Posted to alt.home.repair

Default faucet holes for Corian countertop

We are getting a Corian countertop for the kitchen (actually one of
the similar brands). When do we need to decide on the number of holes
for the faucet - when we order it, or are they drilled after it is
installed?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jan Philips" wrote in message

We are getting a Corian countertop for the kitchen (actually one of
the similar brands). When do we need to decide on the number of holes
for the faucet - when we order it, or are they drilled after it is
installed?

I would ask the supplier. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 18, 8:56*pm, "WW" wrote:
"Jan Philips" *wrote in message

We are getting a Corian countertop for the kitchen (actually one of
the similar brands). *When do we need to decide on the number of holes
for the faucet - when we order it, or are they drilled after it is
installed?

I would ask the supplier. *WW

The holes for the faucet are normally part of the sink itself and
don't go thru the countertop itself. Go to a store which carries what
you are buying and have a look-see.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 18, 10:53*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Oct 18, 8:56*pm, "WW" wrote:

"Jan Philips" *wrote in message

.. .

We are getting a Corian countertop for the kitchen (actually one of
the similar brands). *When do we need to decide on the number of holes
for the faucet - when we order it, or are they drilled after it is
installed?

I would ask the supplier. *WW

The holes for the faucet are normally part of the sink itself and
don't go thru the countertop itself. *Go to a store which carries what
you are buying and have a look-see.

That depends on the sink and I would say there is no
normal. If anything, I would think that most new kitchen installs
with Corian counters are being done with faucets that use
holes in the countertop because that's how under-mount
type sinks are installed.

And I would think that the holes for the faucets would
most likely be done at the shop, because it's easier and
quicker, but could be done later
if there were some need for it. They have to do a cut-out
for the specific sink and would seem natural that the faucet
holes, if needed, would be done at the same time.

But, as someone else posted, why not just ask the
supplier of the counter top?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 21:23:01 -0400, Jan Philips
wrote:

We are getting a Corian countertop for the kitchen (actually one of
the similar brands). When do we need to decide on the number of holes
for the faucet - when we order it, or are they drilled after it is
installed?

I didn't mention that the sink is built in, of the same material.
Senior Member

It would probably be best to decide now on the kind of sink and faucet you want. Some sinks have holes cut in them for the faucet. With Corian you can have either an undermount or drop in sink. If you tell your installer what sink and faucet you want, then he'll decide whether to cut the holes at the shop or once the top is in position.

You should also be aware that Corian (and all the different brands of cultured marble) aren't actually marble at all. They're made by mixing clay dust into the same plastic that Plexiglas is made of to give it colour and opacity. So, be careful not to use nail polish remover or paint stripper near your Corian counter top because anything that will harm latex paint will also harm your Corian. I'd be cautious about serving any hard liquor on that counter top because I know that 99% isopropyl alcohol will dissolve latex paints, so there may be some chance of vodka or gin etching the Corian as well. If in doubt, try it on your latex painted wall before putting it on your Corian. You can always paint over the wall.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Jan Philips wrote in
:

wrote:

We are getting a Corian countertop for the kitchen (actually one of
the similar brands). When do we need to decide on the number of holes
for the faucet - when we order it, or are they drilled after it is
installed?

I didn't mention that the sink is built in, of the same material.

Firstly, I wouldn't like Corian for my kitchen sink, but I don't know
what you are really getting. We like our Silestone**® ...

Secondly, whether or not the sink is "built-in" is totally useless
information. The holes for the faucet, soap dispenser, instant ho****er
faucet, etc, etc, depend on your choice of faucet, etc, etc. Until you
have decided that, your installer shouldn't install the countertop or
sink.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/18/2012 9:23 PM, Jan Philips wrote:
We are getting a Corian countertop for the kitchen (actually one of
the similar brands). When do we need to decide on the number of holes
for the faucet - when we order it, or are they drilled after it is
installed?

Might be interesting to browse the DuPont Corian site:

http://www2.dupont.com/Surfaces/en_U..._products.html

Not all of these solid surface products are identical.
DuPont uses methacrylate based resin binders and I have seen others that
use less stable polyesters.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012, DerbyDad03 wrote:

"hr(bob) " wrote:
The holes for the faucet are normally part of the sink itself and
don't go thru the countertop itself. Go to a store which carries what
you are buying and have a look-see.

Really? I guess they'll have throw all of these out.

http://sell.lulusoso.com/upload/2011...countertop.jpg

But those are not kitchen countertops. Those are sink tops for a bathroom.
They are not interchangeable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"hr(bob) " wrote:
The holes for the faucet are normally part of the sink itself and
don't go thru the countertop itself. Go to a store which carries what
you are buying and have a look-see.

Really? I guess they'll have throw all of these out.

http://sell.lulusoso.com/upload/2011...countertop.jpg

But those are not kitchen countertops. Those are sink tops for a bathroom.
They are not interchangeable.

That's your push back? Bathroom countertops vs. kitchen countertops?

The point was that the holes aren't "normally" part of the sink. They can
most certainly go through the counter top.

This better?

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/cut-cir...cet-30098.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don.www.donwiss.com(e-mail link at home page bottom).

That's your push back? Bathroom countertops vs. kitchen countertops?

The point was that the holes aren't "normally" part of the sink. They can
most certainly go through the counter top.

This better?

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/cut-cir...-faucet-30...- Hide quoted text -

LOL. Don has a point, but by just raising the objection
without acknowledging that you are correct on the essential
point, which is that lots of kitchen countertops have
holes for the faucets to mount, he just adds to the confusion
of some.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"hr(bob) " wrote:
[...]

I misread what was posted. I though it was about predrilled holes, versus
holes drilled at the time of installation. Bathroom countertops are often
predrilled. Kitchen counters are never predrilled, and are drilled at
installation, if the faucet holes are not part of the sink.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/cut-cir...cet-30....Hide quoted text -

LOL. *Don has a point, but by just raising the objection
without acknowledging that you are correct on the essential
point, which is that lots of kitchen countertops have
holes for the faucets to mount, he just adds to the confusion
of some.

I misread what was posted. I though it was about predrilled holes, versus
holes drilled at the time of installation. Bathroom countertops are often
predrilled. Kitchen counters are never predrilled, and are drilled at
installation, if the faucet holes are not part of the sink.

Don.www.donwiss.com(e-mail link at home page bottom).- Hide quoted text -

Which just adds to the confusion because now it depends
on what the meaning of "at time of installation" is. Are you saying
that kitchen countertops are only drilled on-site, not at the shop?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"hr(bob) " wrote:
[...]

One must be careful when using the word "never".

Scroll down this site to the 7th image:

http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/dupo...lation-review/

I'm sure that that is not a one off situation. When possible, pre-drilling
in the controlled environment of the countertop cutting shop is probably
the best choice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Wiss wrote:
[...]

I disagree with your use of the word "never".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 19 Oct 2012 11:30:07 GMT, Han wrote:

Secondly, whether or not the sink is "built-in" is totally useless
information. The holes for the faucet, soap dispenser, instant ho****er
faucet, etc, etc, depend on your choice of faucet, etc, etc. Until you
have decided that, your installer shouldn't install the countertop or
sink.

He was here 3 days ago to measure to make the template. We have not
picked the faucet yet, and I told him "2 hole". Since then we have
looked and we may want to go with a 3-hole faucet. I'm wondering if
that will be a problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Jan Philips wrote in
:

On 19 Oct 2012 11:30:07 GMT, Han wrote:

Secondly, whether or not the sink is "built-in" is totally useless
information. The holes for the faucet, soap dispenser, instant
ho****er faucet, etc, etc, depend on your choice of faucet, etc, etc.
Until you have decided that, your installer shouldn't install the
countertop or sink.

He was here 3 days ago to measure to make the template. We have not
picked the faucet yet, and I told him "2 hole". Since then we have
looked and we may want to go with a 3-hole faucet. I'm wondering if
that will be a problem.

Obviously that depends on the distance between the holes. And on any
clearance away from the sink below required by the faucet. For our
Silestone counter and stainless under counter sink, we chose a single
hole Moen faucet 10 or so years ago, and have NOT regretted that one bit.
It saved us valuable counterspace, and makes it easier to clean between
faucet and backsplash.

This was our reasoning. Tastes vary, which makes for a diverse world -
Hurrah!!

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Han wrote in
:

Jan Philips wrote in
:

[...]

Jan Philips? Sounds Dutch, like me, although I've lived in the US since
1969.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Oct 2012, " wrote:

Which just adds to the confusion because now it depends
on what the meaning of "at time of installation" is. Are you saying
that kitchen countertops are only drilled on-site, not at the shop?

I mean it loosely. Either at at the shop or in the home. It was a rush
post, as I was heading out to go sailing. A better word would have been
custom. All holes for faucets in kitchen counters are custom, and often
they are not for bathroom sinks. As pictured.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

Don Wiss wrote:

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/cut-cir...n-top-faucet-3

LOL. Don has a point, but by just raising the objection
without acknowledging that you are correct on the essential
point, which is that lots of kitchen countertops have
holes for the faucets to mount, he just adds to the confusion
of some.

I misread what was posted. I though it was about predrilled holes,
versus holes drilled at the time of installation. Bathroom
countertops are often predrilled. Kitchen counters are never
predrilled, and are drilled at installation, if the faucet holes are
not part of the sink.

One must be careful when using the word "never".

Always? :-)

Scroll down this site to the 7th image:

http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/dupo...installation-r