Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default Recommendations for mold/mildew additives for deck stain???

On Aug 20, 10:57*am, BobMCT wrote:
My white cedar deck is under some very large oak trees. *Even though
I've scrubbed, bleached, washed and restained this deck, by this time
every year the surface is black.

This year I'm planning on belt sanding down the entire desk to get to
the wood and applying some type of protectant be it tinted or clear
sealer. *I'd like to add a fungicide to the material to hopefully
reduce some of this black stuff longer into the season.

Does anyone have any recommendations for such an additive available at
home stores? * All suggestions welcomed other than cutting down the
oaks.

Thanks

The deck sounds like it is being stained by the
tannin in the oak debris... Since tannin stains
everything, wood, concrete, asphalt, roof
shingles, etc there is little you can add to
any stain or paint which will prevent that...

Decide which is more important, the shade
provided by the tree canopy or having a
perfectly clean deck which is the color you
want it to be...