dare "scrub" it out (many little contacts - doesn't
look too rugged). I'd like to wash out the wax with a thinner of some
kind by soaking it. Any suggestions on what to use?

I don't know what kind of plastic the connector body is made of. It
is an Apple product - not a knock off.

Yes yes.. I know. It's iPod... I simply refuse! :-)

Thank you

Try wicking out wax after heating with hair dryer. Thinking of finely woven
material that will not shred. See what kind of heat will melt with second
experiment without connector.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair
AL AL is offline

On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 22:06:01 -0500, Marilyn & Bob
wrote:

On 12/5/2012 9:42 PM, hr(bob) wrote:
On Dec 5, 8:34 pm, oldyork90 wrote:
Wife dropped (dipped) the Ipod connector end of the Ipod battery
charger cord in hot candle wax (she dicks with mood candles ALL the
time). I don't dare "scrub" it out (many little contacts - doesn't
look too rugged). I'd like to wash out the wax with a thinner of some
kind by soaking it. Any suggestions on what to use?

I don't know what kind of plastic the connector body is made of. It
is an Apple product - not a knock off.

Yes yes.. I know. It's iPod... I simply refuse! :-)

Thank you

Naptha will dissolve candle wax without harming much else, I would put/
submerge the connector in a little bowl of Naptha, and then swish it
around fairly vigorously for 30 seconds or so, take out, blow dry and
then let dry for 5 minutes, and then try it.

I'd go on eBay and get a brand new cable for $3 or so including
shipping. Probably made in the same plant in China as the one Apple
sells. The risk of getting a bit of the wax inside the iPod jack that
you cannot remove is just too great. The eBay cable will work as good
as the Apple one. And perhaps for a dollar or two more you can get the
cable with a plug-in charger if you don't already have one.

Or if you don't want to wait check your local Walmart. Mine carries
them for under 10 bucks IIRC.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 Dec 2012 18:34:46 -0800 (PST), oldyork90
wrote:

Wife dropped (dipped) the Ipod connector end of the Ipod battery
charger cord in hot candle wax (she dicks with mood candles ALL the
time). I don't dare "scrub" it out (many little contacts - doesn't
look too rugged). I'd like to wash out the wax with a thinner of some
kind by soaking it. Any suggestions on what to use?

I don't know what kind of plastic the connector body is made of. It
is an Apple product - not a knock off.

Yes yes.. I know. It's iPod... I simply refuse! :-)

Thank you

Begin by getting a lawyer to file the divorce papers.
(Any woman that "DICKS" with candles is one I would not want to be near)

Then buy a new cord.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--
Peace,
bobJ

Good thinking. While I like the naphtha idea, if wax gets in that
Ipod - that could be it. Even $10 would then be cheap. Thanks.