Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT. Battleship Iowa.

http://www.latimes.com/videogallery/...attleship-Iowa
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 00:17:33 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

http://www.latimes.com/videogallery/...attleship-Iowa

There are a few battleships around the country that are open to
visitors. They are amazing to see. Awesome power
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://www.latimes.com/videogallery/...attleship-Iowa

There are a few battleships around the country that are open to
visitors. They are amazing to see. Awesome power

I've been through the Alabama and the North Carolina. Well worth the time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 09:14:35 -0400, "
wrote:

There are a few battleships around the country that are open to
visitors. They are amazing to see. Awesome power

I've been through the Alabama and the North Carolina. Well worth the time.

Toured the USS Missouri (Mighty Mo) in Pearl Harbor. There is a
medallion fastened on the deck in the location where the Japanese
signed to surrender papers. Some big honkin' guns :-\
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
There are a few battleships around the country that are open to
visitors. *They are amazing to see. *Awesome power

I've been through the Alabama and the North Carolina. Well worth the time.

Toured the USS Missouri (Mighty Mo) *in Pearl Harbor. *There is a
medallion fastened on the deck in the location where the Japanese
signed to surrender papers. Some big honkin' guns :-\

I toured the Missouri too. It's also interesting
because it's in Pearl Harbor. So, you see where
WWII began for the USA and the ship where the surrender that ended it
was signed. The Arizona
Memorial is easily visible just a short distance away
while standing on the deck of the Missouri.

The other Iowa class battleship left is the New Jersey
which is on display in Camden. Funny, even though
I live in NJ, I haven't been to see it yet. Mostly because
they chose to put it in Camden, rather than near
NYC, Statute of Liberty, etc. which is where most
of the visitors go. Which I think sadly was a mistake.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

There are a few battleships around the country that are open to
visitors. They are amazing to see. Awesome power

I've been through the Alabama and the North Carolina. Well worth the time.

Toured the USS Missouri (Mighty Mo) in Pearl Harbor. There is a
medallion fastened on the deck in the location where the Japanese
signed to surrender papers. Some big honkin' guns :-\

I didn't get to see up close the USS Missouri but saw the Arizona
Memorial. I told my wife that I had to see this because I didn't
know if I'd get to return before I die and I felt it was almost a
requirement to do so to respect those that died and those that served.
It was a humbling experience. I just couldn't imagine that the
tranquility I saw was a war zone about 70 years earlier. On another
note, I also saw about 25 years ago the Battleship Texas parked
outside of Houston, Texas. She's an old one but still was interesting
to see. Last I recall when I was young going by the old navy yard in
Penn. and seeing a lot of mothballed war ships that were stripped
down. I saw it from the car from afar but it looked a bit morbid
even as a youngster then. I wonder if it's still there (not sure
where it was exactly).
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

We spent one entire day in Pearl Harbor making the rounds. The Arizona
Memorial is a *must see*. There may not be another survivor reunion,
due to deaths, etc. Recent news is the Texas was leaking again, so
efforts were being made to patch the leaks once more. She is old.

"July 7, 2012

The state historic site reopened to the public Saturday after being
closed since June 24 for repairs to fix leaks in the vessel's metal
hull."

http://www.chron.com/communityblogs/atmosphere/gallery/Battleship-Texas-back-in-business-44390.php
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

theres battleship cove south of boston, they have a battleship and
even a submarine. i visited the battle ship with my brother and my
best friend a electronics instructor. i entered a room and there was a
bunch of electrical equiptement including a fuse box tht was open,
fuse removed. the box was full of spider webs. on a whim i touched the
center connector of the exposed fuse receptable and got a big shock. i
hit the chain railing outside the compartment.

my buddy saw me flying out and said what happened? when i told him he
reported that giving its condition he figured the box was dead, he had
thought of doing it to......

oh well its a funny story that comes up when the 3 of us are
together......

it was a fun trip.......
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 15:24:18 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

theres battleship cove south of boston, they have a battleship and
even a submarine. i visited the battle ship with my brother and my
best friend a electronics instructor. i entered a room and there was a
bunch of electrical equiptement including a fuse box tht was open,
fuse removed. the box was full of spider webs. on a whim i touched the
center connector of the exposed fuse receptable and got a big shock. i
hit the chain railing outside the compartment.

my buddy saw me flying out and said what happened? when i told him he
reported that giving its condition he figured the box was dead, he had
thought of doing it to......

oh well its a funny story that comes up when the 3 of us are
together......

it was a fun trip.......

LOL. Flip the breaker off first, right?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
harry wrote:
http://www.latimes.com/videogallery/...attleship-Iowa

On the other hand:
http://news.yahoo.com/worlds-first-n...040101476.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Fake ID" wrote in message
In article
,
harry wrote:
http://www.latimes.com/videogallery/...attleship-Iowa

On the other hand:
http://news.yahoo.com/worlds-first-n...040101476.html

There's a lot of taxpayers money, all for nothing. A lifetime of failure
and non-achievement.
Still, it's construction put a lot of money in Republican pockets.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

>theres battleship cove south of boston, they have a battleship and
>even a submarine. i visited the battle ship with my brother and my
>best friend a electronics instructor. i entered a room and there was a
>bunch of electrical equiptement including a fuse box tht was open,
>fuse removed. the box was full of spider webs. on a whim i touched the
>center connector of the exposed fuse receptable and got a big shock. i
>hit the chain railing outside the compartment.
>
>my buddy saw me flying out and said what happened? when i told him he
>reported that giving its condition he figured the box was dead, he had
>thought of doing it to......
>
>oh well its a funny story that comes up when the 3 of us are
>together......
>
>it was a fun trip.......

LOL. Flip the breaker off first, right?

breakers didnt exist when the battleship was built
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

>theres battleship cove south of boston, they have a battleship and
>even a submarine. i visited the battle ship with my brother and my
>best friend a electronics instructor. i entered a room and there was a
>bunch of electrical equiptement including a fuse box tht was open,
>fuse removed. the box was full of spider webs. on a whim i touched the
>center connector of the exposed fuse receptable and got a big shock. i
>hit the chain railing outside the compartment.
>
>my buddy saw me flying out and said what happened? when i told him he
>reported that giving its condition he figured the box was dead, he had
>thought of doing it to......
>
>oh well its a funny story that comes up when the 3 of us are
>together......
>
>it was a fun trip.......

LOL. Flip the breaker off first, right?

breakers didnt exist when the battleship was built

Didn't exist? Certainly, they were invented long before that (1836) and the
"modern" circuit breaker was patented in 1924. Doubtful that they would be on
ships by WWII, but they existed. Most circuits had cutoffs for fire control,
however. It is surprising that it was live.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"harry" wrote in message ...
http://www.latimes.com/videogallery/...attleship-Iowa

Saw on the local news that anyone with an Iowa ID gets the tour free. Normal cost is around $15. Next time I'm down that way, I'll take some pictures.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"harryagain" wrote in message

"Fake ID" wrote in message
In article
,
harry wrote:
http://www.latimes.com/videogallery/...attleship-Iowa

On the other hand:
http://news.yahoo.com/worlds-first-n...040101476.html

There's a lot of taxpayers money, all for nothing. A lifetime of failure
and non-achievement.
Still, it's construction put a lot of money in Republican pockets.

Funny how Congress was dominated by Democrats during those years
But hey, don't let the facts interfere with your ignorant bigotry