Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How does Charter phone connect to the phone lines?

We are getting Charter phone added Wednesday. The faq says:
Number Of Phone Lines

Charter will install up to two separate phone lines and a distinctive
ring for residential customers. If you need more than two separate
phone lines please contact Charter Business at 1-888-692-8635.
http://www.myaccount.charter.com/cus...Ofphoneli nes

I really don't need two different phone numbers, but since the second
line is free, I was considering how I may use it.

I currently have 2 cordless phones with 3 handsets each. One of the
base phones is right where the router (and UPS) is located at the
house. I am considering putting a single jack for that phone on the
main phone number and then letting the rest of the jacks in the house
be supplied by the second phone number.

I don't know how the phone equipment connects to the phone system.
What would be nice is if the phone guy would just install a jack that
has two ports. One for each phone number.

I could then plug the base into one jack and that gives the 3 most
important phones the main phone number.

For the second line, I have a base block next to the equipment. I
could just take a 6' phone cord and jump between the second line and
the new phone jack line 2. This would make the entire house then be
on the second phone line back feed through the room jack.

Would this work?

If it turned out that I would really want the other base (and the rest
of the house) on the same number, I could just change the jumper and
put all the phones on the main number.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/9/2012 12:03 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
[...]

They will connect a box called an MTA. It has jacks on it and you can do
what you described.

As far as a second home number I wouldn't even have a use for a first
home number. We dumped the land line and since most of our family and
friends use the same cell carrier there are never any minutes used or
extra charges. I think it makes sense to use the money you would put
into a home phone into a better plan cell phone plan that you can use
anywhere.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 09 Sep 2012 12:03:16 -0400, Metspitzer
wrote:

For the second line, I have a base block next to the equipment. I
could just take a 6' phone cord and jump between the second line and
the new phone jack line 2. This would make the entire house then be
on the second phone line back feed through the room jack.

Would this work?

That is the common practice - back feed from the MTA to the other
phones.

Just be sure that you disconnect the other phone company feed at the
NID.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 09 Sep 2012 12:21:50 -0400, George
wrote:

[...]

Well...........I was on satellite when I returned to Charter for
broadband.

I called to add TV and the package WITH phone was cheaper than the
price they quoted me WITHOUT.

What are you gonna do?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Not bother because it is a promo price. Our local cable company is
comcast. They started offering phones maybe two years ago and had
similar bundle prices. Then lots of people were surprised how much it
cost after the promo expired. As I said we picked an idea that makes
more sense for us. If it were a really significant savings I might take
the MTA and put it unopened in the closet and put a tickler on my
calendar to return it before the promo expired.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I got the Comcast triple play a few months ago when I upgraded TV's to
HD. Saved about $70 just to take a phone.

Every year or 6 months it is a battle with Comcast to get their initial
offer but that is what you have to do with either them or Verizon fios.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

After my promo was over last time I had Charter, Charter gave me a
good deal to stay. Many months later they imposed a bandwidth cap and
I switched to DSL to protest. It didn't work. I realized now that it
was an attempt to get me to subscribe to a heaver package.

I should have done it. Charter is much better than DSL. I don't
think they are too strict on the cap, but initially I was using a lion
share and getting it for cheap. I pay for the 30/4 meg package now.

Comcast is about the only ISP left that does not impose a cap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

news
wrote:

[...]

Nice to have that second line if you have a home business though. Thanks
for the info.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

The 2nd line could be connected to you computer as a fax line, maybe.
Some broadband telephone lines don't work as a fax line ... some do.
Here I don't have the option of cable, so it's got to be DSL or
satellite for data. But the telephone company does give you a 'free'
POTS line if you bundle 3 services. I guess too many people are giving
up their wired lines and they have lots of equipment and copper in the
cables. But it is real nice for faxing. Sure, I'd like to send
documents, etc. over email, however, medical people will usually only
accept faxes for 'security reasons'. So, I have the main number
connected to a 1 line cordless phone (5.8GHz) with 4 handsets scattered
around. The fax line is connected to my computer which auto answers as
a fax and it is also connected to a 2nd cordless (DECT 6) phone which
allows 2 lines. I got it free so it was a no brainer to set it up with
both lines. Besides sending/receiving a fax, the 2nd line could be used
for an outgoing call when the 1st line is busy (on the 2nd cordless
handset, or its wired base handset).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 08:48:11 -0400, Art Todesco
wrote:

[...]

I have a fax. The second number would be useful if the fax would work
with it. I suspect that, although it would work sometimes, it would
not work reliably. (I am going to try)

Since I do not have long distance on my phone, I have tried to use
Google Voice to send a fax long distance. Sometimes it would work and
sometimes not. But what made it worthless was that the times it did
not work, the fax still reported successful. I had to send a copy of
a driver's license once. The girl said it sent half of the page.

I was able to talk her into letting me scan it and email it. She gave
me her email address and it was AOL. It amazes me the amount of
people that still require a fax. Email is, more often than not, not
an option.

On the subject of fax, smart phones should have that capability. Being
able to send or receive a fax from a smart phone would add 0 cost of
the phone.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

phone lines please contact Charter Business at 1-888-692-8635.http://www.myaccount.charter.com/cus...?supportarticl...

[...]

The connection to the phone lines in your home is the
same as the way the phone company connects, through
the demarc box they just disconnect the phone company
feed and cross connect their phone box into yours...

Something people should know about using Vonage and
cable provider phone lines is that they are NOT protected
in the event of a power failure the devices that connect you
from the cable network or your internet connection needs
power in order to provide you with phone service... The
plain old telephone service provided by the phone company
works during power failures if you aren't using cordless
phones... Those who rely on cell phones to communicate
during an emergency are foolish, the cell phone network
can be placed in restricted mode by various local, state
and federal officials during which phones which are not
programmed into an authorized users list will not be able
to make any calls other than to 911...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

e-mail is too easily spoofed...
not that fax numbers are all that secure either
but obtaining pen register info on outgoing calls
from a phone number and customer phone billing
records is a lot easier than tracing down layer
upon layer of proxies on the internet with connections
supplied by more than one internet service
provider in multiple countries when fraud
occurs...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/10/2012 2:39 PM, Evan wrote:
[...]

So what makes you think the POTS providers of today are virtually
bulletproof like they were years ago? Droves of people are abandoning
service and ask a twenty something today what a home phone is. The
result is those carriers have less money to work with and they have
really cut back on maintenance and staff.

I never heard of your idea about only government phones working and
other phones being disabled. The actual system is called WPS and what it
does is allow enabled cell numbers to get access first.

Connect BT phone to Virgin socket Mentalguy2k8 UK diy 7 April 2nd 12 02:35 PM
really old phone lines wendylee815 Home Repair 110 October 1st 08 05:31 AM
What Wiring needed to connect phone handset lead to PC? Jim Electronics Repair 8 June 3rd 06 12:29 AM
phone lines pockets UK diy 2 October 18th 05 05:28 PM
How to Extend 5 Phone Lines by 15-ft? [email protected] Home Repair 37 January 17th 05 09:22 PM