Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hot Glue Melted in Sunshine in Automobile

This is a first for me.

I repaired the hinge area of the pushbutton on my wife's garage door
opener (about the size of a pack of cigarettes) as the plastic
pushbutton hinge had cracked off. I used a new piece of plastic and
hot glue. My wife just came in from outside and said she could not
get the garage door to come down as she was leaving. I told her I
would check. When I pushed on the button, the indicator light did not
come on, and the button did not seem to even move. After some time
with a knife, I was able to get the cover off, and discovered that the
hot glue from the hinge repair had melted and run all over the inside
of the opener, including along the edges of the microswitch that
operated the opener. That esplained the problem.

The car was outside yesterday afternoon in the sunny area of our
dirveway and I guess things were hotter than the glue melting
temperature. A few minutes with a knife and a soldering iron (to melt
some of the glue the knife did not reach) removed enough of the glue
to make it possible to repair again, this time using fast-setting
epoxy that I am pretty sure will not soften in the heat. Whatever
glue is left should not be enough to cause any further complications,
and hopefully the epoxy will hold next winter when temps can get down
to zero if we leave the car out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 13:10:05 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

[...]

This is no surprise. Hot glue WILL melt in hot sun. It's not intended
for such uses. It's mostly just for crafts that are not exposed to
weather. Personally I find little use for it, but craft persons use it
a lot. Epoxy is a better choice. They do make epoxy specifically for
plastic. I've used it and was satisfied. Regular epoxy may not work
well on many plastics.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Sometimes I use it to hold something together for applying something good.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 01:22:23 +0000 (UTC), gregz

wrote:

[...]

I've seen a leather worker use it to hold leather together before sewing
the leather. I suppose the same could be done to sew fabric too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/23/2012 4:10 PM, hr(bob) wrote:
[...]

Reason #2 that we moved from the area, Bob.

Posted to alt.home.repair

gregz wrote in

rg:

wrote:

[...]

Liquid Nails construction adhesive works even on some plastics.
it won't melt in the sun,either!

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik