Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garbage disposal and drain problem/questions.

This is for a friend of mine who just called me.

He said he replaced a kitchen sink garbage disposal for someone. He is not
a plumber. The person called and said the sink wasn't draining and the
original garbage disposal was apparently bad and was making tons of noise.
So, he put in a new one.

Before the changeover, the sink would barely drain at all -- with or without
the garbage disposal running.

Now, with the new garbage disposal installed, the sink still barely drains
at all -- except that, with the garbage disposal running, it drains
perfectly. He tried snaking out the drain line past the garbage disposal
but he didn't encounter any clogs and that didn't change anything.

He is left with a new garbage disposal in place and a sink that won't drain
unless the garbage disposal is running.

Additional info:

1) He said it's a "Badger" (maybe) garbage disposal -- I am about to Google
that and look for an installation manual; and,

2) He said something about a plastic pop-out piece (I think for the
dishwasher drain) that he popped out.

But, is there something else with a new garbage disposal that needs to be
removed or done so the sink drains properly without the garbage disposal
having to run?

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 25, 10:27*am, "TomR" wrote:
[...]

Rather strange. A few things come to mind:

Did he look at the pics that show the permissible
heights for the disposal versus the outgoing drain
line, the trap, bottom of the sink, etc?

Some chance it might have something to do with
venting. Is that sink line properly vented? Vent
line clear?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 25, 7:27*am, "TomR" wrote:
[...]

Tom-

Short Answer:

Are other drains "upstream" or downstream off the ktichen sink slow?
My best guess...vent problem. Go up on the roof & look down the vent
with a flashlight.

Long Answer:

Since the drain was slow prior to the garbage disposal change out, the
garbage disposal is not the cause of the drain problems.
IMO the new unit (working unit) is helping the drain work by "pumping"
the water down the drain under a bit of pressure hence my suggestion
that the drain has a vent issue.

How far did he snake the sink?
Did the snake have a cutter / business end of any appreciable
diameter?

The installation was a simple R & R...I doubt he made a mistake.

The "plastic pop-out piece" is supposed to be popped out if there is a
dishwasher drain line to be attached.

"is something else with a new garbage disposal that needs to be
removed or done so the sink drains properly without the garbage
disposal
having to run"

No. Drain function should be independent of disposal.

The way I see this situation;
1) check & clear vent as needed
2) if vent is clear & sink is still slow, the drain line needs to be
snaked

good luck, let us know how it works out

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/25/2012 10:27 AM, TomR wrote:
[...]

I think you answered your own question. Drain was slow with old disposer
and still slow with new disposer. What is the constant?

Disposers do encourage draining. Occasionally I may do something where
there is a quantity of water in the sink. Flipping on the disposer will
make it drain significantly faster.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 25, 2012 7:27:30 AM UTC-7, TomR wrote:
[...]

The most common kitchen sink problem in these situations is a grease buildup. The only way to determine that is to take some part of the kitchen sewer line apart and look inside it or stick a sewer camera in it. Harbor Freight sells the cameras fairly cheap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"TomR" wrote in message
[...]

Sometimes the whole setup of piping under the sink does not take into
account (or the plumber or husband didn't) gravity, and the pipes are just
level or uphill. Water and sludge DOES run better downhill. Or, there is a
buildup in the P trap or one of the lines. While they had it all apart,
didn't they run a fish, or even put a burst of water into the pipe? Lots of
"stuff" gets built up in there, particularly fat globules. Did they pull
all the P's and lines and inspect? That IS the best time to inspect, when
it's all apart like that.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 10:27:30 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

I'd be curious if the original drain from the disposal had the proper
pitch downward from the disposal. Then he just replaced what was
there.

Check that the pipe is pitched properly , and securely adjusted in
that position.

Let us know what the final outcome is.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 25, 10:56*am, George wrote:
[...]

make it drain significantly faster.- Hide quoted text -

Yes, IF there is debris in the garbage disposal, that
is true. If the disposal hasn't been run in a while then
you can have some debris in it that will reduce the flow.
Once you run it for a few seconds, the debris is gone
and then the water runs out full speed whether it's on
or off. That is very different from what the OP is reporting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 25, 1:34*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"TomR" wrote in message

[...]

There should be only one trap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 10:56:46 -0400, George
wrote:

I think you answered your own question. Drain was slow with old disposer
and still slow with new disposer. What is the constant?

The pipe is not pitched or sloped away properly from the disposal!
Until we know that, the OP did not answer his own question.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"TomR" wrote in message
This is for a friend of mine who just called me.

He said he replaced a kitchen sink garbage disposal for someone. He is
not a plumber. . . . ,
Now, with the new garbage disposal installed, the sink still barely drains
at all -- except that, with the garbage disposal running, it drains
perfectly. He tried snaking out the drain line past the garbage disposal
but he didn't encounter any clogs and that didn't change anything.

Thanks everyone for all of the responses and suggestions. They all made
sense to me.

Here's some follow-up information, but unfortunately I doubt that we will
know what the problem will turn out to be. The reason is that after I
passed on what everyone suggested, my friend decided that he was going to
call the homeowner and suggest that the owner have a regular plumber come
out and fix the problem.

When he told me more about what was going on, he added that this is a condo
unit in a condo complex. He also said that when he originally tried using
the snake, he couldn't get it to go too far in -- maybe only 5 feet or so.
He thinks that maybe the snake encountered a Tee joint or something like
that and he couldn't feed it past that. So, he thinks that a plumber with
the right type of snake on a machine will be able to clear out the line.
Or, if it is a vent issue, and since (I now know) it is a condo unit in a
condo complex, a plumber would need to try getting to the vent from the roof
or whatever.

At least he now knows that the new garbage disposal is not the source of the
problem, and he just charged them a minimal fee for putting in the new
disposal (only $40 in labor, plus the cost of the new disposal that they had
already bought). He didn't charge them for his efforts at trying to snake
out the drain line etc.

He does do other work for the owner and other members of the owner's family
who have other properties. So, if he does hear back what the outcome is
after they have a plumber come out, I'll pass that information on by posting
it here.

Thanks again. The suggestions did help, including helping my friend know
that the problem may be out of the scope of his ability, or may be something
that required a different type of snake etc. than what he has.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"TomR" wrote

Thanks again. The suggestions did help, including helping my friend know
that the problem may be out of the scope of his ability, or may be
something that required a different type of snake etc. than what he has.

For future reference, two things. Slow drainage means a blockage, and once
the pipes are open, then is the time to check everything out. Even slope.
I've seen some jobs where there is barely 1/8" penetration into a retaining
nut sleeve because of mismeasurement. It is easy to get backup in a garbage
disposal because a lot of people do not consider the uncommon place where
the pipe comes out the side, and allow for a fall to the drain pipe. And
then, there's usually limited space under a lot of counters for that to
occur. Your problem is a common one, and easily fixed. At least it wasn't
a broken cast iron pipe, or something reeeeally expensive or serious.

Steve