Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Concrete Sealer

About 2 years ago, I had to mix/pour a sidewalk section in front of my house.
I used Quikcrete, finished it, but was too tired to seal it. It was -much-
lighter in color than the old concrete.

Just today I got around to dragging out some Thompsons-type waterseal that
had been in the basement for years. Brushed it on and it looked pretty good.
Toned the color down as I'd hoped.

A few hours later, and it's drastically uneven and splotchy. Not acceptable.

I'm (obviously) not a serious concrete person. What might it take to seal
and look decent?

Thx,
Will

Posted to alt.home.repair

Puddin' Man wrote:
About 2 years ago, I had to mix/pour a sidewalk section in front of my house.
I used Quikcrete, finished it, but was too tired to seal it. It was -much-
lighter in color than the old concrete.

Just today I got around to dragging out some Thompsons-type waterseal that
had been in the basement for years. Brushed it on and it looked pretty good.
Toned the color down as I'd hoped.

A few hours later, and it's drastically uneven and splotchy. Not acceptable.

I'm (obviously) not a serious concrete person. What might it take to seal
and look decent?

Thx,
Will

The stuff I used is like a varnish. I did this in my garage after laid. It
still will spot with various stuff. Sealing is mostly for water
penetration. Regular thompsons is just like an oil or silicone, but I have
also used their wood seal that's kind of dries with a layer of material,
like a paint. I don't know how this would work on cement. Seems like it
would.

I would always try to add color to cement to match.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 22:25:45 -0500, Puddin' Man
wrote:

About 2 years ago, I had to mix/pour a sidewalk section in front of my house.
I used Quikcrete, finished it, but was too tired to seal it. It was -much-
lighter in color than the old concrete.

Just today I got around to dragging out some Thompsons-type waterseal that
had been in the basement for years. Brushed it on and it looked pretty good.
Toned the color down as I'd hoped.

A few hours later, and it's drastically uneven and splotchy. Not acceptable.

I'm (obviously) not a serious concrete person. What might it take to seal
and look decent?

Try a second coat. The first may have just even out some spots and
the second may even it out. This often happens with primer on wood so
it may work here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

About 2 years ago, I had to mix/pour a sidewalk section in front of my house.
I used Quikcrete, finished it, but was too tired to seal it. It was -much-
lighter in color than the old concrete.

Just today I got around to dragging out some Thompsons-type waterseal that
had been in the basement for years. Brushed it on and it looked pretty good.
Toned the color down as I'd hoped.

A few hours later, and it's drastically uneven and splotchy. Not acceptable.

I'm (obviously) not a serious concrete person. What might it take to seal
and look decent?

Try a second coat. The first may have just even out some spots and
the second may even it out. This often happens with primer on wood so
it may work here.

+1 on that thought-- and if 2 don't get there, try 3. . . or 4.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

About 2 years ago, I had to mix/pour a sidewalk section in front of my house.
I used Quikcrete, finished it, but was too tired to seal it. It was -much-
lighter in color than the old concrete.

Just today I got around to dragging out some Thompsons-type waterseal that
had been in the basement for years. Brushed it on and it looked pretty good.
Toned the color down as I'd hoped.

A few hours later, and it's drastically uneven and splotchy. Not acceptable.

I'm (obviously) not a serious concrete person. What might it take to seal
and look decent?

Try a second coat. *The first may have just even *out some spots and
the second may even it out. *This often happens with primer on wood so
it may work here.

+1 on that thought-- *and if 2 don't get there, try 3. . . *or 4.

Jim- Hide quoted text -

I'm not sure why you'd want to seal a sidewalk to begin
with. Probably 99.9% of the sidewalks out there are not
sealed to begin with. One downside to sealing is that it
makes it slippery when wet, not a good thing for a sidewalk.
And the more coats you put on the slicker it gets.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

To achieve what the OP asked about-- matching the color of aged
concrete?

In northern climes you might also help yourself out on a few frosty
mornings-- and, less likely, IMO , help the new concrete resist the
effects of rock salt.

Most importantly- and I've only used this stuff indoors, but I *love*
it. That new sealer that you roll on as soon as the concrete has set
slows the curing process and eliminates messing with plastic to cover.

Probably 99.9% of the sidewalks out there are not
sealed to begin with. One downside to sealing is that it
makes it slippery when wet, not a good thing for a sidewalk.
And the more coats you put on the slicker it gets.

If sealer makes your sidewalk slippery you already ruined it. A
broom finish will take a whole lot of sealer to bridge those ridges.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately, I don't see a clear sealer doing that, which
apparently was what Puddin found out.

In northern climes you might also help yourself out on a few frosty
mornings--

Help yourself do what? Slip and fall because with the
frost on the sealer it's slick?

*and, less likely, IMO , help the new concrete resist the
effects of rock salt.

That might be true.

Most importantly- and I've only used this stuff indoors, but I *love*
it. * That new sealer that you roll on as soon as the concrete has set
slows the curing process and eliminates messing with plastic to cover.

Probably 99.9% of the sidewalks out there are not
sealed to begin with. *One downside to sealing is that it
makes it slippery when wet, not a good thing for a sidewalk.
And the more coats you put on the slicker it gets.

If sealer makes your sidewalk slippery you already ruined it.

Nonsense. Read the directions for most of the concrete
sealers and they specifically warn about it potentially making
concrete slippery.

*A
broom finish will take a whole lot of sealer to bridge those ridges.

Jim- Hide quoted text -

Yes, having the underlying finish be rougher will help, but
any concrete with a typical sealer is going to be more
slippery that one without.

And the point is, what's the point? New concrete is almost
always going to look different than adjacent sections that
are old and aged. I don't see a clear sealer fixing that.'
If he wants to go with a concrete stain, then maybe, but
I'd think unless it's a solid type, the differences in the two
sections are still going to show up. And with a solid stain,
it looks like it's been painted. The usual solution is to
just let it age and after a few years, the differences will
diminish.
Posted to alt.home.repair

-

Try a second coat. *The first may have just even *out some spots and
the second may even it out. *This often happens with primer on wood so
it may work here.

That should do it, and no thompsons does not make concrete slippery at
all......

it will darken the concrete a little, but note when it rains the water
wouldnt absorb into the concrete.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 10:19:14 -0700 (PDT), bob haller wrote:

-

Try a second coat. *The first may have just even *out some spots and
the second may even it out. *This often happens with primer on wood so
it may work here.

That should do it, and no thompsons does not make concrete slippery at
all......

Parafin doesn't make concrete slippery?

it will darken the concrete a little, but note when it rains the water
wouldnt absorb into the concrete.

....and if you don't like it, it'll start coming off in a few months anyway,
usually in splotches. Thompson's is evil stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 09:02:26 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I'm not sure why you'd want to seal a sidewalk to begin
with.

To achieve what the OP asked about-- matching the color of aged
concrete?

Correct, and thanks.

Unfortunately, I don't see a clear sealer doing that, which
apparently was what Puddin found out.

It toned it down fine when first applied. But it didn't last.

In northern climes you might also help yourself out on a few frosty
mornings--

Help yourself do what? Slip and fall because with the
frost on the sealer it's slick?

I didn't brush it, but it's not slick. I don't think slipping
is an issue.

*and, less likely, IMO , help the new concrete resist the
effects of rock salt.

That might be true.

*A
broom finish will take a whole lot of sealer to bridge those ridges.

Jim- Hide quoted text -

Yes, having the underlying finish be rougher will help, but
any concrete with a typical sealer is going to be more
slippery that one without.

And the point is, what's the point? New concrete is almost
always going to look different than adjacent sections that
are old and aged.

True.

I don't see a clear sealer fixing that.'

It can help a bunch. The stuff was near white when it set. Stuck out
like a sore thumb.

If he wants to go with a concrete stain, then maybe, but
I'd think unless it's a solid type, the differences in the two
sections are still going to show up. And with a solid stain,
it looks like it's been painted. The usual solution is to
just let it age and after a few years, the differences will
diminish.

I've seen sealer that toned it down to near what the old,
weathered stuff looked like. But I don't even know what
kind of sealer had been used. I asked the guy, but he was
too busy ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm not sure why you'd want to seal a sidewalk to begin
with.

To achieve what the OP asked about-- matching the color of aged
concrete?

Correct, and thanks.

Unfortunately, I don't see a clear sealer doing that, which
apparently was what Puddin found out.

It toned it down fine when first applied. But it didn't last.

In northern climes you might also help yourself out on a few frosty
mornings--

Help yourself do what? * Slip and fall because with the
frost on the sealer it's slick?

I didn't brush it, but it's not slick. I don't think slipping
is an issue.

*and, less likely, IMO , help the new concrete resist the
effects of rock salt.

That might be true.

*...

*A
broom finish will take a whole lot of sealer to bridge those ridges.

Jim- Hide quoted text -

Yes, having the underlying finish be rougher will help, but
any concrete with a typical sealer is going to be more
slippery that one without.

And the point is, what's the point? * New concrete is almost
always going to look different than adjacent sections that
are old and aged.

True.

I don't see a clear sealer fixing that.'

It can help a bunch. The stuff was near white when it set. Stuck out
like a sore thumb.

It seems rather odd that a Thompson type clear sealer would
turn concrete near white. That sounds more like some
kind of product that's gone bad.

If he wants to go with a concrete stain, then maybe, but
I'd think unless it's a solid type, the differences in the two
sections are still going to show up. *And with a solid stain,
it looks like it's been painted. * The usual solution is to
just let it age and after a few years, the differences will
diminish.

I've seen sealer that toned it down to near what the old,
weathered stuff looked like. But I don't even know what
kind of sealer had been used. I asked the guy, but he was
too busy ...

* P

A related question is what is the end game? If you put
sealer on it, how long will it last before you have to do it
again? And I would think sealer would just keep delaying
the natural weathering process that will eventually bring
the two closer, probably to the point that it's no longer an
issue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 06:13:08 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

It can help a bunch. The stuff was near white when it set. Stuck out
like a sore thumb.

It seems rather odd that a Thompson type clear sealer would
turn concrete near white. That sounds more like some
kind of product that's gone bad.

You're not tracking. "near white when it set" means when
it was mixed/poured and shortly thereafter.

Concrete sealer Nonny[_2_] Home Repair 1 May 30th 10 03:09 PM
Difference between concrete sealer and concrete paint? Harry Muscle Home Repair 9 March 22nd 06 09:28 PM
Difference between concrete sealer and concrete paint? Harry Muscle Home Ownership 9 March 22nd 06 09:28 PM
Remove concrete sealer from fresh concrete Steve Miles Metalworking 8 May 25th 04 02:37 PM
Best sealer for concrete pavers? Oliver Costich Home Repair 3 April 5th 04 11:04 AM