Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Name that tune

Bought some LED recessed lighting through HD, by Lithonia lighting back in
June. Nice lights, a bit pricey, supposed to last 35k hours.

Here we are in November, and one of the (21) lights I put in, decided to
start humming.

Home Depot no longer carries this style (bought on internet), they say it's
discontinued.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=202744627&storeId=10051&l angId=-1&catalogId=10053&cm_sp=BazVoice%2d%5f%2dQA%5fPSVP %2d%5f%2d202744627%2d%5f%2dx#.ULYkZCCayiA

Tried to send a email to Lithonia, through the information box on one of
their pages. It comes back undeliverable.

So, since I'm not having any luck with customer service, figure someone can
name the tune being hummed. :/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/28/2012 10:43 AM, Sherm wrote:
Bought some LED recessed lighting through HD, by Lithonia lighting back in
June. Nice lights, a bit pricey, supposed to last 35k hours.

Here we are in November, and one of the (21) lights I put in, decided to
start humming.

Home Depot no longer carries this style (bought on internet), they say it's
discontinued.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=202744627&storeId=10051&l angId=-1&catalogId=10053&cm_sp=BazVoice%2d%5f%2dQA%5fPSVP %2d%5f%2d202744627%2d%5f%2dx#.ULYkZCCayiA

Tried to send a email to Lithonia, through the information box on one of
their pages. It comes back undeliverable.

So, since I'm not having any luck with customer service, figure someone can
name the tune being hummed. :/

I have a few cfl hummers. Probably in the electronics and not the light
source itself. Don't transformers often hum? May be a real old tune.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Inductors and transformers sometimes do hum. The OP needs to open this
lamp up and see what's in there. When he has it open he can listen to find
the noisy part.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DA DA is offline

responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ne-723902-.htm
DA wrote:
David L. Martel wrote:

Inductors and transformers sometimes do hum. The OP needs to open
this
lamp up and see what's in there. When he has it open he can listen to
find
the noisy part.

And look on the bright side, too: if it wasn't for the inductor, some of the LEDs in that light will have already fried. I have a string of LED lights made Lights of America that just happen to not have the current limiting inductor and they last for about 1 use average (not 1hr, just one use - they burn up when you turn them on - so you used them once, turn them back on again and they're gone). I've been following this LED light hacking/repair saga for years now: http://elabz.com/hacking-lights-of-america-led-lights/ and it looks like it comes down to the manufacturer saving $0.02 on an inductor that's causing the light to fail.

Also on the bright side: if you can hear it humming, it must be a larger inductor (and it would have to be for a 15W LED) and so it would be easy to identify and replace - this is definitely not an SMD part you can find in smaller lights. And yes, I would definitely open it up and replace the $1~$3 inductor given that it was a $60 light.

--

/\_/\
((@v@)) NIGHT

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bought some LED recessed lighting through HD, by Lithonia lighting back in
June. Nice lights, a bit pricey, supposed to last 35k hours.

Here we are in November, and one of the (21) lights I put in, decided to
start humming.

Home Depot no longer carries this style (bought on internet), they say
it's discontinued.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=202744627&storeId=10051&l angId=-1&catalogId=10053&cm_sp=BazVoice%2d%5f%2dQA%5fPSVP %2d%5f%2d202744627%2d%5f%2dx#.ULYkZCCayiA

Tried to send a email to Lithonia, through the information box on one of
their pages. It comes back undeliverable.

So, since I'm not having any luck with customer service, figure someone
can name the tune being hummed. :/

*I have found that trying to email some manufacturers can be a waste of
time. Lithonia is a reputable company and I have called them about ballast
issues and have received free replacements. Call them on the phone and talk
to a human. Have your model number ready. If you have the fixtures less
than a year you may get warranty service.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

[...]

Contacted them through Facebook. Got an immediate response. I then emailed
them, they are shipping me a new light (no charge). Even offered to pay
labor, if I sent a copy of bill. Being they're so easy to change out, no
labor. Kudos to Lithonia!

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

*Thanks for posting the happy ending. I never thought to try connecting
through Facebook.

How to do the Oreck tune-up jb Home Repair 2 December 24th 06 02:22 PM
Generator Tune-Up - What Have I done? Fred McKenzie Electronics Repair 9 July 17th 06 03:11 AM
Grinder Tune-Up Roland Woodturning 1 July 9th 06 09:13 PM
Table saw tune up BD Woodworking 9 March 21st 06 10:11 PM
BS Tune up Rob V Woodworking 6 November 16th 03 05:03 AM