Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Uh oh...Hurricane Sandy headed right for me

In article ,
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

sday).

Some crews are in place in CT and more coming. Long drive from the
west coast where some are coming from. Until the wind declines to
under 40 mph, it does not matter anyway.

CL&P screwed up last October storm so they are being watched closely
now. They tried to cheap out, waited, and got caught with the
available linemen spoken for by others.

This is going to be a little more widespread than that one, too. Indy
Power is sending a bunch of trucks to standby in W. Va. for the lines
brought down by the blizzards.
the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd suggest it for washing and flushing. But, store up some tap water for
food and drinking. Supposedly, girardia is every where. Diarrhea is never
welcome, but less so during a crisis.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"micky" wrote in message

What do you all thinlk about my drinking water from the stream behind
my house? It only goes another 3 miles west of here, through areas
with single family homes. and a few apartments.

Would the only contamination be weed and insect poison applied to
lawns and shrubs etc? Wouldn't that be washed off and washed away
by October 30?

There used to be little crayfish living in the stream, and nothing
much seems to have changed since then, but I haven't been to that
part of the stream lately.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you start now, you can fill soda pop and
juice bottles. Milk jugs leak, rapidly, very
soft plastic. Don't bother with milk jugs.

I view the matter much the same. I don't enjoy
diarrhea. Even in peace time.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

I still don't understand why keeping $20-30 worth of bottled water is
such a burden for you folks. I wouldn't trade a case of the screaming
****s, at a time when the toilet isn't working right, for $1000.

Posted to alt.home.repair

And, we'll send you a bill for all the help you
sent us. We need the money.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

I haven't seen it on the news but I'll bet some crews are coming from
The Southern Company here in The Southeast to help the Damn Yankees
with their little wind storm. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 14:00:28 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

I haven't seen it on the news but I'll bet some crews are coming from
The Southern Company here in The Southeast to help the Damn Yankees
with their little wind storm. ^_^

TDD

We also get crews from Quebec too. Problem is, they filled the wires
with puissance électrique

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bought a few things, today. Asked at Dollar
Tree, what are the fast movers.

Flashlights, batteries
Bottled water
Snacks.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote

I haven't seen it on the news but I'll bet some crews are coming from
The Southern Company here in The Southeast to help the Damn Yankees
with their little wind storm. ^_^

Still sunny here in heathen San Francisco, where God has blessed us once
again. Oh, and the Giants won the World Series, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

Latest forecast has Sandy hitting land between Atlantic City and
Sea Girt, NJ. I'm just a few miles inland from Sea Girt.

Oh well, I've done all I can to prep. Niow it's just waiting....

The warning went out DAYS ago that the storm was headed right for you. If I
were in your predicament I'd have locked the doors and taken the next flight
out of the region. Vandalism? Thefts? Well, that might have happened, but
I'd rather have my life than worry about a few possessions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

(Web page says out of stock, be back in
stock late in May 2012)

I ran across this for drinking water storage. Not sure there
is any real advantage to just filling the tub.

There is, the WaterBOB is sealed, which means that the water inside it
remains potable even if the roof is leaking and dripping in the
bathroom.

https://www.waterbob.com/Information.do?forward=home

The waterBOB is a water containment system that holds
up to 100 gallons of fresh drinking water in any standard
bathtub. But, you won't be able to shower, till the Water
Bob is taken out.

Would someone or several someones measure your bath
tub, for me. Length, width, depth. Last time I measured
the tub at my parents house, it was under 50 gallons.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

.

"Pete C." wrote in message
.com...

It's a bit late now, but there is a product called a WaterBOB or similar
which is a food grade plastic bag shaped to fit a standard bathtub that
you can fill with some 80 gal or so of water and have it stay clean and
drinkable. Comes with a siphon pump that fits the port on the bag for
easy dispensing. Not very expensive $50 with the pump I believe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Kaye wrote:
wrote

Latest forecast has Sandy hitting land between Atlantic City and
Sea Girt, NJ. I'm just a few miles inland from Sea Girt.

Oh well, I've done all I can to prep. Niow it's just waiting....

The warning went out DAYS ago that the storm was headed right for
you. If I were in your predicament I'd have locked the doors and
taken the next flight out of the region. Vandalism? Thefts? Well,
that might have happened, but I'd rather have my life than worry
about a few possessions.

Good luck with that. Not only were the flights probably filled, but later
flights were cancelled.

One of my employees, during hurricane Yikes, decided to evacuate from NW
Houston (elevation 220') to San Antonio. He spent the entire brunt of the
hurricane with his wife, baby, dog, and mother trapped on the Interstate not
more than 50 miles from home.

With regard to this craziness, my state has adopted some measures to
implement in the future (exactly how to do them, they picked up from
Florida):
* The major evacuation routes will be turned into all lanes one-way.
* Gas stations on these evacuation routes will be required to top off their
storage tanks prior to the hurricane.
* St. Christopher medals will be handed out to all evacuees. (I know, it's
silly. But it can't hurt.)

In the instant case of New Jersey, New York, and so forth, I'll bet they've
never had to experience such and do not have similar plans in place.

Bottom line: Leaving has its own set of problems.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

* The major evacuation routes will be turned into all lanes one-way.

ANd they added these really wide shoulders to acts as lanes to some
of the routes (especially in the Keys) specifically to handle evacuation
traffic
the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oops, round bottoms are bad, too. Ah, well. I guess I won't cram the freezer
wtih half liter bottles.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

Nope, those half liter bottles do fine in the freezer, the only
problem is the bottom rounds out and they won't stand up again, even
after they thaw out. They won't ever get back to flat.

We always end up with a couple dozen frozen at the end of hurricane
season. I rotate them through the cooler and back into the fridge
throughout the winter boating season. A couple in the cooler will keep
the beer cold for hours. They are also good if you are packing
sandwiches since they don't fill the cooler with water and drown the
sandwiches as they melt,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/29/2012 4:09 PM, David Kaye wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote

I haven't seen it on the news but I'll bet some crews are coming from
The Southern Company here in The Southeast to help the Damn Yankees
with their little wind storm. ^_^

Still sunny here in heathen San Francisco, where God has blessed us once
again. Oh, and the Giants won the World Series, too.

Back in the late 80's I spent some time in the country of Californiastan
and thought it was beautiful country. I worked the state from San Diego
to North of San Fransisco. I lived in Berkley for a while and the place
was a hoot, it reminded me of most college towns.
In the course of my work I traveled the bridge between Berkley and San
Fransisco almost daily and would have been on the bridge at the time of
day it crushed all those cars during the quake if I hadn't moved back to
my home country of Alabamastan. Missed me by that much ' '. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I haven't seen it on the news but I'll bet some crews are coming from
The Southern Company here in The Southeast to help the Damn Yankees
with their little wind storm. ^_^

TDD

We also get crews from Quebec too. Problem is, they filled the wires
with puissance électrique

You know we come running when our cousins call for help no mater where
you are. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message
.com...

NotMe wrote:

"TomR" wrote in message
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 12:38:31 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Latest forecast has Sandy hitting land between Atlantic City and
Sea Girt, NJ. I'm just a few miles inland from Sea Girt.

Oh well, I've done all I can to prep. Niow it's just waiting....

I'm on the windy side. I cancelled second shift at work tomorrow, but
I'm probably going to send everyone home at noon if we even show up.
My wife made an extra pot of coffee or two as it is easier to reheat
than to brew.

Only limit is the gas range oven. We can use the cooktop and we have
city water that has backup power.

I'm in South Jersey (West side, near Camden).

I keep hearing the Governor and everyone else saying to stock up on
water.
I am wondering why. Like you, I have public water, and I have never
been
without running water during any storm ever in my lifetime, even when
there is a power outage. Same for natural gas. It's not like we are
expecting an earthquake that could break water lines and gas lines.

Water systems can be easily disabled as the result of storms (BTDT) ditto
gas service especially if the storm damages the lines. Even if it does
not
if the powers that be get itchy about that possibility they have been
known
to cut off the supply against the possibility of damage.

If you do lose water service you can tap the water in the toilet holding
tank (typically 2-5 gal) and the hot water heater which can be as much as
50
gal.

if you have a gas stove that can be adapted (best done before need) to
run
on LPG.

Our main location in NOLA was equipped to run for 30+ days on LPG and had
sufficient water for the same period. (restocked by rain which is often
the
only 'utility' still working during a storm.

It's a bit late now, but there is a product called a WaterBOB or similar
which is a food grade plastic bag shaped to fit a standard bathtub that
you can fill with some 80 gal or so of water and have it stay clean and
drinkable. Comes with a siphon pump that fits the port on the bag for
easy dispensing. Not very expensive $50 with the pump I believe.

Good idea. As someone said in another post kitty litter bottles do a good
job. One of my kids runs a mobile catering service and has a load of food
grade plastic bags (5/10 and 20 gal) that he uses for jobs. Works as
emergency back up for the house.

One of my grand kids mentioned the water bed but since that's not been
emptied/refilled for how long (?) not sure I'd want to chance that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 10/29/2012 1:41 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 12:26:38 -0400, micky
wrote:

I heard on the rado that there are only 20,000 linemen (in the
country, I think they meant) and there have been requests for 24,000
from north eastern states. Usually t hey talk about importing
linemen and bucket trucks during the outage, but people complained so
much during the last one that they started talking aobut it on
Saturday, and implied they were already here on Sunday, when I'm sure
they won't get here unitl today or tomorrow (tuesday).

Some crews are in place in CT and more coming. Long drive from the
west coast where some are coming from. Until the wind declines to
under 40 mph, it does not matter anyway.

CL&P screwed up last October storm so they are being watched closely
now. They tried to cheap out, waited, and got caught with the
available linemen spoken for by others.

I haven't seen it on the news but I'll bet some crews are coming from
The Southern Company here in The Southeast to help the Damn Yankees
with their little wind storm. ^_^

Crews from all over Texas are on the road. According to the TV most left
either sat or sunday.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 23:11:20 -0400, micky
wrote:

Only limit is the gas range oven. We can use the cooktop and we have
city water that has backup power.

Does it run a turbine?

Oven will not light unless we have electricity to run a fan inside of
it. Burners can be lit with a match.

Think cheap 12 volt inverter and a battery.

I have a set of deep cycle golf cart batteries on the porch and a big
inverter with a standby gen set to recharge if needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Latest forecast has Sandy hitting land between Atlantic City and
Sea Girt, NJ. I'm just a few miles inland from Sea Girt.

Oh well, I've done all I can to prep. Niow it's just waiting....

What do you all thinlk about my drinking water from the stream behind
my house? It only goes another 3 miles west of here, through areas
with single family homes. and a few apartments.

Would the only contamination be weed and insect poison applied to
lawns and shrubs etc? Wouldn't that be washed off and washed away
by October 30?

There used to be little crayfish living in the stream, and nothing
much seems to have changed since then, but I haven't been to that
part of the stream lately.

I'd be more concerned for girardia (spl?) and other wild life parasites.
BTW
regular purification tables do work on girardia but serious boiling might
(don't know
for sure). It's bad enough of health folk but kids and those with immune
problems can be deadly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote

In the course of my work I traveled the bridge between Berkley and San
Fransisco almost daily and would have been on the bridge at the time of
day it crushed all those cars during the quake if I hadn't moved back to
my home country of Alabamastan. Missed me by that much ' '. ^_^

The Bay Bridge didn't "cruss all those cars". A panel from the bridge fell
down and two cars mistakenly drove off from the upper deck to the lower
deck.

You're thinking of the Nimitz Freeway, what came to be known as the Cypress
Structure in Oakland. The faulty double-decker construction (by Bechtel),
caused the top deck to fall onto the lower deck. When I was a kid I knew it
was faulty because I used to beg my parents to drive on that part of the
freeway because we'd bounce up and down as we rode along. Turned out that
the road had been sagging since its construction in 1958 and the "up" part
of our bumpy right was right over the supports. In later years they filled
in the roadway with extra concrete to eliminate the up and down motion for
drivers. When I saw the videos of the collapse I had a cold sweat because
the collapsed upper part looked exactly the way I thought it would -- it was
a scalloped roadway just like the ups and downs I'd experienced as a kid.

Photo: http://www.vias.org/physics/example_3_1_11.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/29/2012 9:37 PM, David Kaye wrote:
"The Daring Dufas" wrote

[...]

Well, it was more than 20 years worth of brain cells ago. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 15:18:43 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Sure beats being hungry, and having only cold food. Very good idea.

It was sort of fun, too.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"micky" wrote in message
.. .

I've used votive candles on a shelf in the oven to heat food; Beanie
Weenies, power shut off, 40F.

One year when I was a political campagin worker staying in a basically
empty apartment, I used sterno and a grill to cook. I had to move the
can around to cook any food bigger than 2 inches, but other than that,
it worked. I don't remember if there was a slight sterno taste to
the food or not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 14:36:15 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 12:17:15 -0400, micky
wrote:

iI wish I had a gas stove. No gas for 100 yards.

Propane. Two 100# tanks in the back of the house. They come once a
year to fill them.

Does it matter that it's 150 feet or so to the street, and I have no
driveway?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Well I guess that is what they meant, and they were only implying that
the crews were on the way, not that they'd arrived. And that's fair.
My apologies to whomever on the radio I disputed.

I was thinking they were coming from no farther than Teennessee, which
wouldn't require leaving so soon.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 12:55:29 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 12:31:56 -0400, micky
wrote:

Would the only contamination be weed and insect poison applied to
lawns and shrubs etc? Wouldn't that be washed off and washed away
by October 30?

That is a significant amount of contamination. You also have pet
waste, perhaps septic tanks and some other naturally forming bacteria.

No septic tanks, pet waste only in people's yards (or scooped up and
put in the trash).

I would call that a last resort water source, boil it, filter it
through a carbon filter and hope the chemicals are not at a hazardous
level. A lot of people whack their lawn with poison and fertilizer in
the fall too.

I still don't understand why keeping $20-30 worth of bottled water is
such a burden for you folks. I wouldn't trade a case of the screaming
****s, at a time when the toilet isn't working right, for $1000.

Becaue I've never in my lost water except when it was scheduled to be
out. (Oh, except once 30 years ago, and then I either got water from
a friend or we ate out or something.) Didn't lose it last night
either, though I did lose power at 6AM this monring, got it back at
1PM.

I don't really think I'll ever have to drink from the stream, but I'm
curious if I could. I'm a half-baked survivalist. When I first got
here I had heard the county would test water for free, but when I
finally got around to calling, 25 years later, they didn't do that.
Maybe they never did, and private labs charged 40 dollars or at least
more than I would pay. And I know one sample doesn't prove it's
always good.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

iI wish I had a gas stove. No gas for 100 yards.

Propane. Two 100# tanks in the back of the house. They come once a
year to fill them.

Does it matter that it's 150 feet or so to the street, and I have no
driveway?

Probably not. They can either bring a 100 pound tank or pull the hose
from the truck. I don't know how long the hoses are, but I bet he can
get close enough.

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:

Crews from all over Texas are on the road. According to the TV most
left either sat or sunday.

Well I guess that is what they meant, and they were only implying that
the crews were on the way, not that they'd arrived. And that's fair.
My apologies to whomever on the radio I disputed.

I was thinking they were coming from no farther than Teennessee, which
wouldn't require leaving so soon.

It could be a redistribution of assets:

The trucks from Tennessee are going to New Jersey and the trucks from Texas
are going to Tennessee.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Call the propane companies near you, and ask.

Usenet readers may or may not know what they
are talking about. Ed P, knows his stuff. I've
sensed that, over the years.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"micky" wrote in message

Does it matter that it's 150 feet or so to the street, and I have no
driveway?

Probably not. They can either bring a 100 pound tank or pull the hose
from the truck. I don't know how long the hoses are, but I bet he can
get close enough.

Okay. Good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 18:21:33 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

* The major evacuation routes will be turned into all lanes one-way.

ANd they added these really wide shoulders to acts as lanes to some
of the routes (especially in the Keys) specifically to handle evacuation
traffic

....and all lanes go one way.

Sandy Heath John Rumm UK diy 2 April 24th 12 05:30 PM
Stabilising a sandy screed Donwill UK diy 5 November 28th 06 09:24 PM
new ceramic floor grout is sandy [email protected] Home Repair 5 March 29th 06 04:46 PM
While millions ran from Hurricane Rita, Clint Perkins headed for her eye Cliff Metalworking 0 October 29th 05 01:14 PM
sandy brick mortar Redlocks Home Repair 3 November 1st 04 01:51 AM