Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Things to do before leaving for vacation

Well, first pick a destination...

Oops! Things to do to your HOME before leaving for vacation, from Popular
Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...ick=pp#slide-7

But I have a question: If I leave my Houston home in August, should I still
put anti-freeze in the toilet?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 4 Aug 2012 14:52:56 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

But I have a question: If I leave my Houston home in August, should I still
put anti-freeze in the toilet?

Giggle.

One observant commenter asked:

"How do you use a soaker hose if you already turned your water main?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 4 Aug 2012 14:52:56 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

Well, first pick a destination...

Oops! Things to do to your HOME before leaving for vacation, from Popular
Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...ick=pp#slide-7

But I have a question: If I leave my Houston home in August, should I still
put anti-freeze in the toilet?

Did you turn the AC down?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Well, first pick a destination...

Oops! Things to do to your HOME before leaving for vacation, from Popular
Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...ick=pp#slide-7

But I have a question: If I leave my Houston home in August, should I still
put anti-freeze in the toilet?

When are you returning? I live near Houston and it's rarely done.
Yes, I've seen it in some homes, just not many.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Well, first pick a destination...

Oops! Things to do to your HOME before leaving for vacation, from
Popular Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...ick=pp#slide-7

But I have a question: If I leave my Houston home in August, should
I still put anti-freeze in the toilet?

Did you turn the AC down?

Frankly, it's been so long since anyone has fiddled with the a/c, I'm not
sure where the thermostat is...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oops! Things to do to your HOME before leaving for vacation, from
Popular Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...ick=pp#slide-7

But I have a question: If I leave my Houston home in August, should
I still put anti-freeze in the toilet?

I just thought of something. The last thing I do before leaving is to
take a leak. Flushing the toilet would get rid of the anti-freezer.

Should I put the antifreeze in and then just pee behind the garage?
That would be OK in the summer, but chilly in the winter.

So many things to figure out . . .
Posted to alt.home.repair

Somewhat related:

A girl friend of mine called to say her washing machine drainage had shot back into the house. I went to check the problem. Her house is on pillars and the drain's pee trap was under the house... the water in it had frozen, blocking the drainage. When her washing machine tried to drain, the only place for the water to go was back into the house.

Melting the frozen water, with a hair dryer, under the house was the solution.... until the next time. Location: Lafayette, LA

Sonny
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Well, first pick a destination...

Oops! Things to do to your HOME before leaving for vacation, from Popular
Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...ick=pp#slide-7

But I have a question: If I leave my Houston home in August, should I still
put anti-freeze in the toilet?

When are you returning? I live near Houston and it's rarely done.
Yes, I've seen it in some homes, just not many.

That's a good point. I've had toilet traps dry out and let sewer gasses into
the room. Antifreeze might help avoid that. I believe propylene glycol has a
pretty low vapor pressure, anyway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 12:34:30 -0400, "
wrote:

That's a good point. I've had toilet traps dry out and let sewer gasses into
the room. Antifreeze might help avoid that. I believe propylene glycol has a
pretty low vapor pressure, anyway.

We have an unused rest room at work and it would dry up every couple
of months. I poured coking oil in it and it has been that way for
about a year now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 5 Aug 2012 20:49:27 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

wrote:

That's a good point. I've had toilet traps dry out and let sewer
gasses into the room. Antifreeze might help avoid that. I believe
propylene glycol has a pretty low vapor pressure, anyway.

But you'd eventually flush the anti-freeze down the sanitary sewer line!

So?

Ethylene glycol and cobolthorium-G have been known to cause diseases with no
names in Antarctic krill.

Didn't your mother tell you not to drink from the toilet?

And what about the children?

What about them? The smart ones don't drink from the toilet. Those not so
smart won't be any worse than Brits or Canuckistanis.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

That's a good point. I've had toilet traps dry out and let sewer gasses into
the room. Antifreeze might help avoid that. I believe propylene glycol has a
pretty low vapor pressure, anyway.

We have an unused rest room at work and it would dry up every couple
of months. I poured coking oil in it and it has been that way for
about a year now.

Doesn't it go rancid?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

wrote:

That's a good point. I've had toilet traps dry out and let sewer
gasses into the room. Antifreeze might help avoid that. I believe
propylene glycol has a pretty low vapor pressure, anyway.

We have an unused rest room at work and it would dry up every couple
of months. I poured coking oil in it and it has been that way for
about a year now.

The waterless urinals work because they have some kind of oil in the trap.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

It's a "p-trap" not a "pee trap." But coming in a response to ****ing behind the garage, I can't really be sure...

LOL. I stand corrected. I really didn't know the proper term was "P" only.... just never paid attention. I just use the sound term and spell the sound.

Sonny

Posted to alt.home.repair

Naah, just **** in the sink. Smaller drain trap, and requires less
antifreeze to reprotect it.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...ick=pp#slide-7

I just thought of something. The last thing I do before leaving is to
take a leak. Flushing the toilet would get rid of the anti-freezer.

Should I put the antifreeze in and then just pee behind the garage?
That would be OK in the summer, but chilly in the winter.

So many things to figure out . . .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/4/2012 3:52 PM, HeyBub wrote:
Well, first pick a destination...

Oops! Things to do to your HOME before leaving for vacation, from Popular
Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...ick=pp#slide-7

But I have a question: If I leave my Houston home in August, should I still
put anti-freeze in the toilet?

I see nothing about having mail held, and garbage collection and news
papers stopped or lawn maintenance. Lack of doing these things lets the
thieves know you are away. For extended stay you need to have someone
check your home. Heard of a guy whose furnace malfunctioned and HVAC
guy said it was the dirtiest house he had ever seen due to the soot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/4/2012 12:52 PM, HeyBub wrote:
Well, first pick a destination...

Oops! Things to do to your HOME before leaving for vacation, from Popular
Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...ick=pp#slide-7

But I have a question: If I leave my Houston home in August, should I still
put anti-freeze in the toilet?

Don't forget to kiss the wife and kids goodbye.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 6, 2012 7:35:43 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
On 8/4/2012 3:52 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Well, first pick a destination...

Oops! Things to do to your HOME before leaving for vacation, from Popular

Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...ick=pp#slide-7

But I have a question: If I leave my Houston home in August, should I still

put anti-freeze in the toilet?

I see nothing about having mail held, and garbage collection and news

papers stopped or lawn maintenance. Lack of doing these things lets the

thieves know you are away. For extended stay you need to have someone

check your home. Heard of a guy whose furnace malfunctioned and HVAC

guy said it was the dirtiest house he had ever seen due to the soot.

Not to mention telling your neighbors you are going away. Worked with someone several years ago whose house was emptied while they were away. The thieves put a Ryder truck in the driveway for two days, day three they came back and broke in and took everything: furniture, jewelry, clothing, the couples' classic (and very expensive) oboes and bassoons, the food in the 'fridge, even the cars in the driveway (they left spare keys on a hook in the kitchen). The only thing they left was an empty frozen pizza box and the cookie sheet they'd heated the pizza on.

The neighbors never suspected a thing—they told my coworker later "Oh, we thought maybe you were moving to a smaller house since your kids had graduated from school…"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 6, 2012 9:09:32 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 19:05:34 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 6 Aug 2012 17:23:52 -0500, "HeyBub"

wrote:

krw wrote:

On Sun, 5 Aug 2012 20:49:27 -0500, "HeyBub"

No, no, you misunderstand!

If you burn hydrogen in an oxygen atmosphere (through a process I call

combustion), you can make FRESH water. Virtually all other water on the

planet is "used" water.

Right now, your bourbon and branch water may have once been polluted by

anti-freeze! And the little children's milk? I shudder to think.

It's a good thing we get so much ""fresh" water from the distillation

process we call rain.

Of course if you are down river, your water has been in more than one

toilet. New Orleans is getting the reprocessed sewage from 100

upstream cities.

Ew! They're drinking St. Louis' "bath" water. That's bad!

Better than drinking (or smoking, for that matter) St. Louis bath salts, eh?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

krw wrote:

On Sun, 5 Aug 2012 20:49:27 -0500, "HeyBub"

No, no, you misunderstand!

If you burn hydrogen in an oxygen atmosphere (through a process I call

combustion), you can make FRESH water. Virtually all other water on the

planet is "used" water.

Right now, your bourbon and branch water may have once been polluted by

anti-freeze! And the little children's milk? I shudder to think.

It's a good thing we get so much ""fresh" water from the distillation

process we call rain.

Of course if you are down river, your water has been in more than one

toilet. New Orleans is getting the reprocessed sewage from 100

upstream cities.

Ew! They're drinking St. Louis' "bath" water. That's bad!

Better than drinking (or smoking, for that matter) St. Louis bath salts, eh?

Ever been to St. Louis?

Your vacation eterica Metalworking 15 February 9th 08 08:09 PM
Your vacation eterica Woodworking 0 February 6th 08 07:49 PM
Your vacation eterica UK diy 0 February 6th 08 07:48 PM
Leaving on vacation david Home Ownership 1 October 19th 05 09:14 PM
Vacation Barry N. Turner Woodturning 8 October 5th 04 05:51 PM