Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Do you lick your wounds?

OT Do you lick your wounds? Or maybe not so OT, because when do I
get half of my wounds, during home repair.

I do, and I mentioned this to a female friend of mine, and she said
there were a lot of germs in one's mouth and he shoudln't do that.

Searching the web, here are excerpts from web pages, about people
likcking thier own wounds, dogs licking their own wounds, and dogs
brought in to lick people's wounds.

My question remains, do you lick your wounds?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0723094841.htm
ScienceDaily (July 24, 2008) * A report by scientists from The
Netherlands identifies a compound in human saliva that greatly speeds
wound healing. This research may offer hope to people suffering from
chronic wounds related to diabetes and other disorders, as well as
traumatic injuries and burns. In addition, because the compounds can
be mass produced, they have the potential to become as common as
antibiotic creams and rubbing alcohol. .....Specifically, scientists
found that histatin, a small protein in saliva previously only
believed to kill bacteria was responsible for the healing.

-- So even before this, they believed it killed bacteria. --

After 16 hours the scientists noticed that the saliva treated "wound"
was almost completely closed. In the dish with the untreated "wound,"
a substantial part of the "wound" was still open. This proved that
human saliva contains a factor which accelerates wound closure of oral
cells. Because saliva is a complex liquid with many components, the
next step was to identify which component was responsible for wound
healing. Using various techniques the researchers split the saliva
into its individual components, tested each in their wound model, and
finally determined that histatin was responsible.

"This study not only answers the biological question of why animals
lick their wounds," said Gerald Weissmann, MD, Editor-in-Chief of The
FASEB Journal, "it also explains why wounds in the mouth, like those
of a tooth extraction, heal much faster than comparable wounds of the
skin and bone. It also directs us to begin looking at saliva as a
source for new drugs."

http://www.dogguide.net/blog/2008/02/licking-wounds/

Dog Saliva Really Does Have Antibiotic Properties!

People often ask about dogs licking their wounds, and whether that
promotes healing or gets in the way of proper healing. There’s nothing
quite so pitiful as an injured dog wearing one of those big conical
collars to prevent them from doing what they most want to do by nature
– lick their wounds.

And while it’s certainly good to keep your pet from licking freshly
stitched cuts (he might pull out stitches and end up with a bigger,
uglier scar), once the stitches have been in place for a few days and
begin to dissolve or are very soon to be removed, letting the dog go
ahead and lick may even promote healing.

There are a couple of reasons for this. First, it’s true that dog
saliva has antibiotic properties. Specifically, dog saliva contains
lysozyme, an enzyme that lyses and destroys harmful bacteria. This
means the enzyme attaches to the bacterial cell wall – particularly
gram-positive bacteria – and weakens it, leading to rupture.

The second reason is direct stimulation of the tissues and small blood
vessels surrounding the wound site. This helps to increase blood flow
and promote the growth of new capillaries, while the blood brings
white cells, platelets, growth factors and other of the body’s natural
healing agents to the wound site.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...lp-humans-heal
However the data on wound licking is not all positive. In the mouths
of mammals we also find certain anaerobic bacteria such as
Pasteurella. While not harmful in the mouth, Pasteurella can cause
serious infections when introduced deep into an open wound. There are
a number of reports of this happening, and sometimes the results have
been extremely negative, causing infections that have resulted in
amputations, and sometimes the resulting infections have been life
threatening.

Have you ever heard of such a Psteurela complication or an amputation
from wound licking?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've licked burns, but not other wounds. Maybe I should start?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"micky" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 03 Sep 2012 22:30:59 -0400, micky

Do you lick your dick?

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...6/can-dogs-hel...
However the data on wound licking is not all positive. In the mouths
of mammals we also find certain anaerobic bacteria such as
Pasteurella. While not harmful in the mouth, Pasteurella can cause
serious infections when introduced deep into an open wound. There are
a number of reports of this happening, and sometimes the results have
been extremely negative, causing infections that have resulted in
amputations, and sometimes the resulting infections have been life
threatening.

Have you ever heard of such a Psteurela complication or an amputation
from wound licking?

Tch. Dogs lick their arses. Do you?
There are bacteria everywhere. 99.99% of them are harmless.
Most are unstudied/unknown as they do not impinge on humans.

Your saliva has antseptic properties. Don't fret yourself.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 3, 7:31*pm, micky wrote:
OT *Do you lick your wounds? *Or maybe not so OT, because when do I
get half of my wounds, during home repair.

I had heard that saliva had a compound so tried. My experience
was ...depends on the injury.

If cut, the best was to wash with 99% alcohol, keep clean and dry
heals fast.

If scraped [large abrasded surface], wash with peroxide, or alcohol,
keep clean and dry heals fast.

However, if EITHER injury has any contamination from organic materials
like paint or chemicals like ?? THEN slaiva washes that off and out
much better than any water wash does. Don't know why, but seems to
THEN I wash with alcohol, keep clean and dry and heals fast.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Sep 2012 01:25:31 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

Tch. Dogs lick their arses. Do you?
There are bacteria everywhere. 99.99% of them are harmless.
Most are unstudied/unknown as they do not impinge on humans.

Your saliva has antseptic properties. Don't fret yourself.

Yeah, but you didn't answer the question.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Tch. Dogs lick their arses. Do you?
There are bacteria everywhere. 99.99% of them are harmless.
Most are unstudied/unknown as they do not impinge on humans.

Your saliva has antseptic properties. *Don't fret yourself.

Yeah, but you didn't answer the question.

What was the question? Hard to figure out among that lot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message
OT Do you lick your wounds? Or maybe not so OT, because when do I
get half of my wounds, during home repair.

Stuff snipped that we've previously read .........

I do lick my own wounds, provided I can reach them. I take coumadin because
I have an artificial heart valve. I may get a cut that will drip blood off
my fingertips before I see it. I lick the site, just to get an idea if I
need a band aid or not.

I have a terrier/poodle mix. Sweet loving dog that thinks every time i make
a lap, it's an invitation from a comfy recliner. Any time I come in, and
have a new boo boo, when she comes to sit in my lap, she will find it, and
lick it. She has a VERY keen sense about this, and she gets even the tiny
ones. I think if I was to take her for testing at a medical center, she
could sniff out cancers, as some dogs are able to. She's just so shy, tho,
she wouldn't take to the strangers. She is a shelter rescue dog, and is
getting better, but still very shy around strangers. Had a tough life,
apparently.

I think licking your own wounds, or if a dog licks them, there's something
to the belief about it helping.

Unless, of course you need stitches, then it's different.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Sep 2012 12:31:40 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

"micky" wrote in message
.. .
OT Do you lick your wounds? Or maybe not so OT, because when do I
get half of my wounds, during home repair.

Stuff snipped that we've previously read .........

I do lick my own wounds, provided I can reach them. I take coumadin because
I have an artificial heart valve. I may get a cut that will drip blood off

Good for you. I think my father would have lived a lot more years if
they had artificial or pig valves then.

[...]

Of course. I'm not a dog but by the time I had the stitches, I'd
lose the desire to lick anyhow. They've already used antiseptic and
IME it doesn't sting anymore. (I've had stitches twice, but not for
injuries, just as part of surgery. )

Steve

I should add, a) cuts sting when t he air hits them, and iirc, licking
wounds and covering them with saliva stops the stinging.

b) The warning about infections refered to "deep" wounds, and I've
only had one deep wound, about 20 years ago, from a wrought iron fence
stake, and I went to a clinic that took me immediately. It never
occurrred to me to lick that, because it needed far more than a lick.

I rarely use bandaids anymore for the small cuts I get, and often a
small cut will get red for less than half a millimeter, but within 6
or 12 hours that goes away. I don't know if licking has anything to
do with it, but I'll keep on lickin' . .
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote in
:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...can-dogs-help-
humans-heal However the data on wound licking is not all positive. In
the mouths of mammals we also find certain anaerobic bacteria such as
Pasteurella. While not harmful in the mouth, Pasteurella can cause
serious infections when introduced deep into an open wound. There are
a number of reports of this happening, and sometimes the results have
been extremely negative, causing infections that have resulted in
amputations, and sometimes the resulting infections have been life
threatening.

Have you ever heard of such a Psteurela complication or an amputation
from wound licking?

New news? Never noticed getting balls licked solves blue balls real
quick?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote

b) The warning about infections refered to "deep" wounds, and I've
only had one deep wound, about 20 years ago, from a wrought iron fence
stake, and I went to a clinic that took me immediately. It never
occurrred to me to lick that, because it needed far more than a lick.

Seen a product called MaxClot, developed by the military. A combination of
a dressing and a powder, applied immediately after wounding to really bad
wounds that are bleeding a lot. Available on line, and also saw it at
Sportsman Paradise, a local big outdoor supplier.

Expensive, but I still want some for my first aid bag. My bag is suitcase
size.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Sep 2012 16:07:59 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

"micky" wrote

b) The warning about infections refered to "deep" wounds, and I've
only had one deep wound, about 20 years ago, from a wrought iron fence
stake, and I went to a clinic that took me immediately. It never
occurrred to me to lick that, because it needed far more than a lick.

Seen a product called MaxClot, developed by the military. A combination of
a dressing and a powder, applied immediately after wounding to really bad
wounds that are bleeding a lot. Available on line, and also saw it at
Sportsman Paradise, a local big outdoor supplier.

It does sound worthwhile.

Expensive, but I still want some for my first aid bag. My bag is suitcase
size.

If I still went camping etc. I would want some too.

That deep wound above, 1/2" W x L x D, a cube, inside my elbow,
actually only bled about 3 drops in the 20 minutes before the doctor
started working on it. Counting the blood I washed into the sink.
Then I went back and took a photo, went to the street and caught a cab
(5 or 10 minutes to the clinic) and at least 5 minutes before the
doctor started working on me. I didn't know it was possible to have
such a big hole with almost no blood. I ripped a tendon a little
bit too, but maybe they don't have any blood either.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote

That deep wound above, 1/2" W x L x D, a cube, inside my elbow,
actually only bled about 3 drops in the 20 minutes before the doctor
started working on it. Counting the blood I washed into the sink.
Then I went back and took a photo, went to the street and caught a cab
(5 or 10 minutes to the clinic) and at least 5 minutes before the
doctor started working on me. I didn't know it was possible to have
such a big hole with almost no blood. I ripped a tendon a little
bit too, but maybe they don't have any blood either.

Steve

One of my first experiences with roofing panels resulted in a 2" slice on my
arm. I wrapped it in my bandana, and went to the drug store for supplies.
Standing there all bloody, musta been a sight. Trying to keep pressure on
it, get out my money, all one handed, the clerk probably wouldn't serve me
today, but that was pre-AIDS days.

I finished the job, then called my doctor to see if I could pass by on the
way home. Boy, did he chew my ass for not coming in as soon as it happened.
Two rows of stitches, six on the inside, eight on the outside. But, as you
say, not a terrific amount of blood.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 Sep 2012 09:03:07 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

"micky" wrote

[...]

That's qutite a story. I don't think I've ever had a 2" cut. Gives
me the heeby-jeebies to think about it.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote

That's qutite a story. I don't think I've ever had a 2" cut. Gives
me the heeby-jeebies to think about it.

My heart operation scar is right at 8 inches.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Sep 2012 13:05:47 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

"micky" wrote

That's qutite a story. I don't think I've ever had a 2" cut. Gives
me the heeby-jeebies to think about it.

My heart operation scar is right at 8 inches.

Well, if you count cuts when I was unconscious, I have a 3" scar where
my repeatedy dislocating shoulder was repaired, 35 yars ago, and an
L-shaped scar about 20" long from abdominal surgery 4 years ago. I
wonder if "Que es mas largo" is as good as "Quien es mas macho?" :
grin.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote

Well, if you count cuts when I was unconscious, I have a 3" scar where
my repeatedy dislocating shoulder was repaired, 35 yars ago, and an
L-shaped scar about 20" long from abdominal surgery 4 years ago. I
wonder if "Que es mas largo" is as good as "Quien es mas macho?" :
grin.

Do you get a lot of stares? When I was in Kauai, I rented mask, snorkel,
and fins. The guy asked if I was sure I wanted to do this. Then, on the
beach, I had people asking me. Some were zipper cut members, others with
relatives who were.

They did my leg veins laproscopically, so I don't have the ankle to crotch
scars there. Thank god. Woulda messed up my Speedo line.

It's nice to have some distinguishing characteristics.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 Sep 2012 07:38:17 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

"micky" wrote

Well, if you count cuts when I was unconscious, I have a 3" scar where
my repeatedy dislocating shoulder was repaired, 35 yars ago, and an
L-shaped scar about 20" long from abdominal surgery 4 years ago. I
wonder if "Que es mas largo" is as good as "Quien es mas macho?" :
grin.

Do you get a lot of stares?

When I was working in the yard with no shirt, a local child asked
about it once. She was sort of horrified by the long one. The
horizontal portion at waist level has probably disappeared (but
without a mirror I'm too fat to know for sure) but the part straight
up my belly (with a lillle detour to leave my belly button in place)
is pretty darn ugly and will probably never disappear entirely In
fact it may always be ugly.

The short one is a masterpiece. I was able to find one of the best
orthopedic surgeons around, who did only shoulders 4 a week,, and he
did all kinds of drilling in my bone, cutting my tendon from an arm
muscle, and routing it through the hole in the bone, so the tendon
would hold the arm in place, and he did it all through a 3" hole, 1"
of which is hidden when I put my arm to my side, and 2" of which are
just an elongation of the wrinkle at the armpit.

This guy did his own physical therapy too. He took 2 or 3 feet of
surgical tubing and tied it into a circle, and then gave me exercises
to do at home between appointments. He nver suggested my going to
anyone else Of course I was only 32. Maybe for old folks he did
differently.

When I was in Kauai, I rented mask, snorkel,
and fins. The guy asked if I was sure I wanted to do this.

Why not? He thought you would come open at the seam?

Then, on the
beach, I had people asking me. Some were zipper cut members, others with
relatives who were.

"Zipper cut"?

They did my leg veins laproscopically, so I don't have the ankle to crotch
scars there. Thank god. Woulda messed up my Speedo line.

Absolutely.

It's nice to have some distinguishing characteristics.

Yes.

For the first 25 years of my life, I had a dark surface-level mole in
the very middle of the back of one hand, and when I was 8 I liked the
fact that I could be identified if kidnapped. But sometime after 30,
it totally disappeared. I would think if it could last 25 years, it
would last forever. .

Now they have the belly scar, plus the other one, a dark line over an
inch long where there used to be round hole 1.5" in diameter, that for
four months was the exit of my intestines. That was the worst,
especially since no matter how strongly he said it, I wasn't sure it
would be reveresed. Now that it's reversed, it really wasn't so bad.

I thought they would sew it up when they put me back to normal, but
instead there was a hole there, an inch deep with bright red walls,
like you see on a piece of meat at the butcher shop, that I had to
stuff with new gauze every day, after I soaked it in some chemical.
Two 4" pads iirc. I don't know what was at the bottom of the hole but
I don't think it was red. And I live alone so I had to do it
myself, even when I was disgusted. .

For weeks it didn't get smaller at all, but iirc after 4 weeks it
started and only took 2 or 3 weeks to close up. I never got an
infection.

Too much information , I guess.