Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is RS-232 ever coming back?

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 19:05:14 -0400, Metspitzer
wrote:

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 19:02:43 -0400, "Dan Cathy"
dan@gay-chicken-weddings wrote:

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message ...
The wall wort for my router died this morning. While I was looking for a
replacement in my stash of 30+ wall worts that have piled up over the
years, I had to sift through a bunch of RS-232 related items.

I've got RS-232 cables, 25 to 9 pin adaptors, 25 pin gender changers, and
even a Smart Cable with switches and LEDs that we used at work to help us
figure out how to configure a cable to get 2 devices talking to each other.

Do you think it's safe to throw this stuff out? I know that RS-232 is still
used in some industrial environments, but it isn't going to make a come
back in the personal computer world anytime soon, is it?

Nostalgia is a strange bird.

Apparently you don't practice 5S at home? ;-)

They are never going to use them again, but I have a large pile of
them I can't throw out either. The two computers I just checked don't
even have a 25 pin port.

Most don't even have a 9 pin RS232 or a 25 pin parallel port.
The flavour of the day is USB on personal computers, with some Serial
Attached Scsi (SAS) on workstation and server apps.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I can't throw the cables out, but I did make a special drawer for
stuff I know I will never need anymore. SCSI IDE and floppy cables. I
also threw in some other cables I don't even remember what they were
used for. There was some S-video stuff and I put most of my phone
cords. The phones I use now are cordless. I have two bases and four
extensions. Both of the bases are plugged into UPSs so we can still
use them if the power goes out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 23:54:00 -0400, clare wrote:
They are never going to use them again, but I have a large pile of them
I can't throw out either. The two computers I just checked don't even
have a 25 pin port.

Most don't even have a 9 pin RS232 or a 25 pin parallel port.
The flavour of the day is USB on personal computers, with some Serial
Attached Scsi (SAS) on workstation and server apps.

My elderly IC programmer/reader still uses RS-232 for data transfer to
the host machine, and I've used RS-232 a few times for data recovery work
in recent years where it's easier to hook vintage hardware up to a more
modern PC via serial than it is to access old media directly on the PC.
I've got a handful of "modern-ish" PCs stockpiled which have serial (and
parallel) ports on them.

I've never been a big fan of USB - it's just too quirky and over-
complicated for anything that doesn't *need* a high transfer speed.

Sadly it's getting hard to find a lot of this kind of stuff these days

cheers

Jules