Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Another Space Heater Question - Oil Filled

Picture an oil filled space heater no thermostat switched to the 15KW
setting.

Picture it in a closed room with no thermostat in a house that is kept
at 68 F by a thermostat in another room. Assume that the heat from the
space heater does not reach the thermostat.

Now picture the space heater sitting outside on a 35 F day.

Does it use the same amount of electricity in both situations?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 27, 4:40*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Picture an oil filled space heater no thermostat switched to the 15KW
setting.

Picture it in a closed room with no thermostat in a house that is kept
at 68 F by a thermostat in another room. Assume that the heat from the
space heater does not reach the thermostat.

Now picture the space heater sitting outside on a 35 F day.

Does it use the same amount of electricity in both situations?

yes, since in both cases it runs full on
Posted to alt.home.repair

Picture an oil filled space heater no thermostat switched to the 15KW
setting.

Picture it in a closed room with no thermostat in a house that is kept
at 68 F by a thermostat in another room. Assume that the heat from the
space heater does not reach the thermostat.

Now picture the space heater sitting outside on a 35 F day.

Does it use the same amount of electricity in both situations?

*It's 15kw inside and 15kw outside.
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:
On Nov 27, 4:40 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Picture an oil filled space heater no thermostat switched to the 15KW
setting.

Picture it in a closed room with no thermostat in a house that is kept
at 68 F by a thermostat in another room. Assume that the heat from the
space heater does not reach the thermostat.

Now picture the space heater sitting outside on a 35 F day.

Does it use the same amount of electricity in both situations?

yes, since in both cases it runs full on

Might be a small increase in the power to the colder unit, because of a
slight decrease in heater element resistance.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
Picture an oil filled space heater no thermostat switched to the 15KW
setting.

Picture it in a closed room with no thermostat in a house that is kept
at 68 F by a thermostat in another room. Assume that the heat from the
space heater does not reach the thermostat.

Now picture the space heater sitting outside on a 35 F day.

Does it use the same amount of electricity in both situations?

15kw = 15000 watts ---- that is one massive portable heater, should get the
oil boiling in short order.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 13:40:25 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Picture an oil filled space heater no thermostat switched to the 15KW
setting.

Picture it in a closed room with no thermostat in a house that is kept
at 68 F by a thermostat in another room. Assume that the heat from the
space heater does not reach the thermostat.

Now picture the space heater sitting outside on a 35 F day.

Does it use the same amount of electricity in both situations?

I think you meant 1.5 KW or 1500 watts.

Assuming the heater is "on" all the time, yes. If, however, the
closed room eventually heats up and shuts off the heater, it will stop
using power. Heat generated by it will also escape the room and
migrate to the rest of the house and lower the consumption of that
fuel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Might be a small increase in the power to the colder unit, because of a
slight decrease in heater element resistance.

Greg

while the cold electrical heaters resistance is a bit lower at start
up, so a small increase in heat, but this only lasts for seconds at
most. till the resistance wire is hot.

so the overall power consumption is basically the same,,,,,, a
insignifacant difference

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Picture an oil filled space heater no thermostat switched to the 15KW
setting.

Picture it in a closed room with no thermostat in a house that is kept
at 68 F by a thermostat in another room. Assume that the heat from the
space heater does not reach the thermostat.

Now picture the space heater sitting outside on a 35 F day.

Does it use the same amount of electricity in both situations?

Yes - IF the heater has no thermostat - BUT, a 1500 watt heater, oil
filled or not, could soon become dangerously overheated. The oil
filled units HAVE an internal non-adjustable thermostat that limits
the temperature to a safe level.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Picture an oil filled space heater no thermostat switched to the 15KW
setting.

Picture it in a closed room with no thermostat in a house that is kept
at 68 F by a thermostat in another room. Assume that the heat from the
space heater does not reach the thermostat.

Now picture the space heater sitting outside on a 35 F day.

Does it use the same amount of electricity in both situations?

Yes - IF the heater has no thermostat - BUT, a 1500 watt heater, oil
filled or not, could soon become dangerously overheated. The oil
filled units HAVE an internal non-adjustable thermostat that limits
the temperature to a safe level.

I have made temp measurement on three levels on mine. High is well over 200
degrees. Low, something like 160 degrees in room temperature. I keep them
far enough away from walls.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, 15 KW should be the same. The warm room application would get hotter
oil temps.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
Picture an oil filled space heater no thermostat switched to the 15KW
setting.

Picture it in a closed room with no thermostat in a house that is kept
at 68 F by a thermostat in another room. Assume that the heat from the
space heater does not reach the thermostat.

Now picture the space heater sitting outside on a 35 F day.

Does it use the same amount of electricity in both situations?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 11/27/2012 8:19 PM, wrote:

wrote:

Picture an oil filled space heater no thermostat switched to the 15KW
setting.

Picture it in a closed room with no thermostat in a house that is kept
at 68 F by a thermostat in another room. Assume that the heat from the
space heater does not reach the thermostat.

Now picture the space heater sitting outside on a 35 F day.

Does it use the same amount of electricity in both situations?
Yes - IF the heater has no thermostat - BUT, a 1500 watt heater, oil
filled or not, could soon become dangerously overheated. The oil
filled units HAVE an internal non-adjustable thermostat that limits
the temperature to a safe level.
and a 15000 watt unit even MORE dangerous - if it existed as an oil
filled space heater.

Perhaps there are some industrial units that big for some sort of heat
curing or drying process? I could see a 15kw oil filled heater in an
environmental test chamber for various items. ^_^

Or you could just get ten 1.5 kW units....

15kw electric heat is not unusual to add to a central AC system if there
is no NG or propane available for a furnace but it runs on 240 volts ac.
You won't be able to use that Christmas tree light extension cord. O_o

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You would need a big breaker. I have a 4500 watt garage heater on a 30 amp
breaker. I don't know, but every fan blown heater i use starts out blowing
real slow, then speeds up.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

We've actually sort of teasing Derby Dad because he wrote about a 15kw
oil heater when I really believe he meant to write 1.5kw oil heater. ^_^

TDD
Senior Member

I think I agree with the concensus that the heater will use the same amount of electricity whether it's warm or cold. The ambient temperature only determines how quickly heat is lost from the heater. It's going to draw the same current as long as the applied voltage and heating element resistance are the same in both cases, and that means the amount of electric power it uses (volts X amps) will be the same as well.

Here's a more interesting question:

Imagine Gilligan's Island. Gilligan is sitting on a bamboo bicycle and the rotation of the bicycle wheel turns a generator. The generator is connected to a radio. Would Gilligan have to pedal slightly harder when the radio was turned on than he would if the radio was turned off?

Last edited by nestork : November 28th 12 at 06:40 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/27/2012 08:40 PM, gregz wrote:

You would need a big breaker. I have a 4500 watt garage heater on a 30 amp
breaker. I don't know, but every fan blown heater i use starts out blowing
real slow, then speeds up.

Sounds like the bearings are sticky, causing friction,, and the heat
caused by the rotor turning at less than full speed is heating them up
until they are fluid enough to permit the shaft to turn with less
resistance.

If you turn the rotor by hand, does it turn easily, and continue
spinning after you take your hand away?

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/27/2012 7:22 PM, bob haller wrote:

Might be a small increase in the power to the colder unit, because of a
slight decrease in heater element resistance.

Greg

while the cold electrical heaters resistance is a bit lower at start
up, so a small increase in heat, but this only lasts for seconds at
most. till the resistance wire is hot.

The point of oil filled heaters is that the oil transfers the heat to a
large surface area. The large surface area is at a lower temperature to
transfer the same heat as the small surface area of just a resistance
element. The heating element does not get as hot in the oil filled
heater. I agree with gregz.

For electric baseboard heaters, in general the NEC does not allow
receptacles in the wall above the heater because of the high temperature
of the heating element. Oil filled baseboards run at a lower temperature
and a receptacle above the heater is likely allowed.

so the overall power consumption is basically the same,,,,,, a
insignifacant difference

And I agree with gregz that it is a slight increase. Essentially
insignificant.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

....and I accept the teasing as deserved.

I orginally typed 1500W, then edited it to make it shorter (15KW) when
in reality 1.5KW has the same number of characters as 1500W, so I was
just wasting time anyway.

Regardless, I got the answer that I expected, along with some extra
added info, also as expected, especially from this group.

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 28, 1:39*am, Jon Danniken
wrote:
On 11/27/2012 08:40 PM, gregz wrote:

You would need a big breaker. I have a 4500 watt garage heater on a 30 amp
breaker. I don't know, but every fan blown heater i use starts out blowing
real slow, then speeds up.

Sounds like the bearings are sticky, causing friction,, and the heat
caused by the rotor turning at less than full speed is heating them up
until they are fluid enough to permit the shaft to turn with less
resistance.

If you turn the rotor by hand, does it turn easily, and continue
spinning after you take your hand away?

Jon

I have a very old, high powered floor fan that has a hard time getting
started. It spins freely when spun by hand, but often - not always -
needs a little nudge to get running at full speed. It starts, but it
turns really slow until I nudge the blade.

As I said, with the motor off it spins freely, so I don't think it's a
bearing issue in my case.

Once it's up to speed it can dry a pair of newly washed pair of jeans
in less than a hour. It swivels from 45 degrees downward to 180
degrees up. We often put it under the clothesline in the basement,
point it straight up and dry clothes that we need quickly but don't
want to put in the dryer.

There's no safety screen and I imagine that at top speed it would do
some serious damage to a body part.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Sorry, I couldn't help it. Like I told a fellow, if I didn't like you, I
wouldn't tease you. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/28/2012 1:25 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Nov 28, 1:39 am, Jon Danniken
wrote:
[...]

Does the fan motor have a hump on it with a capacitor inside it? If so,
the capacitor may be in need of replacement and it's not expensive. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bad run capacitor, most likely.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

I have a very old, high powered floor fan that has a hard time getting
started. It spins freely when spun by hand, but often - not always -
needs a little nudge to get running at full speed. It starts, but it
turns really slow until I nudge the blade.

As I said, with the motor off it spins freely, so I don't think it's a
bearing issue in my case.

Once it's up to speed it can dry a pair of newly washed pair of jeans
in less than a hour. It swivels from 45 degrees downward to 180
degrees up. We often put it under the clothesline in the basement,
point it straight up and dry clothes that we need quickly but don't
want to put in the dryer.

There's no safety screen and I imagine that at top speed it would do
some serious damage to a body part.

Posted to alt.home.repair

57 lines of quoted text, to tell us you were trying to backspace, and save
two typed characters? I think your sense of proportion needs a bit of
thought.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
1On Nov 28, 12:57 am, The Daring Dufas the-daring-du...@stinky-
2finger.net wrote:
3 On 11/27/2012 10:40 PM, gregz wrote:
4
5
6
7
8
9 The Daring Dufas wrote:
10 On 11/27/2012 9:42 PM, Existential Angst wrote:
11 "The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message
12 ...
13 On 11/27/2012 8:19 PM, wrote:
14 On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 20:57:31 -0500, wrote:
15
16 On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 13:40:25 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
17 wrote:
18
19 Picture an oil filled space heater no thermostat switched to the
15KW
20 setting.
21
22 Picture it in a closed room with no thermostat in a house that
is kept
23 at 68 F by a thermostat in another room. Assume that the heat
from the
24 space heater does not reach the thermostat.
25
26 Now picture the space heater sitting outside on a 35 F day.
27
28 Does it use the same amount of electricity in both situations?
29 Yes - IF the heater has no thermostat - BUT, a 1500 watt heater,
oil
30 filled or not, could soon become dangerously overheated. The oil
31 filled units HAVE an internal non-adjustable thermostat that
limits
32 the temperature to a safe level.
33 and a 15000 watt unit even MORE dangerous - if it existed as an
oil
34 filled space heater.
35
36 Perhaps there are some industrial units that big for some sort of
heat
37 curing or drying process? I could see a 15kw oil filled heater in
an
38 environmental test chamber for various items. ^_^
39
40 Or you could just get ten 1.5 kW units....
41
42 15kw electric heat is not unusual to add to a central AC system if
there
43 is no NG or propane available for a furnace but it runs on 240 volts
ac.
44 You won't be able to use that Christmas tree light extension cord.
O_o
45
46 TDD
47
48 You would need a big breaker. I have a 4500 watt garage heater on a 30
amp
49 breaker. I don't know, but every fan blown heater i use starts out
blowing
50 real slow, then speeds up.
51
52 Greg
53
54 We've actually sort of teasing Derby Dad because he wrote about a 15kw
55 oil heater when I really believe he meant to write 1.5kw oil heater. ^_^
56
57 TDD-

....and I accept the teasing as deserved.

I orginally typed 1500W, then edited it to make it shorter (15KW) when
in reality 1.5KW has the same number of characters as 1500W, so I was
just wasting time anyway.

Regardless, I got the answer that I expected, along with some extra
added info, also as expected, especially from this group.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

And how much quoted text?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 11/28/2012 1:06 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I orginally typed 1500W, then edited it to make it shorter (15KW) when
in reality 1.5KW has the same number of characters as 1500W, so I was
just wasting time anyway.

Regardless, I got the answer that I expected, along with some extra
added info, also as expected, especially from this group.

Thanks!

Sorry, I couldn't help it. Like I told a fellow, if I didn't like you, I
wouldn't tease you. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 22:39:25 -0800, Jon Danniken
wrote:

On 11/27/2012 08:40 PM, gregz wrote:

You would need a big breaker. I have a 4500 watt garage heater on a 30 amp
breaker. I don't know, but every fan blown heater i use starts out blowing
real slow, then speeds up.

Sounds like the bearings are sticky, causing friction,, and the heat
caused by the rotor turning at less than full speed is heating them up
until they are fluid enough to permit the shaft to turn with less
resistance.

If you turn the rotor by hand, does it turn easily, and continue
spinning after you take your hand away?

Jon

In many cases they are DESIGNED to start slowly rather than blowing
COLD air around. Generally they are an impedence protected shaded pole
motor with not enough starting torque to pull the blade up to speed
quickly - particularly if the voltage is reduced due to the heavy
current draw of the cold heater.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Most likely a "shaded pole" motor of some sort. Very low starting
torque - and generally impedence protected so it won't seriously
overheat if running in slip for a prolonged period.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

A lot of ceiling fans I've worked on have small run capacitors. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

15kw electric heat is not unusual to add to a central AC system if there
is no NG or propane available for a furnace but it runs on 240 volts ac.

I used to know someone who had a heat pump with backup heat like that.
It meant really high electric bills in the winter.

You won't be able to use that Christmas tree light extension cord. O_o

I have seem the opposite, 240V outlet connected as 2 circuits to
Christmas lights. I might have had to do that if I hadn't changed to
mostly LED lights.

TDD

--
26 days until the winter celebration (Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:00:00 AM for 1
day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of
human history than any other single idea." [Madelyn O'Hair]
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message

[snip]

15kw electric heat is not unusual to add to a central AC system if there
is no NG or propane available for a furnace but it runs on 240 volts ac.

I used to know someone who had a heat pump with backup heat like that. It
meant really high electric bills in the winter.

My heat pump has 10 kw of electric heat. As this is in the middle of
North Carolina I doubt it has ever came on. Atleast in the 6 years that I
have had it the electric bill seems normal. Not too much differance in the
winter heating or summer AC. There is a reasonable drop for a couple of
months when it is not too hot or cold.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/29/2012 4:45 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message

[snip]

15kw electric heat is not unusual to add to a central AC system if there
is no NG or propane available for a furnace but it runs on 240 volts ac.

I used to know someone who had a heat pump with backup heat like that. It
meant really high electric bills in the winter.

My heat pump has 10 kw of electric heat. As this is in the middle of
North Carolina I doubt it has ever came on. Atleast in the 6 years that I
have had it the electric bill seems normal. Not too much differance in the
winter heating or summer AC. There is a reasonable drop for a couple of
months when it is not too hot or cold.

If you have a super insulated home, you could heat it with a candle. ^_^

TDD