Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Recommendations for mold/mildew additives for deck stain???

My white cedar deck is under some very large oak trees. Even though
I've scrubbed, bleached, washed and restained this deck, by this time
every year the surface is black.

This year I'm planning on belt sanding down the entire desk to get to
the wood and applying some type of protectant be it tinted or clear
sealer. I'd like to add a fungicide to the material to hopefully
reduce some of this black stuff longer into the season.

Does anyone have any recommendations for such an additive available at
home stores? All suggestions welcomed other than cutting down the
oaks.

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

BobMCT wrote:
My white cedar deck is under some very large oak trees. Even though
I've scrubbed, bleached, washed and restained this deck, by this time
every year the surface is black.

This year I'm planning on belt sanding down the entire desk to get to
the wood and applying some type of protectant be it tinted or clear
sealer. I'd like to add a fungicide to the material to hopefully
reduce some of this black stuff longer into the season.

Does anyone have any recommendations for such an additive available at
home stores? All suggestions welcomed other than cutting down the
oaks.

Time was, there were a number of things. Many had copper - which made the
wood green - but others used metals/chemicals that imparted no color.
Unfortunately, our government has decreed that they are a no-no.

One can make a home brew borate mixture of ethylene/propylene glycol with
borax and boric acid. They are quite good but are water soluble so no good
for a unprotected wood like a deck.

Your best bet IMO is to buy a commercial product with a wood preservative
already in it. Readily available at Lowes, HD, Ace, paint stores, etc...
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=...iw=883&bih=499

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/20/2012 10:57 AM, BobMCT wrote:
My white cedar deck is under some very large oak trees. Even though
I've scrubbed, bleached, washed and restained this deck, by this time
every year the surface is black.

This year I'm planning on belt sanding down the entire desk to get to
the wood and applying some type of protectant be it tinted or clear
sealer. I'd like to add a fungicide to the material to hopefully
reduce some of this black stuff longer into the season.

Does anyone have any recommendations for such an additive available at
home stores? All suggestions welcomed other than cutting down the
oaks.

Thanks

I doubt that it will matter what you finish the wood with, as the
conditions are perfect for mold. Consider having the trees
thinned/lifted so that the area gets more sunlight.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 20, 10:57*am, BobMCT wrote:
My white cedar deck is under some very large oak trees. *Even though
I've scrubbed, bleached, washed and restained this deck, by this time
every year the surface is black.

This year I'm planning on belt sanding down the entire desk to get to
the wood and applying some type of protectant be it tinted or clear
sealer. *I'd like to add a fungicide to the material to hopefully
reduce some of this black stuff longer into the season.

Does anyone have any recommendations for such an additive available at
home stores? * All suggestions welcomed other than cutting down the
oaks.

Thanks

The deck sounds like it is being stained by the
tannin in the oak debris... Since tannin stains
everything, wood, concrete, asphalt, roof
shingles, etc there is little you can add to
any stain or paint which will prevent that...

Decide which is more important, the shade
provided by the tree canopy or having a
perfectly clean deck which is the color you
want it to be...

Posted to alt.home.repair

BobMCT wrote:
My white cedar deck is under some very large oak trees. Even though
I've scrubbed, bleached, washed and restained this deck, by this time
every year the surface is black.

This year I'm planning on belt sanding down the entire desk to get to
the wood and applying some type of protectant be it tinted or clear
sealer. I'd like to add a fungicide to the material to hopefully
reduce some of this black stuff longer into the season.

Does anyone have any recommendations for such an additive available at
home stores? All suggestions welcomed other than cutting down the
oaks.

Thanks

What is black, the wood or the stain?

Did you try oxyclean ? Add 3-4 tablespoons per gallon, spray, dry, repeat.

Greg