Posted to alt.home.repair

Default flat roof leaked during Sandy

I own a brick colonial in MD. When I bought (2008), the home inspector said the flat roof (10x20, over an addition) was pretty old and would have to be replaced sooner than later.

I didn't do it right away, but after a storm I noticed a leak where the drywall in the ceiling abuts the old outside (brick) wall of the house. The wall is straight, except for a chimney, and the leak was at one of the corners of the chimney.

I found a guy willing to do it for less (less than $2000, as opposed to $3000+). He wasn't in any internet rating system (Checkbook, Angie's List), but I found a guy on a HOA committee who posted that this contractor was OK.

The work was OK, but I wasn't happy about having to hassle him to come back and repaint the new roof. (With that reflecting stuff. The first time he did it was OK, but it rained too soon after he put it on.)

Only thing I noticed in the year that passed after the work was done was that the room smelled of tar/whatever when the roof got really hot. But I figured that wasn't necessarily a big deal, and it stopped after awhile.

So, now, Sandy's come and gone. Main thing we were worried about was power going out. (Our local utility has tons of outages, but this time less than 10% of customers in our locality lost power.) I went into the addition last night to get on a computer and smelled something musty. Looked over, and the leak was back. (It was worse than before, but this was a hurricane. Last hurricane---Irene---was just before the roofer came to install the new roof, but it didn't leak (or not much) cuz I put a huge tarp over the roof.)

So...now I'm not sure what to do:
(1) Shrug it off---"it was a hurricane so it's a one-time event"
(2) Try to figure out where the leak is coming from (but teh Intertubes suggest it's very hard to figure out, at least for flat roofs if I recall correctly)
(3) Get the warranty out, and have the guy come back and fix it, despite my reservations about his competence
(4) Get some kind of general contractor guy to try to fix it
(5) Get a different roofer to fix it
(6) Get a different roofer to repair it

I'd spend more of my own time to try to figure this out, but I've got two small kids, so there's no time to get anything done around the house---have to beg SWMBO for time (we both work) to get much done on the house these days.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, October 30, 2012 9:55:57 AM UTC-4, wrote:

[snip]

Whoops. Meant:

(6) Get a different roofer to replace it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Flat roofs leak. Repair all you want but it will leak again someday (sooner
than later). Better that you turn it into a shed roof with a decent
gradient.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 30, 9:55*am, wrote:
[...]

I'd modify (1) slightly.

I wouldn't shrug it off per se, but I might wait until after the roof
dries out and then check things out during the next rainy day. In
other words, with the winds associated with a hurricane, rain water
can find it's way into places where it normally wouldn't.

I might consider seeing what happens when you have a "normal" rainy
day, without the 90+ MPH winds, and see how the roof does.

BTW...roof leaks can be hard to locate, whether the roof is flat or
not. For example, surface tension can hold water to the bottom of a
rafter and cause it to flow far from the entry point before it
actually drips off. Imagine a leak near the peak with the water
flowing down the rafter until it hits the top of the wall and shows up
on the drywall in a corner, 15 feet or more from the source.

The same thing could happen with a flat roof if the water found an
interior path to flow along until it puddles someplace and finally
soaks through.

Good luck!

Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't say that. I have two, two-car garages with flat roofs. Once upon
a time they both leaked and the former owners had them, um, repaired with a
membrane thingy. They haven't leaked since and I've been here 24 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/30/2012 6:55 AM, wrote:
[...]

As long as you are using a petroleum product, ie tar, to coat the roof,
it will leak. Personal experience on two homes. Tar evaporates and
shrinks. Natural process. Back when coal tar was used, it was self
healing, but that can't be used any more.

The best you can do is hire a professional roofer to remove the old
covering, down to the plywood sheeting, and apply a rubber sheet. I
forget the proper name of the material, but it will allow the roof to
move with heat and cold and not open up cracks. That will be a permanent
fix.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Flat roofs leak. Repair all you want but it will leak again someday (sooner
than later). Better that you turn it into a shed roof with a decent
gradient.

I lived half my life in flat roofed houses. None leaked. Like any
other roof, it has to be maintained and replaced when worn. They all
have pitch for drainage.

Biggest problem is they are not visible so people tend to let them go
as they can't see the bubbles forming and cracks opening. If I can't
see it, it can't be broken, right?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, October 30, 2012 9:55:57 AM UTC-4, wrote:

[snip]

Thanks for all the informative replies, guy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, October 30, 2012 6:19:20 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[snip]

The house is probably the biggest single investment you will ever

make. Stop being pussy whipped and take care of it.

Yeah, I agree that it's very important. SWMBO is very "female" and just doesn't look at these things the way I do.

Aside: Pussy whipped? LOL. That would require having sex more than once in a blue moon as a result of having kids, plus sexual urge not having been replaced by the "godamnit I need to #$*!ing SLEEP!!1!" urge as a result of having kids.

:-P
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Tuesday, October 30, 2012 6:19:20 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[snip]

The house is probably the biggest single investment you will ever

make. Stop being pussy whipped and take care of it.

Yeah, I agree that it's very important. SWMBO is very "female" and just
doesn't look at these things the way I do.

Aside: Pussy whipped? LOL. That would require having sex more than once
in a blue moon as a result of having kids, plus sexual urge not having
been replaced by the "godamnit I need to #$*!ing SLEEP!!1!" urge as a
result of having kids.

5 or 10 min out of how much time once a week or so...

or the (insert target name of person or group here) sex manual ... in out
repeat if necessary.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/31/2012 2:26 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 06:55:56 -0700 (PDT),

wrote:

I didn't do it right away, but after a storm I noticed a leak where the drywall in

the ceiling abuts the old outside (brick) wall of the house. The wall
is straight, except for a chimney, and the leak was at one of the
corners of the chimney.

snip

I'm surprised no one who responded said anything about the brick wall
and chimney. You keep concentrating on the roof. Forget the roof for a
while and look at that brick wall and chimney. Water can get between
loose or cracked mortar and work it's way down. The hurricane probably
drove the water into that brick like a sledge hammer.

Carefully check the brick. Hire a bricklayer if you dont know how.
There are sealers that can be put on brick too.

One way to test it is to use a high powered hose or pressure washer and
blast that brick on a dry day. Try to shoot all the water against the
brick, not the roof. Then look for leaks.

Loose, cracked, broken mortar is not too hard to spot. Go take a look.
Especially near the leak area, but water can travel, so look at ALL of
the brick. There should be a metal flashing embedded in the mortar a
half foot or more above the roof. That is where there is often leaks
because metal expands and contracts at a different rate than brick.
Plus it can rust where it meets the mortar.

The addition was done incorrectly. There is no way to add an addition
to flash this situation properly. If and when the brick work (which is
NOT waterproof) takes on water, there is nothing to turn the water out.
YOu need to find a roofer who is well versed in counter flashing and
get a reglet sawed into the brick work. It is still prone to long term
problems, but miles more professional than smearing another coat of tar
on a moving joint.

--

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 12:53:51 -0400, wrote:

[...]

X3. I would never buy a house with a flat roof, .. they are just
ticking timebombs.