Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I want my electric changed from AC to DC

I just spoke with a guy at my electric company today and told him I
want my electric service changed from AC to DC. He told me they can
not do that. I explained to him that DC is not only cheaper to buy
per watt, but it's also safer and more reliable. He told me they only
provide AC. I tried to be calm with the guy, but he got pretty rude
and ****ed me off. At that point I told him that their company is a
ripoff. They just want to sell AC because it costs us more and they
make a bigger profit on it. I also told him that they risk our lives
with their AC, knowing DC is safer, only to make a fast buck off of
us, and I am damn tired of putting up with their bull****. At that
point he hung up on me.

That only angered me more, so I called the state office for consumer
protection, utilities department. The woman I spoke to at first did
not understand what I was trying to do. She got a man who said he was
not familiar with the different types of power, but said that I do
have a right to get the best price as well as get the safest power. I
explained that not only is DC safer, lower cost, and more reliable,
but it's also better for the environment since less polutants are
exhausted producing DC. After I got off the phone, I contacted an
electricial supply store. They told me that DC is not normally
provided in homes, but they do sell a device that converts AC to DC,
but said it would cost me at minimum, $650, and could go much higher
depending on my amp usage.

Why didn't the guy at the electric company tell me this? I thought
they are supposed to know what they are selling and how to provide
what the customer wants. Seems these assholes that work at utility
companies think we are all idiots, and they also forget that without
us customers, they would be unemployed. Of course they seem to think
that they can charge us whatever they damn well please, and they can
provide crappy service and because we are dependent on them, we will
do whatever they ask, and come to them crawling on our knees. Well,
guess what, he met the wrong guy when he met me. If they dont
straighten this out real soon, I'll pull their damn electric meter and
get myself a generator or some solar panels, or both.

Tomorrow I will call them back, and I plan to tell them that THEY are
going to be paying for this device that converts the AC to DC. Not
me. They are also going to pay an electrician to install it, unless
they are literate enough to do it themselves (which I doubt). And
just because they are still selling me AC, before it's converted, they
damn well better charge me the lower rate charged for DC.

I'm posting this to see if anyone else has dealt with electric company
crooks who refuse to provide DC, when we ask for it. Has anyone used
those AC to DC converters? Is DC more reliable? I know my AC power
goes out far too often, leaving me in the dark. Thats why someone
told me to get DC, which is more reliable. I'd like feedback from
anyone who has dealt with any of this.

Thanks

Larry M
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 5, 9:57*pm, wrote:
I just spoke with a guy at my electric company today and told him I
want my electric service changed from AC to DC. *

I'd like feedback from
anyone who has dealt with any of this.

Welcome to my killfile, moron.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 5, 11:57*pm, wrote:
[...]

Juss get a bunnch of drills from HD , you know the ones with lifetime
bettery warranty, get 10 12v unets and make 120v and its guaarnteed
for life
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 6, 6:57*am, ransley wrote:
On Apr 5, 11:57*pm, wrote:

[...]

for life- Hide quoted text -

Sounds like this post should have been made April 1. Either that or
he's a decendent of Thomas Edison.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Nothing is your house will run except incandescent lights.
Freezer, Refrigerator, TV, stereo, appliances, tools, nothing will work
on DC unless you change it all out with DC appliances.
Build your own rectifier bridge and make your own DC. Solar panels put
out DC, get some of those.

--
LSMFT

I'm trying to think but nothing happens.........

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Let me tell you. I grew up in a section of Boston that had DC until sometime
in late 1940s. This was supplied by Boston Edison.

You don't ever be in that situation.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Thomas Edison provided ELECTRIC CHAIRS that used alternating current to
state prisons so the folk could see for themselves just how fatal AC can be!
(Coincidentally, Edison was promoting his DC distribution system but that
promotion had no effect on Edison's heartfelt belief that AC was dangerous!
His motivation was solely for the safety of the children. God Bless Thomas
Edison!)

Look at all the ELECTRIC CARS coming online. Every one is DC! Do you think
the government would allow such, much less promote them, if they were
unsafe?

I think you should picket the power company, pass out leaflets, and write
your Congressman. Being naked will draw a lot of attention to your concerns.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 6, 12:57*am, wrote:
I just spoke with a guy at my electric company today and told him I
want my electric service changed from AC to DC.

You can't get DC because the NIMBY crowd won't let the electric
company put up a powerplant on every street corner!

Don't blame the power company. Blame your neighbors!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Trying to drive up the price of copper sky high?
And what about corrosion problem?
Edison lost to Tesla (DC vs. AC battle)
It is after April 1.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 6, 3:40�pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
wrote:
[...]

your Congressman. Being naked will draw a lot of attention to your concerns.- Hide quoted text -

There is no such thing as a DC motor, they are all AC.There never has
and never will be.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 7, 3:35�pm, harry wrote:
On Apr 6, 3:40 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

wrote:
[...]

and never will be.- Hide quoted text -

some motors only run on DC, a DC gearmotor will just sit buzz and
overheat if put on AC.

as a couple of my customers found out first hand
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 7, 8:44�pm, " wrote:
On Apr 7, 3:35 pm, harry wrote:

On Apr 6, 3:40 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

wrote:
[...]

as a couple of my customers found out first hand- Hide quoted text -

All rotating electrical machine run on AC. The ones connected to DC
have a mechanical inverter called a commutator which turns the DC to
AC. It also works as an inverter, enabling the same machine to put out
DC (though it generates AC.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 12:35:47 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On Apr 6, 3:40?pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Not quite technically correct - there ARE DC motors, but in the
armature all motors have AC. The feild in a DC motor runs on DC.

So the correct thing to say is ALL motors run on AC internally.
Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote:

There is no such thing as a DC motor, they are all AC.There never has
and never will be.

Think dildo. (Comma left out on purpose)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 6, 10:54*am, "Charlie" wrote:
Let me tell you. I grew up in a section of Boston that had DC until sometime
in late 1940s. This was supplied by Boston Edison.

You don't ever want to be in that situation.

Charlie- Hide quoted text -

Yes; same in 1953 when I was working for the summer in Gloucester (UK)
it was 220 volts DC.
Not sure why in that town it was DC.
But DC was sometimes used where and when an industrial plant/factory
also supplied the town or part of the town around. In this part of
Canada the whole are is, now, North American standard 115/230 volts 60
hertz. But until sometime in the 1960s (some ten to fifteen years
after this province joined Canada in 1949) there were areas provided
with electrcity from local paper mills, which were originally British
based companies! So customers were supplied 115/230 at fifty (50)
hertz!
Another reason for DC was sometimes because it was/is used by street
railways etc. Have no experience with that.
Some lumber factories I I am told used 25 hertz for motors; and
somewhere I have the power transformer from a scrapped 25 hertz B&W
TV, shipped in when TV was first introduced here in 1954/55 and there
was demand for new TVs of any kind!
The original poster is 'just having us on to their troll'.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 9 Apr 2010 12:21:33 -0700 (PDT), terry
wrote:

On Apr 6, 10:54Â*am, "Charlie" wrote:
[...]

The orioginal "Adam BecK" Niagara station was 25hz and much of rural
central Ontario switched from 25 to 60 in about 1954.

If the papermill is generating it's own Hydro power, with older
equipment, 25 hz is quite possible.

25 Hz transformers are HUGE
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 13:38:58 -0400, J Burns

I'm posting this to see if anyone else has dealt with electric company
crooks who refuse to provide DC, when we ask for it. Has anyone used
those AC to DC converters? Is DC more reliable? I know my AC power
goes out far too often, leaving me in the dark. Thats why someone
told me to get DC, which is more reliable. I'd like feedback from
anyone who has dealt with any of this.

My neighbors say they like AC because it keeps their houses cooler.

Yes.

During the positive half-cycle, electrical equipment emits heat. As
the power reverses polarity, it sucks some of that heat back in. The
"suckage ratio" varies according to frequency. DC (being 0Hz) doesn't
suck. 1KHz power would freeze us all.