Posted to alt.home.repair

Default NYC subway repair

On 11/3/12 12:57 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Thu, 1 Nov 2012 19:05:52 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/a2blfyh
Edited for length, read full article on web.
New York Subway System Faces Weeks to Recover From Storm
October 31, 2012

"It's an enormous amount of wiring and an enormous amount of connections
that go to what's called relay rooms," Downey said. "They've got to turn the
system on, and if it seems to be working I think they've got to go to every
component and check it and get rid of all the salt. What you don't want is a
short circuit that causes the system to fail."

Spare Parts
Finding enough replacement parts will be another challenge that could delay
repairs, said Kathy Waters, vice president for member services at the
American Public Transportation Association.

We take so much for granted in our daily lives. I can see that
problems can haunt the system for years as residual corrosion comes
back.

City dwellers take most everything for granted, rural dwellers not so
much. While those in the city run around helpless wondering when the
transportation they rely on will be running, where they will get their
TP, etc. Rural dwellers are already out cleaning up the mess, cutting up
the fallen trees, etc. and otherwise taking responsibility for
themselves.

Kinda' the same split you see with self-reliant conservatives vs.
government-dependent liberals ;-)

--
Don't forget to change your clocks on Saturday-- and your President on
Tuesday.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don't like the price? No problem! Just don't buy.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message ...

A better example is batteries. The news is saying they are simply out
of batteries in New York New, Jersey and large areas of the northeast.
An enterprising guy might load up a truck at the Walmart in Tennessee
or Kentucky and drive up there but if he could only mark them up 10%,
he isn't going to do it. They simply don't get batteries. Is that
better?
Ask the guy sitting in the dark with a dead radio how much batteries
are worth.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote
Would any sane new yorker or jersey boy think there was a POSSIBILTY
that if hit by "frankenstorm", there would not be EXTENSIVE damage to
infrastructure? Or that there was even a SLIM possibility that repairs
would be done in record time??????

NYC has never been hit with the major problems it has now. Jersey is another
story. I remember a few nasty storms that hit NJ over the past 60+ years.
As a teenager, we went to the Jersey shore. One visit we had to drive
around a few houses sitting in the middle of the street.

Sure, the news often over hypes bad weather, but sometimes it really does
come the way they predict. Filling your gas tanks a few days before is
pretty easy to do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Peter" wrote
..

I've never been able to justify a generator, but you won't see my
house dark for weeks with no power. I have LED lights and plenty of
batteries. And enough gas in the car for a week.

And your source of home heating and long term refrigeration is....?

Woodstove for heat. If it is winter, no worries about refrigeration, just
put the stuff out in the snow. Last time in summer was hurricane Gloria and
we held things for the two days we were out. Beyond that, I'm SOL unless I
borrow a neighbor's generator to run the freezer for a couple of hours.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

A better example is batteries. The news is saying they are simply out
of batteries in New York New, Jersey and large areas of the northeast.
An enterprising guy might load up a truck at the Walmart in Tennessee
or Kentucky and drive up there but if he could only mark them up 10%,
he isn't going to do it. They simply don't get batteries. Is that
better?
Ask the guy sitting in the dark with a dead radio how much batteries
are worth.

Another self inflicted problem. I always have some around, but a week
before the storm hit I bought some extra. Stores had plenty and now I do
too. I can keep lit for weeks. Oh, I also have plenty of bourbon on hand
in case it is needed for medicinal purposes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default NYC batteries shortage

I wonder who decided that it's someone else fault,
when people have a week of warning, but fail to take
basic steps to prepare?

It's the government's fault, or Red Cross fault, or...

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

Ask the guy sitting in the dark with
a dead radio how much batteries
are worth.

Another self inflicted problem. I always have
some around, but a week before the storm hit I
bought some extra. Stores had plenty and now
I do too. I can keep lit for weeks. Oh, I also
have plenty of bourbon on hand in case it is
needed for medicinal purposes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

So you also do your own medical procedures and dental work on yourself?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Reductio ad absurdum.

Look it up if you don't know what it means;-)

--
Don't forget to change your clocks on Saturday-- and your President on
Tuesday.
-- @deanlosal
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

Me? I live six blocks from a major hospital with a Class I Trauma
Center.

Yes, but do they sell ammunition in the hospital gift shop?

Well, no. Patients have to bring their own.

When our concealed handgun license law was passed (thank you Governor Bush),
it originally contained a prohibition against licensed carry in hospitals
(and churches and a few other benign places).

Due to popular demand, however, a subsequent session of the legislature
repealed the no-carry-in-hospital provision (and churches).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 2 Nov 2012 07:23:25 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I guess while people are shipping bottled water to
NYC, you and I can send cans of WD-40 to the
Subway Authority?

Good idea! Forget pumping them out, just fill the subway with WD-40.
That's what it's designed for, right?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, November 3, 2012 6:55:41 AM UTC-4, HeyBub wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Poor planning on your part does not make an emergency on my part

True. But the expectation on the part of the masses was that everything
would be back to almost normal within 24-36 hours.

Where did you see that? All I heard on the news was how this storm had the potential to take out power for WEEKS, not hours.

In all the warnings leading up to the storm, for a week or more, did you
EVER hear any reporter or journalist insist that you stock up with two weeks
worth of food, fill your tank and any gas containers you had or could buy,
or plan for ANY other long-range disruption?

Yes. So often in fact I got sick of it and changed channels to one that didn't have a news service.