Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal,alt.law-enforcement

Default Not home repair, per set ... but voice recording home repairmenquestion

On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 04:01:09 -0500, K Wills wrote:

Considering the only time I've been pulled over in the past eight years
was due to my tag lights being out (I didn't get a ticket and replaced
the bulbs in less than an hour), I don't expect I'll need to worry.

You're lucky you don't live in California.

I got pulled over for a crooked tag (registration sticker) and I did get
a ($25 fixit) ticket!

If you ever needed proof that there are too many cops in California with
nothing to do - there's all the proof I need!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 11:16:51 -0400, Jack wrote:

Do you really want crooks working in your home?
Why don't you hire honest contractors?

The problem is that you have no way of knowing if they're lying to you,
until AFTER the fact.

It's then that the recording can be replayed to them so 'remind' them of
what they said to you.

Without the recording, they can say "I didn't say that".

Why else record?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"James Gagney" wrote in message
On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 11:16:51 -0400, Jack wrote:

Do you really want crooks working in your home?
Why don't you hire honest contractors?

The problem is that you have no way of knowing if they're lying to you,
until AFTER the fact.

It's then that the recording can be replayed to them so 'remind' them of
what they said to you.

Without the recording, they can say "I didn't say that".

Why else record?

Don't record, get everything in writing. Make sure it is signed. That
should make it a legal document if ever needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal,alt.law-enforcement

On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 18:54:28 +0000 (UTC), Bob Stevens
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 04:01:09 -0500, K Wills wrote:

Considering the only time I've been pulled over in the past eight years
was due to my tag lights being out (I didn't get a ticket and replaced
the bulbs in less than an hour), I don't expect I'll need to worry.

You're lucky you don't live in California.

I got pulled over for a crooked tag (registration sticker) and I did get
a ($25 fixit) ticket!

If you ever needed proof that there are too many cops in California with
nothing to do - there's all the proof I need!

You keep voting down tax increases. They're going to get it one way or the
other.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal,alt.law-enforcement

K Wills wrote:
On Sun, 23 Sep 2012 12:42:52 -0700, "Bill Graham"
wrote:

[...]

So, may I ask:
Given the California law we all read which gives an exception for
recording 'government' activity without prior consent:
http://www.citmedialaw.org/legal-gui...-recording-law
Does that law also give the GOVERNMENT that right - (i.e., does it
give the police the right to record the traffic stop on a hand held
device) or does it give the only the PUBLIC the right to record
government activity without consent?

Both have the same right in public.

Buy yourself a Tascam GY-R!, ($150) Carry it with you at all times.
It can be started at the touch of a button. The next time you are
stopped, turn it on and record everything yourself. Then you will
have the evidence you need when you get to court.

Considering the only time I've been pulled over in the past eight
years was due to my tag lights being out (I didn't get a ticket and
replaced the bulbs in less than an hour), I don't expect I'll need to
worry.

Also true with me. but the little machine has other uses. When something
complicated is explained to me, I can listen to the recording later and
figure it out in the quie3t of my own study which iws a great advantage at
my age. My machine is sensitive enough to pick up both sides of a telephone
conversation, so even when I am getting technical advice over the telephone,
such as from Apple's help department, I can record it and it helps me
remember/figure it out later....

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal

K Wills wrote:
On Sun, 23 Sep 2012 12:49:06 -0700, "Bill Graham"
wrote:

[...]

If these people are outside, there isn't much in the way of an
expectation of privacy.

BS. If two people are standing outside on private property
with clear sight all around, no one else there, there is certainly
a reasonable expectation of privacy, very similar to if they
were meeting inside a home. In fact, if anything, it could
be argued that the contractor might be entitled to less
protection inside the customer's home, where the home
owner might be more entitled to have some recording
system set up. I think you will find that in those states
that have laws covering fact to face converstations,
covertly taping someone in an empty parking lot is
treated exactly the same as if you did it in your house.
If they wanted to draw that distinction, they would have
done it in the law.

But today, they make hi fidelity recorders that are about the size
of a pack of cigarettes that can record for 24 hours or more on a
battery and 16 gig memory card. So there is no such thing as an,
"expectation of privacy" any more.

Even before that the expectation of privacy was diminished when
out in public.

True. This comes under the, "unenforceable law" department to me. As a
libertarian, I think it is ridiculous. If you don't trust who you are
talking to, then just shut up!.....:^) So far, they haven't figured out how
to record your thoughts. When they do that, then we are all going to be in
big trouble!

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal

wrote:
On Sep 24, 5:01 am, K Wills wrote:
On Sun, 23 Sep 2012 12:49:06 -0700, "Bill Graham"

[...]

--
Bless me, Father, for I have committed an original sin.
I poked a badger with a spoon.- Hide quoted text -

You're confusing being outside with being in public.

If you are talking to someone else, or in his/her automobile or house, there
could be a recorder picking up everything you say. Everyone should realize
that, and not say anything that they don't want to be broadcast to the whole
world to anyone. IOW, it costs nothing to just keep your mouth shut!

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal,alt.law-enforcement

James Gagney wrote:
On Sun, 23 Sep 2012 12:42:52 -0700, Bill Graham wrote:

Buy yourself a Tascam GY-R!, ($150)

Finally, an answer of what recorder has AA batteries & voice
activation (so it can be left on all the time)!

Looking up this device:
http://tascam.com/product/gt-r1/

I like that the USB 2.0 jack charges the recorder in addition to
copying files to the PC, and that it uses an SD card for storage.

Of the two requirements, the AA battery need may be moot if it's a
rechargeable battery - but the specifications page says nothing about
it being voice activated:
http://tascam.com/product/gt-r1/specifications/

Did I miss something in the spec for vox voice activation?
Here's what that spec page says:
Portable stereo recording with built-in condenser microphones
MP3 or WAV file recording, up to 48kHz/24-bit
1/4" Instrument input for Guitar or Bass
Amp simulation, reverb and multi-effects
Over 80 rhythm tracks in a variety of styles
Overdub function allows users to record over an existing track
Powered microphone input
Low cut filter and analog limiter on input
Loop and change the speed of music playback without changing the
pitch to learn and transcribe new music
Guitar and Bass canceller allows musicians to play along
Includes 1GB SD Card and rechargeable battery
USB 2.0 Connection to computer for file transfer and charging
Optional AK-DR1 includes a tabletop stand, microphone clip and
windscreen

Its a great little recorder, but it uses a rechargeable battery, and not
"AA" type batteries. The battery is rather expensive, but it lasts a long
time and gives the recorder the capability of recording for nearly 24 hours
on a charge. That's why I bought a 16 Gig card for mine, which gives me the
capability of redording Hi-Fi sound for about 24 hours. Now, if I could just
figure out a way to sneak it under J-Low's bed.....:^)

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal,alt.law-enforcement

James Gagney wrote:
On Sun, 23 Sep 2012 13:15:03 -0700, Bill Graham wrote:
I meant, "Tascam GT-R1"

I appreciate the pointer because the original goal is to find a voice-
activated recorder that can stay on all the time to only record
conversations, and which has a convenient battery.

Googling for Tascam GT-R1 specifications, and looking to see if it's
voice activated and whether it has AA batteries ... unfortunately says
nothing about either goal.

The battery appears to be rechargeable (which is fine); but it doesn't
say whether it has VOx or not, so, for example, it can be left in a
room where workers are rebuilding the kitchen, and all the
conversations can be recorded.

It doesn't have VOX, but it uses very little power, so you can leave it on
for like 24 hours, if you put a 16 Gig card in it. It only comes with a 1
gig card, which only gives it about 90 minute capability.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal,alt.law-enforcement

Bob Stevens wrote:
On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 04:01:09 -0500, K Wills wrote:

Considering the only time I've been pulled over in the past eight
years was due to my tag lights being out (I didn't get a ticket and
replaced the bulbs in less than an hour), I don't expect I'll need
to worry.

You're lucky you don't live in California.

I got pulled over for a crooked tag (registration sticker) and I did
get a ($25 fixit) ticket!

If you ever needed proof that there are too many cops in California
with nothing to do - there's all the proof I need!

California has too many (everybody's) with nothing to do.... That's why they
are over 20 billion dollars in debt....

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal

HeyBub wrote:
James Gagney wrote:
On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 09:17:41 -0700, wrote:

That sure doesn't sound like he intends to sit the recorder in front
of the HVAC guy and make it obvious that he is recording him, ie an
open recording.

I want it hidden in my pocket.

But, the real question wasn't about legality (although I had never
even prior considered it being illegal until you guys pointed that
out).

I just wanted a Vox voice activated recorder that used AA batteries!

I wonder if I didn't mention the original purpose if the thread would
have given suggestions of what YOU guys use for voice recordings?

Google is sometimes your friend
http://www.amazon.com/RCA-RP3538R-Mi.../dp/B000JSR20E

http://www.radioshack.com/graphics/u...129A_PM_EN.pdf

http://www2.produktinfo.conrad.com/d...enrecorder.pdf

and several hundred thousand mo
http://www.google.com/search?q=vox+a...w=1026&bih=473

There are lots of little, and cheap voice recorders on the market, but the
GT-R1 has Hi Fidelity, and records excellent quality music in a band
setting, or an auditorium with its own built-in microphones. It doesn't have
built in speakers, however. If you want to listen to what you recorded, you
have to either use headphones, or download it into your computer first.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal

On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 07:18:56 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

K Wills wrote:

It's nothing, really. The same can often be done with
information. The Constitution requires indictment for some crimes,
even though it is, IMO, not necessary. However, it remains nothing
more than my opinion.

Slight correction. An indictment by a grand jury is only incumbent upon the
federal government. This provision of the 5th Amendment has not been
"incorporated" upon the states.

Point taken.

--
I could write about noble gases, but there would be no reaction.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ralph Mowery wrote:

Why else record?

Don't record, get everything in writing. Make sure it is signed. That
should make it a legal document if ever needed.

It's hard to make a written memorandum of everything that's said and a
recording is just as good (sometimes better) than a written document.

A "contract" is a meeting of the minds on the mutual rewards and obligations
of the parties to the contract.

An "oral" contract is just as valid as a written one (with a few exceptions
such as the sale of real estate). The problem with an oral contract, though,
is that it degenerates into "he said, she said" confusion with no clear
answer as to who is right. A recording usually eliminates that problem.