Posted to alt.home.repair

Default shoe repair

A little off topic but . . . I have repaired loose soles on shoes before with Shoe Goo, great stuff. My question is, when the heels or soles wear out (talking about leather casual shoes with rubber soles) can you get replacement heels and/or soles, and glue them on with Shoe Goo or other glue? Has anyone done this? And if so where did you get the replacement parts? -- H
Posted to alt.home.repair

"heathcliff" wrote in message
A little off topic but . . . I have repaired loose soles on shoes before
with Shoe Goo, great stuff. My question is, when the heels or soles wear
out (talking about leather casual shoes with rubber soles) can you get
replacement heels and/or soles, and glue them on with Shoe Goo or other
glue? Has anyone done this? And if so where did you get the replacement
parts? -- H

I used to wear Red Wing Wellingtons for welding. When they needed soles, or
repairs, I just took them to the shoe shop. There are some things that one
can use on an amateur basis that might do well, but I always took mine to a
pro. They would put new soles on them, and they lasted another year. The
shop would actually sew on the soles, doing a much better job than I could
have done with any glue. My point is that if they are good shoes, and you
want to save them, take them to a shoe repair shop, and have them done
right.

If they are just cheapies, I'm sure you will get some good answers here. I
always liked good old contact cement for such things. Let it get tacky for
fifteen minutes, and be sure when you stick the two parts together, they are
right, cuz you won't get a second chance the way that stuff sticks. That's
the difference between a DIY and a pro. Plus, of course, the cost. And how
long the repairs last.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-08-02, Steve B wrote:

I used to wear Red Wing Wellingtons for welding. When they needed soles, or
repairs, I just took them to the shoe shop.

Weren't they excellent!?

I wore my pair for almost 20 yrs. Finally took 'em to RW and asked
them to repair the insoles. The told me to get lost. End of an era.

If you want true leather Wellingtons, might I suggest this company:

http://www.dehner.com/customshoes_wellington.html

They've been making motorcycle patrolman boots forever. Expensive, I
know. But try and find custom shoes/boots any cheaper.

nb

--
"Do you recognize me? No!
....cuz I don't work here"
Posted to alt.home.repair

Should you go the glueing route, I don't know how well rubber soles will adhere to the leather upper portion, but the glue of choice in the leather industry is Barge Cement, specific for leather.

Sonny

Shoe repair paste D. T. Green UK diy 20 August 1st 12 07:33 PM
shoe repair Frank[_5_] Home Repair 8 June 13th 08 03:53 AM
Shoe repair glue advice please. John Fryatt UK diy 8 May 26th 05 10:54 PM