Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Maybe, maybe not HE detergent in an non-HE washer

Just replaced my less than 3 YO GE HE front loader with a new top
loader, also GE. The old front loader was a disaster. We virtually
washed everything twice, the 2nd time with no detergent in order to get
the cloths rinsed ... both times selecting the extra rinse. Still the
clothes didn't come clean at times and sometimes, there was still soap
left in them. I was a little concerned about getting another GE, but
the salesman did his job and convinced us to buy the GE. I also like
that GE is made in KY ... used to be made across the street from my
boyhood home in Cicero, IL. Anyway, a few years ago you could easily
get non HE detergent. Now, it is almost all marked HE. The recommended
amounts are now lower than the old non HE stuff was. Now, if you put
this small amount of detergent in a washer that uses, lets say 6 times
the amount of water (that's a guess), then the detergent will be 6 times
or more diluted. So, do you use 6 times as much? At 6 times the cost?
Ah that's what makes the high efficiency once cheaper to run (sorry,
for the sarcasm). Everywhere you look (google), they say to just use
the HE stuff in the non HE machines. However, nobody addresses the
dilution question. Any ideas here? I think I will call GE and ask them
also.