Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Heating Problem

I hope someone from this excellent group can assist me with this problem. We have a cold room on the second floor of our house. We have a forced air, natural gas heating system and there is only one vent in the room. There seems to be very little airflow through the vent. I've checked down the duct to see if there is any restriction and there doesn't seem to be any problem.. I suspect that the duct is separated somewhere between the furnace and the supply vent... The problem is that the vent is inside the ceiling and walls for it's entire run.

My question is: what would be the easiest way to inspect this duct. It has at least 2 or 3 offsets in it before it makes it's way back to the furnace so I can't just lower a camera in there.

Thanks for all replies.

Peter H
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 17:30:20 -0800 (PST), Peter H
wrote:

I hope someone from this excellent group can assist me with this problem. We have a cold room on the second floor of our house. We have a forced air, natural gas heating system and there is only one vent in the room. There seems to be very little airflow through the vent. I've checked down the duct to see if there is any restriction and there doesn't seem to be any problem. I suspect that the duct is separated somewhere between the furnace and the supply vent... The problem is that the vent is inside the ceiling and walls for it's entire run.

My question is: what would be the easiest way to inspect this duct. It has at least 2 or 3 offsets in it before it makes it's way back to the furnace so I can't just lower a camera in there.

Thanks for all replies.

Peter H

You are pretty well going to have to check from both ends with a
camera to see how much is definitely good, and locate where the ofsets
are that are likely to have opened up, then drill the wall to insert a
camera and look at the joints. You can see a lot through a half inch
hole with the new flexible inspection cameras. If it is separated you
are going to have to open it up to fix it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

wrote:

[...]

If it is separates somewhere, you should feel a hot spot on the wall/ceiling
where it has pulled apart. I should imagine that with 2 or 3 offsets that
the pipe is too small for the bends and length, restricting the airflow.
If this is over a garage or unheated crawl space, that would add to the loss
of heat and may require some remedial foam insulation to embed the pipe once
the size and bends are corrected.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Peter H wrote:
I hope someone from this excellent group can assist me with this problem. We have a cold room on the second floor of our house. We have a forced air, natural gas heating system and there is only one vent in the room. There seems to be very little airflow through the vent. I've checked down the duct to see if there is any restriction and there doesn't seem to be any problem. I suspect that the duct is separated somewhere between the furnace and the supply vent... The problem is that the vent is inside the ceiling and walls for it's entire run.

My question is: what would be the easiest way to inspect this duct. It has at least 2 or 3 offsets in it before it makes it's way back to the furnace so I can't just lower a camera in there.

Thanks for all replies.

Peter H

Hi,
Is it a problem happened lately or was the room ever adequately warm?
Leaking air is possibility but also air circulates. Where is the closest
return air duct opening? If you do think hot air is leaking
somewhere along the duct run, IR thermometer or/and amplified
stethoscope may help pin point the spot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 21:35:48 -0500, "EXT"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

You MIGHT find the separation with an infrared thermometer.

Senior Member

Peter:

You could try an infrared inspection.

If warm air is being blown into the ceiling joist space at a separation in the duct, an infrared inspection will show the area of the ceiling that's the warmest, and that would logically be closest to the separation in the duct.

Also, air flow through ducting is highly dependant on how much air flow resistance the duct offers. The warmest ducts will be those with the greatest amount of warm air flowing through them. An infrared inspection camera will show whether there's any air flow at the UPSTREAM end of the duct. It could be that the length of the duct combinded with it's size and offsets provides too much resistance to air flow, so there's little air even entering the duct. You might need to add a booster fan to that duct.

Last edited by nestork : November 15th 12 at 03:48 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 14, 10:12*pm, wrote:
On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 21:35:48 -0500, "EXT"

wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

* You MIGHT find the separation with an infrared thermometer.- Hide quoted text -

He could probably rent an inspection camera from
a tool rental shop. Or perhaps make one from a
cheap camera from Ebay that can be hooked up to
a notebook PC, attached to a snake.

Is the cold room over an unheated garage? That is
often the case. Often it's not disconnected, just a poor
design, too long a run, too many turns, too small a duct,
etc. And unfortunately very ofter very difficult or nearly
impossible to fix.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Check the smple answers, first.

1) is the damper open?
2) Do you have enough return air?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Peter H" wrote in message
I hope someone from this excellent group can assist me with this problem. We
have a cold room on the second floor of our house. We have a forced air,
natural gas heating system and there is only one vent in the room. There
seems to be very little airflow through the vent. I've checked down the duct
to see if there is any restriction and there doesn't seem to be any problem.
I suspect that the duct is separated somewhere between the furnace and the
supply vent... The problem is that the vent is inside the ceiling and walls
for it's entire run.

My question is: what would be the easiest way to inspect this duct. It has
at least 2 or 3 offsets in it before it makes it's way back to the furnace
so I can't just lower a camera in there.

Thanks for all replies.

Peter H

Posted to alt.home.repair

Peter H wrote:
I hope someone from this excellent group can assist me with this
problem. We have a cold room on the second floor of our house. We
have a forced air, natural gas heating system and there is only one
vent in the room. There seems to be very little airflow through the
vent. I've checked down the duct to see if there is any restriction
and there doesn't seem to be any problem. I suspect that the duct is
separated somewhere between the furnace and the supply vent... The
problem is that the vent is inside the ceiling and walls for it's
entire run.

My question is: what would be the easiest way to inspect this duct.
It has at least 2 or 3 offsets in it before it makes it's way back to
the furnace so I can't just lower a camera in there.

Thanks for all replies.

Here's an answer to a question you didn't ask: Add a space heater to the
room.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 04:33:28 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Is the cold room over an unheated garage? That is
often the case. Often it's not disconnected, just a poor
design, too long a run, too many turns, too small a duct,
etc. And unfortunately very ofter very difficult or nearly
impossible to fix.

My last house had a BR over a finished garage. It never cooled well in
the summer because of the sun beating on the garage door most of the
day (desert). Even the solar screen on the window was of little help.

By insulating the garage door with 1" foam, the problem was solved.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"nestork" wrote in message

Peter:

You could try an infrared inspection.

If warm air is being blown into the ceiling joist space at a separation
in the duct, an infrared inspection will show the area of the ceiling
that's the warmest, and that would logically be closest to the
separation in the duct.

Also, air flow through ducting is highly dependant on how much air flow
resistance the duct offers. The warmest ducts will be those with the
greatest amount of warm air flowing through them. An infrared
inspection camera will show whether there's any air flow at the UPSTREAM
end of the duct. It could be that the length of the duct combinded with
it's size and offsets provides too much resistance to air flow, so
there's little air even entering the duct. You might need to add a
booster fan to that duct.

Short of infrared, you could try to FEEL the wall, by hand, for warm spots
in the walls/ceiling. This might give an indication of where the problem
begins, if separation/leakage is the problem.
Toward that end, some people's hands are more sensitive than others,
depending on how dry, calloused, weather-worn a pair of hands are. Kids/the
wife might have better hands for this.
--
EA

--
nestork

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Existential Angst" wrote:

"nestork" wrote in message

Peter:

You could try an infrared inspection.

-snip-

Short of infrared, you could try to FEEL the wall, by hand, for warm spots
in the walls/ceiling. This might give an indication of where the problem
begins, if separation/leakage is the problem.

I'd invest in an infrared thermometer for that game.
http://www.harborfreight.com/non-con...ter-96451.html
[$35-- you can spend more if you like- but they sure look like the
good one I acquired 10 years ago]

Mine doesn't get used often-- but when it does, it is indispensable.

Toward that end, some people's hands are more sensitive than others,
depending on how dry, calloused, weather-worn a pair of hands are. Kids/the
wife might have better hands for this.

amen on that- It would take 10 degrees for me to feel a difference.
The thermometer will pick up a tenth of a degree.

A candle and/or incense in the center of the room might show you if
there were drafts, too.

Jim

Heating problem James UK diy 5 December 13th 06 01:02 AM
heating problem Mark P UK diy 6 September 2nd 06 11:59 PM
heating problem Mark P UK diy 2 August 31st 06 09:41 AM
problem heating sherren UK diy 2 March 1st 06 12:46 PM
heating problem Jake020 Home Repair 10 January 11th 06 11:02 AM