Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Heating Problem

wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 17:30:20 -0800 (PST), Peter H
wrote:

I hope someone from this excellent group can assist me with this problem.
We have a cold room on the second floor of our house. We have a forced
air, natural gas heating system and there is only one vent in the room.
There seems to be very little airflow through the vent. I've checked down
the duct to see if there is any restriction and there doesn't seem to be
any problem. I suspect that the duct is separated somewhere between the
furnace and the supply vent... The problem is that the vent is inside the
ceiling and walls for it's entire run.

My question is: what would be the easiest way to inspect this duct. It has
at least 2 or 3 offsets in it before it makes it's way back to the furnace
so I can't just lower a camera in there.

Thanks for all replies.

Peter H

You are pretty well going to have to check from both ends with a
camera to see how much is definitely good, and locate where the ofsets
are that are likely to have opened up, then drill the wall to insert a
camera and look at the joints. You can see a lot through a half inch
hole with the new flexible inspection cameras. If it is separated you
are going to have to open it up to fix it.

If it is separates somewhere, you should feel a hot spot on the wall/ceiling
where it has pulled apart. I should imagine that with 2 or 3 offsets that
the pipe is too small for the bends and length, restricting the airflow.
If this is over a garage or unheated crawl space, that would add to the loss
of heat and may require some remedial foam insulation to embed the pipe once
the size and bends are corrected.