Posted to alt.home.repair

Default running water but only an outhouse?

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 13:19:32 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Aug 21, 11:18Â*pm, wrote:
On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 12:42:19 -0400, micky
wrote:

If a house in town the 1910's or 20's had only an outhouse, does that
mean that it did't have running water inside the house?

Specifically, I mean Indianapolis. Â* About a mile or mile and a half
south of the center of town. Â*(Which was or at least became the poor
side of town, compared to the north side.)

My mother told me that she used an outhouse when she was little, but I
guess I assumed my grandparents still had a sink in the kitchen with
city water, rather than going out to a well, or pumping in the
kitchen.

What say ye?

There are still houses that have outhouses in the country. Â*A farm house
I lived in the 1970s had a real outhouse, but the hole was filled in
with dirt. Â*I moved it and turned it into a chicken coop.

In the early 1900s, there may have been a hand pump inside the house.
Later a windmill pump or electric one. Â*But that dont mean they always
installed a toilet. Â*Some Amish people still build outhouses too.
Actually I have a look-alike outhouse. Â*It looks like one but its a shed
for garden tools. Â*I just put a moon on the door for fun. Â*So, those
that look like outhouses are not always real.

The best outhouse I ever used didn't even have a house.

A friend spent a summer camping on his land while building a cabin.
Throughout the summer, friends and family from all over the country
came and went, spending a few days or a few weeks, camping and helping
with the build.

The land overlooked a valley. My friend build an "outhouse", but
didn't build any walls, except for short wall on the back that hid
your private oarts from view. You sat on the throne and looked out
over the valley. Users approached the "facility" from behind, so you
would see the person's head from far off, know that it was being used,
and wait your turn.

It was a beautiful view.

You could see by the head someone was on the head, eh?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 23:18:48 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

It was a beautiful view.

You could see by the head someone was on the head, eh?

Yep! ;-)

This made me laugh about ole days at work. Prison towers had toilets
on platforms so you could do your business and still observe the
walls. A higher position than normal seating.

A few minutes after a rookie would sit down, the phone would ring from
another tower or the control center wanting something important. Even
speaker boxes would start with chatter -- hurry, call me now!!

It took months for a rookie to catch on - oh the laughter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

If a house in town the 1910's or 20's had only an outhouse, does that
mean that it did't have running water inside the house?

Specifically, I mean Indianapolis. * About a mile or mile and a half
south of the center of town. *(Which was or at least became the poor
side of town, compared to the north side.)

My mother told me that she used an outhouse when she was little, but I
guess I assumed my grandparents still had a sink in the kitchen with
city water, rather than going out to a well, or pumping in the
kitchen.

What say ye?

There are still houses that have outhouses in the country. *A farm house
I lived in the 1970s had a real outhouse, but the hole was filled in
with dirt. *I moved it and turned it into a chicken coop.

In the early 1900s, there may have been a hand pump inside the house.
Later a windmill pump or electric one. *But that dont mean they always
installed a toilet. *Some Amish people still build outhouses too.
Actually I have a look-alike outhouse. *It looks like one but its a shed
for garden tools. *I just put a moon on the door for fun. *So, those
that look like outhouses are not always real.

The best outhouse I ever used didn't even have a house.

A friend spent a summer camping on his land while building a cabin.
Throughout the summer, friends and family from all over the country
came and went, spending a few days or a few weeks, camping and helping
with the build.

The land overlooked a valley. My friend build an "outhouse", but
didn't build any walls, except for short wall on the back that hid
your private oarts from view. You sat on the throne and looked out
over the valley. Users approached the "facility" from behind, so you
would see the person's head from far off, know that it was being used,
and wait your turn.

It was a beautiful view.

There's nothing wrong with that, unless the weather is bad. The
wildlife dont care

Actually, I run a farm, and my barn is a distance from the house. It
never fails, as soon as I get to the barn, I got to go. I have one of
those portable toilets in the barn for emergencies. It's a pain to
clean up after, but it sure beats trying to run to the house all bent
over and trying to hold it...... Also beats doing it outdoors without
anything to sit on, no TP, and worse in lousy weather. This is fairly
comfortable and I always keep TP nearby.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

There were also 2 outhouses with walls on the site. One near the camping
area and another near the build site about a 1/4 mile away.

Actually, I run a farm, and my barn is a distance from the house. It
never fails, as soon as I get to the barn, I got to go. I have one of
those portable toilets in the barn for emergencies. It's a pain to
clean up after, but it sure beats trying to run to the house all bent
over and trying to hold it...... Also beats doing it outdoors without
anything to sit on, no TP, and worse in lousy weather. This is fairly
comfortable and I always keep TP nearby.

Have you considered going through the trouble to build an outhouse once,
instead of cleaning the portable toilet all the time?