Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default Is RS-232 ever coming back?

A lot of the older still in service telephone equipment is wire wrap and
sometimes it can be a pain to repair. O_o

Wire wrapping was heavily used in high-reliability systems sent into
space because PC boards were prone to cracking, as well as soldering
problems. It looks like a mess, and it's a pain to debug, but it's very
reliable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 05:08:17 -0700, SMS wrote:

A lot of the older still in service telephone equipment is wire wrap and
sometimes it can be a pain to repair. O_o

Wire wrapping was heavily used in high-reliability systems sent into
space because PC boards were prone to cracking, as well as soldering
problems. It looks like a mess, and it's a pain to debug, but it's very
reliable.

I never found that WW was any problem to debug. In fact it was pretty easy.
All nodes are probable and in a pinch a wire can be removed to break feedback.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/8/2012 7:08 AM, SMS wrote:

A lot of the older still in service telephone equipment is wire wrap and
sometimes it can be a pain to repair. O_o

Wire wrapping was heavily used in high-reliability systems sent into
space because PC boards were prone to cracking, as well as soldering
problems. It looks like a mess, and it's a pain to debug, but it's very
reliable.

The square post the wire is wrapped around makes what is called a gas
tight joint which I suppose is what makes for a reliable connection.
I think the same principle works with the 66 block, 110 and similar
connections used in telecom and data wiring. ^_^

TDD