Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default My Computer Changed The TIme By Itself

On 11/4/2012 1:08 PM, hr(bob) wrote:

... one of the Microsoft Windows XP
updates put some new intelligence into my machine?

yes

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Thanks to everyone for confirming what I suspected. The minute
differs from the minute on my cellphone by about 10 seconds, that is
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/4/2012 7:20 PM, micky wrote:
On Sun, 4 Nov 2012 13:20:30 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Nov 4, 2:28 pm, dpb wrote:
On 11/4/2012 1:08 PM, hr(bob) wrote:

... one of the Microsoft Windows XP
updates put some new intelligence into my machine?

yes

--

Thanks to everyone for confirming what I suspected. The minute
differs from the minute on my cellphone by about 10 seconds, that is
truly amazing. I go back to when a long distance phone call meant
shouting at top volume and then not always being able to hear the
person at the other end , very late 1940's and very early 1950's.

I'm a few years younger than you, but I rememmber early and mid 50's
when station-to-statioin was 20 cents a minute, after 8PM and on
weekends,, and we all gathered around the phone to listen/talk to my
grandmother, so she didn't have to say the same thing twice.

While NYC had dial phones then, until about 1955, we'd pick up the
phone and the operator would say Number pleasssse. We'd give her the
number** and I think we heard a ringing sound, unless it was busy, in
which case the operator would come back and say "The line is bussssy".

**For the first few weeks or months in 1945, my mother would say
"OLiver 4-1234, please", but eventually an operator said, "You don't
have to say OLiver 4, Ma'am. They're all OLiver 4. "

On the farm in the 60's we got phone service from a private little rural
phone company and we were on a party line. It was a hoot. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11-04-2012 21:57, The Daring Dufas wrote:
On the farm in the 60's we got phone service from a private little rural
phone company and we were on a party line. It was a hoot. ^_^

On my parents' farm in the 1980s they had a party line.

--
Wes Groleau

Curmudgeon's Complaints on Courtesy:
http://www.onlinenetiquette.com/courtesy1.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wes Groleau wrote:
On 11-04-2012 21:57, The Daring Dufas wrote:
On the farm in the 60's we got phone service from a private little rural
phone company and we were on a party line. It was a hoot. ^_^

On my parents' farm in the 1980s they had a party line.

I remember in the 50's party lines were common in the suburbs. You had to
count the rings. Then quietly pick up handset and listen in.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 5 Nov 2012 03:17:15 +0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

Wes Groleau wrote:
On 11-04-2012 21:57, The Daring Dufas wrote:
On the farm in the 60's we got phone service from a private little rural
phone company and we were on a party line. It was a hoot. ^_^

On my parents' farm in the 1980s they had a party line.

I remember in the 50's party lines were common in the suburbs. You had to
count the rings. Then quietly pick up handset and listen in.

Greg

In '57 we moved to the INdianapolis suburbs. When my mother signed up
for a phone, she was told she could have a party line with no one else
on it. I guess they had planned for when there were more people in
the area. So she saved money and it was like a private line for 9
years. till we moved.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wes Groleau wrote:
On 11-04-2012 21:57, The Daring Dufas wrote:
On the farm in the 60's we got phone service from a private little rural
phone company and we were on a party line. It was a hoot. ^_^

On my parents' farm in the 1980s they had a party line.

Talk about technology. I just picked up my old fashioned tone dial handset,
by tapping on the hangup button on the wall, I called my cell phone. Is
that cool.

I like the old phone, works without external power, and has loud bell. Also
got loud bell in garage.

Greg