Posted to alt.home.repair
cj cj is offline

Default non slip surface

My elderly neighbors have asked me to replace their wooden out door
steps and are interested in some sort of non slip surface applied to the
new steps. There seems to be a few choices and I would like to inquire
here for any recommendations.Since it is an outdoor application I am in
need for a durable solution that can hold up to Michigan weather.
thank cj
Posted to alt.home.repair

"cj" wrote in message
My elderly neighbors have asked me to replace their wooden out door steps
and are interested in some sort of non slip surface applied to the new
steps. There seems to be a few choices and I would like to inquire here
for any recommendations.Since it is an outdoor application I am in need
for a durable solution that can hold up to Michigan weather.
thank cj

If you are not concerned about appearance, fix some chicken wire on the
treads with staples. Can't be beaten for non-slip.

Posted to alt.home.repair

cj wrote:
My elderly neighbors have asked me to replace their wooden out door
steps and are interested in some sort of non slip surface applied to
the new steps. There seems to be a few choices and I would like to
inquire here for any recommendations.Since it is an outdoor
application I am in need for a durable solution that can hold up to
Michigan weather. thank cj

1. Paint the steps

2. While the paint is wet, sprinkle some sand on them

3. Paint again

Alternatively...

1. Mask off to make strips

2. Paint the strips and sprinkle sand while wet

3. When dry, paint all one or more times.

Oil paint is best. You can get colored poly porch & floor paint. Very
durable.

If you don't want the steps painted, you could make strips, apply clear oil
poly and grit. Top with 2-3 additional coats of clear poly.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "dadiOH"
wrote:

cj wrote:
[...]

I have zero knowledge/experience with any of this... however, I remember
years ago seeing little cartons of 'special' sand being sold for just
this purpose at the hardware store.

Don't know if it had any special advantage over garden variety sand, or
was just a marketing gimmick.

Good Luck!

Erik
Posted to alt.home.repair

cj wrote:
My elderly neighbors have asked me to replace their wooden out door steps
and are interested in some sort of non slip surface applied to the new
steps. There seems to be a few choices and I would like to inquire here
for any recommendations.Since it is an outdoor application I am in need
for a durable solution that can hold up to Michigan weather.
thank cj

I can't see what the NEW steps are made of.??

Assume concrete. You can buy patio paint that has the grit in it. I used to
buy it cheap at walmart, but no longer carry. I would have made concrete
with lines in it.
sure, I've thrown in sand before. These all wear away in some years.

For wood, stick on like sandpaper strips works well. I bought a big roll
back when I was doing our boat.

Greg

Senior Member

If it wuz me, and I could get under the steps you're gonna build, I would install indoor/outdoor carpeting on each tread. Years ago, indoor/outdoor carpet was typically green and looked like plastic grass, but nowadays you can't tell it apart from any 100% Olefin carpet, such as any of those sold at Home Depot.

Indoor/outdoor carpet is commonly used around swimming pools because it's not slippery when wet. Also, it doesn't become brittle like some plastics when it gets really cold.

1. screw down pieces of pinned naplock at both the front and back of each stair tread:

http://www.onlinecarpet.com.au/admin...f alse&p=true

Naplock is made of anodized aluminum, so it won't rust or discolour outdoors.

Screw right through each wood stair tread at both front and back. Then clamp your pieces of naplock down to the tread and drill up through those same holes to make holes at those locations in the naplock. Now, use stainless steel or brass screws to screw the naplock down. Space your screws every 6 to 8 inches.

(Pinned naplock will come pre-punched with holes, but the guy at that punching machine must be off the wagon because the holes are never uniformly spaced. Sometimes there's a good 12 inches between holes, other times only 4 inches. It's annoying.)

2. Buy one small piece of indoor/outdoor carpeting in a light and one in a dark colour and alternate the carpet colour on each tread for safety. Our eyes can't see colours when it's dark, but we can still distinguish between light and dark materials in the dark. OK that with your neighbors because they may think a light coloured carpet is a poor choice of colours cuz it'll show more when it gets dirty. They might prefer you use two different colours cuz they almost never go out after dark anyhow.

Cut those pieces of carpet to fit between the risers and between the strips of naplock.

3. Crimp the lip of the naplock down with a pair of channel lock pliers all along the length of the naplock. Maybe use a steel plate or something to protect the underside of the wood treads (if needed). When I install carpet, I typically use a piece of 3/4 inch thick hardwood flooring about 10 inches long and set the bottom edge of that hardwood on the lip of the naplock, and then pound on the top edge down tight onto the carpet with a rubber mallet. But, by using a pair of channel lock pliers, you get the same job done without all the pounding (which might be quite concerning to your neighbors.) If you crimp the naplock down tight every 2 to 4 inches, that should be sufficient, but the more you crimp that naplock down onto the carpet, the better it'll hold the carpet in place.

Maybe use an easy-to-remove latex caulk along the carpet/riser joint to keep the carpet from ravelling at it's edges. (alternatively, use naplock there too and hammer the lip down as described above)

That's what I'd do if it wuz me.

I'm intentionally not gluing the carpeting down here because I believe the naplock alone would be sufficient to hold small pieces of carpet like that securely in place. But, I ain't never done dat, so if you disagree, you can also use indoor/outdoor double sided carpet tape to hold things in place:

Naplock is sold in 10 foot lengths for about a dollar per foot. It comes in "silver", "gold" and "titanium" colours, with titanium being a relatively new thing and costing about twice as much just cuz of the novelty of it. You cut it to length with either a pair of tin snips or a hack saw.

I'm nestork and I approved this message.

Last edited by nestork : September 19th 12 at 05:38 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/18/2012 11:50 AM, cj wrote:
My elderly neighbors have asked me to replace their wooden out door
steps and are interested in some sort of non slip surface applied to the
new steps. There seems to be a few choices and I would like to inquire
here for any recommendations.Since it is an outdoor application I am in
need for a durable solution that can hold up to Michigan weather.
thank cj

A dental office near where we used to live East of Seattle had wide
curving steps going up to the offices. Snow and ice made them really
dangerous, so they fastened expanded metal (aluminum, I think) to the
steps. worked great in the winter snow, but were a pain to walk on the
rest of the year. Also looked like crap.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , cj wrote:
My elderly neighbors have asked me to replace their wooden out door
steps and are interested in some sort of non slip surface applied to the
new steps. There seems to be a few choices and I would like to inquire
here for any recommendations.Since it is an outdoor application I am in
need for a durable solution that can hold up to Michigan weather.
thank cj

Drive lots of long nails up through the steps.

Would it do any good to cut several 1/8" deep grooves the width of each
step?

Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:
cj wrote:
[...]

Sand is easy to get, and some paint stores sell it as a non skid
compound, but I found that it clumped and didn't last well. A marine
supply store should have non skid compound that consists of tiny glass
beads. They work very well and last quite a while, but cost more than
sand. I just mix a small bit into the paint I will be using, and stir
it as I work to keep them in suspension.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 10:14:43 -0400, Notat Home wrote:

dadiOH wrote:
cj wrote:
[...]

The anti-skid stuff I've bought in the past was very fine silica sand. It's
quite like the stuff found on the beaches on the redneck Riviera.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 14:50:22 -0400, cj wrote:

My elderly neighbors have asked me to replace their wooden out door
steps and are interested in some sort of non slip surface applied to the
new steps. There seems to be a few choices and I would like to inquire
here for any recommendations.Since it is an outdoor application I am in
need for a durable solution that can hold up to Michigan weather.
thank cj

....bottle caps stapled up-side down on the wood or a single nail in
the center of the cap.

Plenty of grip.

Expanded metal mesh will work, too.

What is a Slip Coupler? jim UK diy 7 October 14th 11 05:02 PM
Non - slip shower surface Hugh - Was Invisible UK diy 4 October 10th 11 11:45 PM
slip roll - isn't!! ?? Grant Erwin Metalworking 1 September 13th 07 01:30 AM
slip roll? Grant Erwin Metalworking 10 September 11th 07 10:47 AM
Non Slip Stickers John UK diy 1 January 8th 04 03:24 AM