Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - comfortable work shoes

The work shoes I got at Payless Shoes lasted less than a year. The first
couple weeks, they were comfortable, and like walking on thickly padded high
quality carpet. Now, they are uncomfortable to wear. $60 for a pair of
shoes, and they were OK for about eight months.

My feet are complaining every day, and during the day too.

Where to get a comfortable pair of working man's shoes? That lasts more than
8 months?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 18, 8:18*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Where to get a comfortable pair of working man's shoes? That lasts more than
8 months?

I walk with Meindl. Picked em up at Cabela's. I need comfort and they
fit the bill. They are walking shoes. I don't think they would hold up
at a construction site.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 08:18:02 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

The work shoes I got at Payless Shoes lasted less than a year. The first
couple weeks, they were comfortable, and like walking on thickly padded high
quality carpet. Now, they are uncomfortable to wear. $60 for a pair of
shoes, and they were OK for about eight months.

You expect anything from Payless to last more than a week?

My feet are complaining every day, and during the day too.

Where to get a comfortable pair of working man's shoes? That lasts more than
8 months?

For a working shoe, I'd probably buy a lightweight hiking boot. I wore them
in an office environment for years. It's almost impossible to find shoes that
fit my feet and hiking boots were the closest I could find. Expect to pay
upwards of $150, or even more, for decent ones, though. I wear New Balance
shoes now, since I can sometimes find them to fit (6E).
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

Where to get a comfortable pair of working man's shoes? That lasts more
than
8 months?

The Lotus Veldtschoen I bought in England in 1976 were built to last
and still give good service (resoled 3 or 4 times.) The Dexter brogues
(US made, approx. 1986) are almost as comfortable and almost as good.
Prices approx. $100 and $25 at those dates so far as I remember.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
For a working shoe, I'd probably buy a lightweight hiking boot. I wore
them
in an office environment for years. It's almost impossible to find shoes
that
fit my feet and hiking boots were the closest I could find. Expect to
pay
upwards of $150, or even more, for decent ones, though. I wear New
Balance
shoes now, since I can sometimes find them to fit (6E).

I agree with the lightweight hiking boot. We have to wear work boots, I
chose a lightweight Danner, and replace them about every year. Not cheap,
but you can't put a price on your feet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:kQxNr.708526
:

The work shoes I got at Payless Shoes lasted less than a year.

[snip]

Next time you want to post the same thing in two or more groups, cross-post it instead of multi-
posting. (If you don't understand the difference, Google it.)

I answered you in the other group.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-07-18, Gomba wrote:

but you can't put a price on your feet.

Yep. My late FIL usta say, spare no expense on your shoes and your
bed. It's where you spend 2/3rds of your life.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Where to get a comfortable pair of working man's shoes? That lasts more than
8 months?

Is there an SAS location near you? Their products have a good rep for
durability and comfort. They're on the pricey side, but not jawdroppingly so.

Art
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/18/2012 8:18 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
The work shoes I got at Payless Shoes lasted less than a year. The first
couple weeks, they were comfortable, and like walking on thickly padded high
quality carpet. Now, they are uncomfortable to wear. $60 for a pair of
shoes, and they were OK for about eight months.

My feet are complaining every day, and during the day too.

Where to get a comfortable pair of working man's shoes? That lasts more than
8 months?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

I'd say you should have at least 2 pair of shoes and wear them
alternately. Particularly if leather, they need to dry out and will
last longer. I only wear running shoes, New Balance, etc and buy on
sale seldom paying more than $40. I see tradesman like plumbers in them
too. Back when I worked in the lab, steel toes were mandatory and we
got free shoes. Today, these are the only dress shoes I still have but
are tough to wear all day.

For more ankle support, when I hunt early season, I have a pair of
Cabelas hiking shoes which are also water proof.

SAS are all my wife wears casually but they are ~$100/pair.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/18/2012 8:18 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
The work shoes I got at Payless Shoes lasted less than a year. The first
couple weeks, they were comfortable, and like walking on thickly padded high
quality carpet. Now, they are uncomfortable to wear. $60 for a pair of
shoes, and they were OK for about eight months.

My feet are complaining every day, and during the day too.

Where to get a comfortable pair of working man's shoes? That lasts more than
8 months?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Join the Air Force. Best shoes I ever had. When I left, I bought 4 pairs
of shoes. They lasted for years. Chuck B
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm glad to hear that you found a brand that works for you. Now days,
consumer goods tend to be total junk.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Thomas" wrote in message

I walk with Meindl. Picked em up at Cabela's. I need comfort and they
fit the bill. They are walking shoes. I don't think they would hold up
at a construction site.

Posted to alt.home.repair

What's the advantage of cross posting?

I can add news groups to my reply, easy enough.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..

Next time you want to post the same thing in two or more groups, cross-post
it instead of multi-
posting. (If you don't understand the difference, Google it.)

I answered you in the other group.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Would Scandanavian Air Service have shoes?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Arthur Shapiro" wrote in message

Is there an SAS location near you? Their products have a good rep for
durability and comfort. They're on the pricey side, but not jawdroppingly
so.

Art

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:xqFNr.183795
:

What's the advantage of cross posting?

1. You need to post the article only once, instead of multiple times.

2. Replies to cross-posted articles are, by default, also cross-posted to the same groups
as the original article. A reply to a multi-posted article is posted only to the one group in
which the original post appeared and the reply was made -- which is why you can't see my
post recommending shoes for you in *this* group, and neither can anyone else. If you had
cross-posted, you'd be able to see it here.

3. It eliminates the useless downloading of identical articles. If I read a cross-posted article
in one group, my newsreader knows that it's "read" for *all* groups in the cross-post, and
won't download it or display it to me when I read the other groups. That's how I knew you
had multi-posted instead of cross-posted: when I saw the same article here.

4. Since all replies to a cross-post are visible to anyone reading *any* of the groups in the
cross-post, you're more likely to get useful replies to a question if you cross-post it.

I can add news groups to my reply, easy enough.

You *should* have added them to the original post.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/18/2012 5:05 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
"Stormin wrote in news:xqFNr.183795
:

What's the advantage of cross posting?

Hell, if he can't even bother to quit top-posting what makes you think
you can teach him anything else about netiquette (or that he would deign
to be considerate of other readers)????

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 22:05:02 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

[...]

He could study the RFC(s). Those are written by smart people.

.... "In computer network engineering, a Request for Comments (RFC) is
a memorandum published by the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF)
describing methods, behaviors, research, or innovations applicable to
the working of the Internet and Internet-connected systems"

I've even pointed out his top posting (and many others here). I got
"plonked" by him. He does not like ADVICE or opinions.

Not a single RFC was written Al Gore.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 11:27:56 -0400, "Gomba" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
For a working shoe, I'd probably buy a lightweight hiking boot. I wore
them
in an office environment for years. It's almost impossible to find shoes
that
fit my feet and hiking boots were the closest I could find. Expect to
pay
upwards of $150, or even more, for decent ones, though. I wear New
Balance
shoes now, since I can sometimes find them to fit (6E).

I agree with the lightweight hiking boot. We have to wear work boots, I
chose a lightweight Danner, and replace them about every year. Not cheap,
but you can't put a price on your feet.

I wore Vasques for years, when I couldn't find shoes that fit. I still have a
few pair but they're really too hot for me, down here. They were great when
we lived in VT.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 17:13:40 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 7/18/2012 5:05 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
"Stormin wrote in news:xqFNr.183795
:

What's the advantage of cross posting?

Hell, if he can't even bother to quit top-posting what makes you think
you can teach him anything else about netiquette (or that he would deign
to be considerate of other readers)????

Be prepared to be plonked.... by this guy. He plonked me in public
and I didn't even have a camera to take a picture of a plonkasauraus.

The RFC's would give him what he needs to know.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/18/2012 6:01 PM, Oren wrote:

Be prepared to be plonked....

I've had him mostly blacklisted for quite a while--I only see responses,
not his postings routinely...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

The work shoes I got at Payless Shoes lasted less than a year. The first
couple weeks, they were comfortable, and like walking on thickly padded high
quality carpet. Now, they are uncomfortable to wear. $60 for a pair of
shoes, and they were OK for about eight months.

My feet are complaining every day, and during the day too.

Where to get a comfortable pair of working man's shoes? That lasts more than
8 months?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

I learned in the army to have at least two or three pairs of boots and
rotate them daily.

Have not had a problem with my feet since.

QUEST

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

The work shoes I got at Payless Shoes lasted less than a year. The first
couple weeks, they were comfortable, and like walking on thickly padded
high
quality carpet. Now, they are uncomfortable to wear. $60 for a pair of
shoes, and they were OK for about eight months.

My feet are complaining every day, and during the day too.

Where to get a comfortable pair of working man's shoes? That lasts more
than
8 months?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

I like the Timberline brand (Available at Tractor Supply and Sears, I
think).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-07-18, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

That's gonna be pricey!

What is yer life worth?

http://www.dehner.com/products.html

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-07-19, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:

I'm still using a pair of SAS shoes that are about 15 years old. Absolutely no
maintenance other than shoestrings

I finally saw pair SAS shoes. Cheap crap.

I'd also consider redwings

I quit buying their cheap crap 20 yrs ago.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , notbob

On 2012-07-19, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:

I'm still using a pair of SAS shoes that are about 15 years old. Absolutely
no
maintenance other than shoestrings

I finally saw pair SAS shoes. Cheap crap.

I've seen many things and some of them did turn out to be cheap crap, but in
this case you couldn't be more wrong

I'd also consider redwings

I quit buying their cheap crap 20 yrs ago.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do they have oxfords? I've just seen work boots.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Bill" wrote in message

I like the Timberline brand (Available at Tractor Supply and Sears, I
think).

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote in :

On 7/18/2012 5:05 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
"Stormin wrote in news:xqFNr.183795
:

What's the advantage of cross posting?

Hell, if he can't even bother to quit top-posting what makes you think
you can teach him anything else about netiquette (or that he would deign
to be considerate of other readers)????

I don't imagine that I can teach him anything at all about netiquette, or consideration for others.
That's why I specifically pointed out reasons why it benefits *him* to cross-post, instead of
multi-post, the next time he has questions: I hope that self-interest will accomplish what an
appeal to good manners will not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Do they have oxfords? I've just seen work boots.

Sorry, I've got their steel-toe work boots. I thought you were
looking for something rugged like that.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Bill" wrote in message

I like the Timberline brand (Available at Tractor Supply and Sears, I
think).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/18/2012 8:18 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
The work shoes I got at Payless Shoes lasted less than a year. The first
couple weeks, they were comfortable, and like walking on thickly padded high
quality carpet. Now, they are uncomfortable to wear. $60 for a pair of
shoes, and they were OK for about eight months.

My feet are complaining every day, and during the day too.

Where to get a comfortable pair of working man's shoes? That lasts more than
8 months?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org