Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pressure Washer Pressures?

So with a pressure washer -- what pressure is appropriate for what?

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Davej wrote:
So with a pressure washer -- what pressure is appropriate for what?

Thanks.

I would not get one less than 2400 PSI for normal household use. That
allows the cleaning of concrete surfaces. The water intake is also
important, but I would expect it would be about 3 gal. per minute at
that pressure. I talked to several owners before I bought mine, and
those who bought less powerful ones regretted it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Davej" wrote in message
So with a pressure washer -- what pressure is appropriate for what?

Thanks.

It all depends on what you want to use it for. I'm not sure if there are
variable ones or not. It is always good to ease into a project, and not put
full force on there, or you will first find out how good the paint sticks.
Or not. On some wash jobs, standing with the tip eight feet away and using
it as a gentle spray is sufficient. On other things, you have to hold it
one inch away. And then, there's different sized tips on the good ones, and
at least somewhat variable tips on the others, but it might just adjust from
straight jet to wider spray.

Anyone know if there are adjustable pressure washers?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 8, 9:11*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Davej" wrote in message

So with a pressure washer -- what pressure is appropriate for what?

Thanks.

It all depends on what you want to use it for. *I'm not sure if there are
variable ones or not. *It is always good to ease into a project, and not put
full force on there, or you will first find out how good the paint sticks..
Or not. *On some wash jobs, standing with the tip eight feet away and using
it as a gentle spray is sufficient. *On other things, you have to hold it
one inch away. *And then, there's different sized tips on the good ones, and
at least somewhat variable tips on the others, but it might just adjust from
straight jet to wider spray.

Anyone know if there are adjustable pressure washers?

Steve

Yes there are adjustable pressure washers.....

OP-

Effect on target surface is a function of pressure, nozzle type &
distance.

With high pressure, small diameter jet and close application one can
damage concrete surfaces or blow holes in wood.

As Steve suggests "ease into the job" using lower pressure & a less
concentrated nozzle & more standoff.
You can always go higher & closer but you cannot "undamage" a
surface.

I've used a ~3000 psi washer and damaged the surface of concrete.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

I saved a few dollars, buying used on Ebay. I won't bore you with details,
but that didn't work. I ended up buying one at Home Depot which turned out
to be a lot cheaper than the used ones off Ebay. I looked for one with metal
pump housing. You can tell, the high pressure outlet threads are metal. It
has served me well, since then.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Ken" wrote in message ...

I would not get one less than 2400 PSI for normal household use. That
allows the cleaning of concrete surfaces. The water intake is also
important, but I would expect it would be about 3 gal. per minute at
that pressure. I talked to several owners before I bought mine, and
those who bought less powerful ones regretted it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Straight stream will leave lines, on asphalt.

You're right, start with wide spray and some distance from the work.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"DD_BobK" wrote in message

I've used a ~3000 psi washer and damaged the surface of concrete.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/2012 7:45 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Straight stream will leave lines, on asphalt.

You can also write your name in concrete. I'm wondering if p.w. can be
used on wood decks without raising the grain badly?

.

"DD_BobK" wrote in message

I've used a ~3000 psi washer and damaged the surface of concrete.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn writes:

On 10/9/2012 7:45 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Straight stream will leave lines, on asphalt.

You can also write your name in concrete. I'm wondering if p.w. can be
used on wood decks without raising the grain badly?

As other posters have indicated, the pressure delivered to the object
being washed is controlled by the distance of the nozzle to the object.

I use one on composite decking. Too close and I can leave a line.
Very easy not to do that, just back off.

--
Dan Espen