Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - work shoes that are comfortable, and that last

The work shoes I got at Payless Shoes lasted less than a year. The first
couple weeks, they were comfortable, and like walking on thickly padded high
quality carpet. Now, they are uncomfortable to wear. $60 for a pair of
shoes, and they were OK for about eight months.

My feet are complaining every day, and during the day too.

Where to get a comfortable pair of working man's shoes? That lasts more than
8 months?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 08:18:56 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

The work shoes I got at Payless Shoes lasted less than a year. The first
couple weeks, they were comfortable, and like walking on thickly padded high
quality carpet. Now, they are uncomfortable to wear. $60 for a pair of
shoes, and they were OK for about eight months.

My feet are complaining every day, and during the day too.

Where to get a comfortable pair of working man's shoes? That lasts more than
8 months?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Check out "Foot Solutions". I am a diabetic with foot problems. They
are my solution.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/18/2012 8:18 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
The work shoes I got at Payless Shoes lasted less than a year. The first
couple weeks, they were comfortable, and like walking on thickly padded high
quality carpet. Now, they are uncomfortable to wear. $60 for a pair of
shoes, and they were OK for about eight months.

My feet are complaining every day, and during the day too.

Where to get a comfortable pair of working man's shoes? That lasts more than
8 months?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

I used to purchase the cheap boots from sears/walmart and I was in the
same boat as you. Then I went to RedWing and haven't strayed away. I've
had boots last me 2 years before having to get them re-soled or just
getting a new pair. $150 - $175 is what I've spent and it was worth
every penny.

www.redwingshoes.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You know, I had a look for local stores. There's a store in the same strip
mall, where I was yesterday, at Harbor Freight.

Thanks. I'll have a look, maybe later today.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"tnik" wrote in message

I used to purchase the cheap boots from sears/walmart and I was in the
same boat as you. Then I went to RedWing and haven't strayed away. I've
had boots last me 2 years before having to get them re-soled or just
getting a new pair. $150 - $175 is what I've spent and it was worth
every penny.

www.redwingshoes.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Are they sturdy, for a lot of walking?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

Check out "Foot Solutions". I am a diabetic with foot problems. They
are my solution.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:4VxNr.1019393
:

Where to get a comfortable pair of working man's shoes? That lasts more than
8 months?

Try a pair of combat boots -- most comfortable shoes I've *ever* worn. Durable? Oh yeah.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Several years back I was in the same boat. In fact my feet would hurt when I
got out of bed.
I decided that it was the Chinese shoes I had been wearing. I think the
Chinese must have different bones in their feet.
I started looking for American made boots and found Thorogood.
I haven't looked back since.

I order the size I remembered my feet to be (as opposed to the random sizes
of walmart boots) and they have always fit like a glove.
Shop around on line.
Here is a link to the manufacturer.
http://www.weinbrennerusa.com/dspNav...ID=1&catid=102

Paul K. Dickman

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
m...
The work shoes I got at Payless Shoes lasted less than a year. The first
couple weeks, they were comfortable, and like walking on thickly padded
high
quality carpet. Now, they are uncomfortable to wear. $60 for a pair of
shoes, and they were OK for about eight months.

My feet are complaining every day, and during the day too.

Where to get a comfortable pair of working man's shoes? That lasts more
than
8 months?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug Miller wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:4VxNr.1019393
:

Where to get a comfortable pair of working man's shoes? That lasts more than
8 months?

Try a pair of combat boots -- most comfortable shoes I've *ever* worn. Durable? Oh yeah.

They were my favorites, as well. I wore the two pair for over five
years after I was discharged from active duty before they wore out.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 08:18:56 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The work shoes I got at Payless Shoes lasted less than a year. The first
couple weeks, they were comfortable, and like walking on thickly padded
high quality carpet. Now, they are uncomfortable to wear. $60 for a
pair of shoes, and they were OK for about eight months.

My feet are complaining every day, and during the day too.

Where to get a comfortable pair of working man's shoes? That lasts more
than 8 months?

I would criticize you for expecting a $60 pair of work shoes to last more
than a year, but I bought a pair of work boots at JC Penny over 25 years
ago, and they've only just now given up the ghost.

They weren't the most comfortable boots in the world, and I didn't wear
them daily -- but I had well over a year's worth of continuous wear on
them when I finally ground the toe-leather down to the steel, and so far
the shoe goo is holding up on my $5 repair.

I think I'll replace them with RedWings.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Wed, 18 Jul 2012
11:55:19 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Doug Miller wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:4VxNr.1019393
:

Where to get a comfortable pair of working man's shoes? That lasts more than
8 months?

Try a pair of combat boots -- most comfortable shoes I've *ever* worn. Durable? Oh yeah.

They were my favorites, as well. I wore the two pair for over five
years after I was discharged from active duty before they wore out.

Wolverines form Sears. Get two pair, alternate even odd days.
Replace the insoles with what works for you. Be prepared to reglue
the sole after about five years. I recommend Bag Cement - industrial
strength rubber cement.
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

The work shoes I got at Payless Shoes lasted less than a year. The first
couple weeks, they were comfortable, and like walking on thickly padded high
quality carpet. Now, they are uncomfortable to wear. $60 for a pair of
shoes, and they were OK for about eight months.

Might want to take a look at Caterpillar (Division of Wolverine), Bates
(Division of Wolverine) or if you don't want to keep them for more than
~5 years, Sears DieHard boots. The soles will literally disintegrate off
the latter if you try to keep/store them for more than 5 years (DAMHIK)
but otherwise they wear really good for the price (~$70 on sale).

http://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en/F...FeatureID=1071

I wore a pair of these for ~6 years almost everyday:

http://www.catfootwear.com/US/en-US/...t?dimensions=0

I bought them from Meijer on sale and a generic 20% off coupon for $40
in the mid 90's. The first sole lasted a bit over 2 years. Had them
resoled and they went another 4 years, actually I still have them and
they can be worn if I'm desperate.

DON'T pay full/list price for any of them! They all go on sale pretty
regular. If you have Meijer stores down your way they carry both
Caterpillar and Bates work boots. I think you can figure out where to
look for Sears DieHards

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

The work shoes I got at Payless Shoes lasted less than a year. The first
couple weeks, they were comfortable, and like walking on thickly padded high
quality carpet. Now, they are uncomfortable to wear. $60 for a pair of
shoes, and they were OK for about eight months.

My feet are complaining every day, and during the day too.

Where to get a comfortable pair of working man's shoes? That lasts more than
8 months?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

I also suggest investigating Red Wing; they make good stuff.

http://www.redwingshoes.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Wing_Shoes

Erik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Erik wrote:
In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

The work shoes I got at Payless Shoes lasted less than a year. The first
couple weeks, they were comfortable, and like walking on thickly padded high
quality carpet. Now, they are uncomfortable to wear. $60 for a pair of
shoes, and they were OK for about eight months.

My feet are complaining every day, and during the day too.

Where to get a comfortable pair of working man's shoes? That lasts more than
8 months?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

I also suggest investigating Red Wing; they make good stuff.

http://www.redwingshoes.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Wing_Shoes

Erik

Wolverine, Timberland, Red Wing, Knapp, Chippewa

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I had a pair, ages ago. And a couple shoe sizes ago. I wonder where you'd
find such, now days?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..

Try a pair of combat boots -- most comfortable shoes I've *ever* worn.
Durable? Oh yeah.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I had a pair, ages ago. And a couple shoe sizes ago. I wonder where you'd
find such, now days?

Join the Army.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

I had a pair, ages ago. And a couple shoe sizes ago. I wonder where you'd
find such, now days?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..

Try a pair of combat boots -- most comfortable shoes I've *ever* worn.
Durable? Oh yeah.

Maybe a little OT, but:

I had some time to waste several months ago; drove over and looked
through our last remaining local Army Navy surplus store. Hadn't been
there in decades.

Years ago, a lot of their stock was real surplus stuff, but what I saw
on this trip was disappointing... most everything looked like cheap
Chinese knock off junk.

The boots in particular looked more like what you'd expect to find
packaged in some little $9.99 'Army Man' Halloween costume set.

Erik

PS, I'm pretty sure Red Wing made a lot of (if not all) boots, for the
US military.