Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Weed identification

I have a type of grass that has green and purple shoots. But at the end,
there is a ball that looks like a ball with a bunch of very sharp barbs.
The little ball is about 1/4". Nasty boogers. Any name to them?

Southwest Utah.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/2/2012 6:18 PM, Steve B wrote:
I have a type of grass that has green and purple shoots. But at the end,
there is a ball that looks like a ball with a bunch of very sharp barbs.
The little ball is about 1/4". Nasty boogers. Any name to them?

Southwest Utah.

Steve

Could be wild onion. Broad leaf killer will work.
Post picture url in garden groups.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 9/2/2012 5:18 PM, Steve B wrote:
I have a type of grass that has green and purple shoots. But at the end,
there is a ball that looks like a ball with a bunch of very sharp barbs.
The little ball is about 1/4". Nasty boogers. Any name to them?

Southwest Utah.

sticker-type "ball" w/ multiples on a stalk or a single?

Is the purple/red confined to the base of the plant/leaf?

Might be sandburs if so...and if so, they're a grass and not broadleaf.
Atrazine works, but does on other grasses as well so if in yard
they're basically nothing for it but pulling...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/2/12 5:18 PM, Steve B wrote:
I have a type of grass that has green and purple shoots. But at the end,
there is a ball that looks like a ball with a bunch of very sharp barbs.
The little ball is about 1/4". Nasty boogers. Any name to them?

Southwest Utah.

Steve

This partial guide to Utah weeds might help:
http://tinyurl.com/8agq76g

or
http://www.uintahweeds.org/weedID.html

The pictures are pretty good.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote

Is the purple/red confined to the base of the plant/leaf?

Yeah, the base is mostly where the purple is.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/2/2012 6:18 PM, Steve B wrote:
I have a type of grass that has green and purple shoots. But at the end,
there is a ball that looks like a ball with a bunch of very sharp barbs.
The little ball is about 1/4". Nasty boogers. Any name to them?

Southwest Utah.

Steve

My guess is nutsedge. Extension service would be the best for ID and
information:

https://extension.usu.edu/weedguides/htm/

Weed killer ... ?? Arfa Daily UK diy 47 May 29th 11 08:25 PM
Weed Killer ROANIN[_2_] Home Repair 41 October 1st 10 02:19 AM
Weed Wacker MLD Home Repair 11 July 21st 06 11:01 PM
Weed control Konyoman Home Repair 10 July 4th 05 10:28 PM
What's with the Weed-B-Lethargic? Robert Barr Home Repair 11 May 10th 05 04:11 PM