Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GE Front Loading Washer - Detergent still present after cycle

After a wash cycle, I still have soap in the washer. I have to run several
rinses or a couple washs with no detergent to get rid of it. I am using
extremely little detergent. Much less then what is called for.

So far I checked the screens in the hose lines to see if they were clogged.
They were clean. I ran some powdered Cascade thru the washer. I was told
this trick removes the detergent build-up inside. It didn't help. The
service man want about $80 just to look at it.

Has anyone ever had this problem or does anyone know what is actually
causing this so I can attempt to fix it myself?

--
Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 19:17:07 -0500, "Saucer Man"
wrote:

After a wash cycle, I still have soap in the washer. I have to run several
rinses or a couple washs with no detergent to get rid of it. I am using
extremely little detergent. Much less then what is called for.

So far I checked the screens in the hose lines to see if they were clogged.
They were clean. I ran some powdered Cascade thru the washer. I was told
this trick removes the detergent build-up inside. It didn't help. The
service man want about $80 just to look at it.

Has anyone ever had this problem or does anyone know what is actually
causing this so I can attempt to fix it myself?

Stop using powder products, best I can tell.

Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Saucer Man" wrote:

After a wash cycle, I still have soap in the washer. I have to run several
rinses or a couple washs with no detergent to get rid of it. I am using
extremely little detergent. Much less then what is called for.

Front loader or recent top loader? You almost certainly have not been using a
low sudsing detergent (branded these days with the "he" logo or the words "high
efficiency"). Using less of a standard detergent is _not_ a good solution. It
won't clear the washer (as you discovered) and it does not remove the soil from
clothing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Danny wrote:

"Ultra" detergents which are supposed to be almost the same
(low sudsing).

Not that I've seen. The ultra detergents just have less water in them making
them more concentrated. Being ultra does not make them low sudsing, which is
what you need for the newer washers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Danny" wrote in message
46.128...
Rick Blaine wrote in
:

Danny wrote:

"Ultra" detergents which are supposed to be almost the same
(low sudsing).

Not that I've seen. The ultra detergents just have less water in them
making them more concentrated. Being ultra does not make them low
sudsing, which is what you need for the newer washers.

Rick,
I think you have a point. For a while now, before you had pointed this
out, I had wondered if I saw some bad information on the internet. I
had read some postings that "Ultra" was supposed to be low sudsing, but
actual use does not seem to bear this out......

Read the labels for the "ultra" products would've conveyed the correct
information. I wonder why you'd consult the internet rather than read the
labels.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 8:21 pm, Danny wrote:
orignal poster is using Ultra or Regular detergents and I can tell you
that even using miniscule amounts of detergent can result in too much
suds.

Now now, I don't think they are that sensitive. When I first got my FL
washer, I used detergent bought for my old TL washer on collars and
stained areas. I sprayed it on, but did that for almost every item (I
wanted to finish the regular detergent). I suppose my washer might
have sudsing and level control.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Danny wrote:

On mine, if I happen to have an emergency and have to throw in say, a
couple of shirts that I might need to go somewhere, what seems to me to
be about like about 1/2 teaspoon might make it pretty sudsy and do ok,
or possibly foam over

The presence of suds in modern laundry detergent is a marketing device and not
an indication of how clean your clothes are getting. Putting a half teaspoon of
detergent in a washer is not doing much more than washing in plain water.

In fact, that was the basis of those magic "laundry balls" someone was selling a
few years ago. They were taking advantage of the residual detergent left in the
clothing after a standard washer cycle and made people believe they were getting
some magical cleaning action.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Rick Blaine wrote:

In fact, that was the basis of those magic "laundry balls" someone was selling a
few years ago. They were taking advantage of the residual detergent left in the
clothing after a standard washer cycle and made people believe they were getting
some magical cleaning action.

Gak! A quick Google search shows that these things are still being marketed.
Barnum _was_ right....
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rick Blaine" wrote in message
Rick Blaine wrote:

In fact, that was the basis of those magic "laundry balls" someone was
selling a
few years ago. They were taking advantage of the residual detergent left
in the
clothing after a standard washer cycle and made people believe they were
getting
some magical cleaning action.

Gak! A quick Google search shows that these things are still being
marketed.
Barnum _was_ right....

So are Beanie Babies, which were going to become INSTANT COLLECTOR'S
ITEMS!!!

Oh boy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Danny wrote:

If I put more in and make it clean well, it foams over and out of the
machine, which would be a good indication of what I said before, that I
need to switch to "HE", which is what I should have been using before,
correct?

Correct!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sorry for not mentioning this in the OP but I am using HE detergent. I am
using TIDE HE 2x Concentrate Liquid. I only put enough detergent in to
cover the plastic on the bottom of the detergent tray. Probably about 1/16"
deep.

--
Thanks.

"Saucer Man" wrote:

After a wash cycle, I still have soap in the washer. I have to run
several
rinses or a couple washs with no detergent to get rid of it. I am using
extremely little detergent. Much less then what is called for.

Front loader or recent top loader? You almost certainly have not been
using a
low sudsing detergent (branded these days with the "he" logo or the words
"high
efficiency"). Using less of a standard detergent is _not_ a good solution.
It
won't clear the washer (as you discovered) and it does not remove the soil
from
clothing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Saucer Man" wrote in message
. ..
Sorry for not mentioning this in the OP but I am using HE detergent. I am
using TIDE HE 2x Concentrate Liquid. I only put enough detergent in to
cover the plastic on the bottom of the detergent tray. Probably about
1/16" deep.

--
Thanks.

Got a water softener?