Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

Default Running fridge without an evaporator fan, or with a noisy one?

I was at a friend's house earlier tonight and his fridge was
squealling and screaching like a 'coon in a trap. It went on for
abpit 30, 90, or 10 seconds and then there would be a quet time for 2
to 10 seconds, and it would start up again.

Some times the pictch changed, like it was a mama 'coon.

Does this sound like a fan or the compressor?

IF it's a fan, which isr better, that is, not as bad , to run the
fridge while it makes the noise, or to disconnect what I think I show
below is the bad evaporator fan behind the freezer compartment and run
it without the fan at all. Will it cool the freezer or fridge
without the fan?

What are the odds that running the fridge while it makes this noise
will set the whole thing on fire? Or do more damage than just the bad
fan? It turns out he had this noise the previous night too, turned
the thing off, and forgot there was a problem. Now the chicken in the
freezer is soft, the fridge is 48F, and he wants to run the whole
thing o get back to the temp it was. Must he turn it off now? Before
he goes to sleep? After he puts new batteries in the smoke detector?

He tells me the chicken has gotten harder.

And can I just buy him another evaporator fan before I go over there
again, once I get the model number, or do I have to checkfirst iif the
fan is really the problem?

TIA
Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 01:56:42 -0500, wrote:

I was at a friend's house earlier tonight and his fridge was
squealling and screaching like a 'coon in a trap. It went on for
abpit 30, 90, or 10 seconds and then there would be a quet time for 2
to 10 seconds, and it would start up again.

Some times the pictch changed, like it was a mama 'coon.

Does this sound like a fan or the compressor?

IF it's a fan, which isr better, that is, not as bad , to run the
fridge while it makes the noise, or to disconnect what I think I show
below is the bad evaporator fan behind the freezer compartment and run
it without the fan at all. Will it cool the freezer or fridge
without the fan?

If he wants to save money by buying online, can we leave it running
like this, with no fan or a squealking fan, for several days until the
package comes? Which is better?

TIA

What are the odds that running the fridge while it makes this noise
will set the whole thing on fire? Or do more damage than just the bad
fan? It turns out he had this noise the previous night too, turned
the thing off, and forgot there was a problem. Now the chicken in the
freezer is soft, the fridge is 48F, and he wants to run the whole
thing o get back to the temp it was. Must he turn it off now? Before
he goes to sleep? After he puts new batteries in the smoke detector?

He tells me the chicken has gotten harder.

And can I just buy him another evaporator fan before I go over there
again, once I get the model number, or do I have to checkfirst iif the
fan is really the problem?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 28, 6:56*am, wrote:
[...]

It probably only needs a drop of oil on the condenser fan (if there is
one).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 01:51:16 -0800, SMS
wrote:

On 11/27/2012 10:56 PM, wrote:

What are the odds that running the fridge while it makes this noise
will set the whole thing on fire? Or do more damage than just the bad
fan? It turns out he had this noise the previous night too, turned
the thing off, and forgot there was a problem.

I must confess. When I said a friend's fridge, it was really mine.
Maybe I was embarrassed because I did nothing the first 24 hours. I
apologize. But since it's mine, I've been able to work on it in the
middle of the night.

You can't run without the evaporator fan. You'll ice up. The
refrigerator will no longer get cold air blown down from the freezer.

Since I last posted, I took the rear panel out of thre freezer, so I
think letting the fan run won't actually blow any air over the fins.

I'm too lazy to put it back together until I get a new motor, unless
icing up will hurt soimething?

The freezer coils are the only ones, right? There is nothing
separate for the fridge part?

I just replaced the evaporator fan motor in a relative's refrigerator. A
ten minute job and a $36 part off of Amazon. Remember, you get only the
motor, you have to use the old fan blade. At least that was the case for
the one I fixed.

Thanks for the price and the warnings.

I just picked a vide at random**, without any model number, and it
looked exactly like my fridge (exept it didn't seem to have a light in
the freezer.) My fridge is 33 years old Are they all alike for
decades? Or did I just get lucky?

And the motor/bracket looked just like mine, so I took the part number
he gave, and yes, I foudn on on Amazon for 3

**Not worth watching for anyone who doesn't need to do this now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuDjsbJ2aCs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 23:09:30 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

On Nov 28, 6:56*am, wrote:
I was at a friend's house earlier tonight and his fridge was
squealling and screaching like a 'coon in a trap. * *It went on for
abpit 30, 90, *or 10 seconds and then there would be a quet time for 2
to 10 seconds, and it would start up again.

the chicken has gotten harder.

TIA

It probably only needs a drop of oil on the condenser fan (if there is
one).

Thanks. I'll try to use some oil to keep the fan spinning at least
until I get another motor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I was at a friend's house earlier tonight and his fridge was
squealling and screaching like a 'coon in a trap. It went on for
abpit 30, 90, or 10 seconds and then there would be a quet time for 2
to 10 seconds, and it would start up again.

Some times the pictch changed, like it was a mama 'coon.
CY: Yep, that's annoying noise.

Does this sound like a fan or the compressor?
CY: Could be either. You can tell by the location of the sound.

IF it's a fan, which isr better, that is, not as bad , to run the
fridge while it makes the noise, or to disconnect what I think I show
below is the bad evaporator fan behind the freezer compartment and run
it without the fan at all. Will it cool the freezer or fridge
without the fan?

CY:Without evap fan, typically the fridge warms up, and the freezer gets too
cold. Sometimes the food melts in the front of the freezer.

What are the odds that running the fridge while it makes this noise
will set the whole thing on fire?
CY: I've never seen that happen.

Or do more damage than just the bad
fan?
CY: Might have some food warm up.

It turns out he had this noise the previous night too, turned
the thing off, and forgot there was a problem. Now the chicken in the
freezer is soft, the fridge is 48F, and he wants to run the whole
thing o get back to the temp it was.
CY: if the fan is noisy and blowing, it might get to temp, again.

Must he turn it off now? Before
he goes to sleep? After he puts new batteries in the smoke detector?
CY: Not a big safety problem.

He tells me the chicken has gotten harder.
CY: If it's thawed, mgiht not be safe chicken to eat.

And can I just buy him another evaporator fan before I go over there
again, once I get the model number, or do I have to checkfirst iif the
fan is really the problem?

CY: I'd want to know it's the problem.

TIA

CY: Chris.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I see you've got the back of the freezer apart. Try removing the fan,
cleaning it with spray can of brake cleaner. Reoil with a couple drops of
ND-20 or ND-30.

Then, remit $47.50 for internet consultation.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

If he wants to save money by buying online, can we leave it running
like this, with no fan or a squealking fan, for several days until the
package comes? Which is better?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote:
On Nov 28, 6:56 am, wrote:
[...]

More likely it needs a new bearing.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 11/28/2012 2:08 AM, micky wrote:

I just picked a vide at random**, without any model number, and it
looked exactly like my fridge (exept it didn't seem to have a light in
the freezer.) My fridge is 33 years old Are they all alike for
decades? Or did I just get lucky?

The one I did looked a little different, but basically the same. A
nutdriver set is useful. If there's an ice maker then you probably need
to remove it. Mine had a 3 pin Molex connector not individual terminals.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Refrig evap fans are rip and replace.

The OP is describing evap fan noise,
so Home Guy is clueless, again.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"dadiOH" wrote in message

It probably only needs a drop of oil on the condenser fan (if there is
one).

More likely it needs a new bearing.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 10:15:29 -0800, sms
wrote:

On 11/28/2012 2:08 AM, micky wrote:

I just picked a vide at random**, without any model number, and it
looked exactly like my fridge (exept it didn't seem to have a light in
the freezer.) My fridge is 33 years old Are they all alike for
decades? Or did I just get lucky?

The one I did looked a little different, but basically the same. A
nutdriver set is useful. If there's an ice maker then you probably need
to remove it. Mine had a 3 pin Molex connector not individual terminals.

I ended up, so far, letting the fridge run without the fan for 16
hours and there was frost on the fins but nowhere near filling the gap
between the fins.

I let it run 3 more hours, and when I looked again, the frost was gone
and water was dripping from the backboard and maybe the fins. So
somethiing seems to have made it defrost. It wasn't working for a
while yesterday either, but I guess it went on again.

At any rate, I'm waiting for the ebay vendor to say when he shipped.
The webpage said it would arrive Saturday or Monday. If Saturday is
still a possibility, I'll not put the motor back in and if it's got to
be Monday, I will. Hmmm. I can test the motor without putting it
in, just with a cord with alligator clips on the end, so maybe I'll
remember to do that. . (3 connections on the motor but one is just a
ground.)

All in all, I panicked for some reason. I can live without cooking,
and I can even cook without the stove (tmicrowave, oaster oven, George
Forman grill, gas grill outside) , but I thought I might have to rush
out and buy a fridge. Not cold enough here yet to use the outside.

Loads of vendors selling this fan with a bracket that fits, and some
with brackets that wouldn't fit, but the pictures are very clear,
clear enough if I had one of those fridges. I'm sure what he sends
me will fit and be fine.

Thanks to eveyrone.

Frosted evaporator coils; warm fridge ATL Home Repair 7 January 16th 07 05:31 PM
Noisy Whirlpool fridge freezer - are they all? Dave UK diy 3 August 15th 05 10:28 PM
Noisy Fridge [email protected] Home Repair 6 June 9th 05 05:40 AM
Noisy Running Water tonym Home Repair 3 April 25th 05 09:27 PM
Whirlpool Fridge Timer is Noisy Claire Home Repair 1 March 19th 05 01:43 PM