Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default OT. Battleship Iowa.

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 11:18:16 -0500, "Doug"
wrote:

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 08:08:45 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 09:14:35 -0400, "
wrote:

There are a few battleships around the country that are open to
visitors. They are amazing to see. Awesome power

I've been through the Alabama and the North Carolina. Well worth the time.

Toured the USS Missouri (Mighty Mo) in Pearl Harbor. There is a
medallion fastened on the deck in the location where the Japanese
signed to surrender papers. Some big honkin' guns :-\

I didn't get to see up close the USS Missouri but saw the Arizona
Memorial. I told my wife that I had to see this because I didn't
know if I'd get to return before I die and I felt it was almost a
requirement to do so to respect those that died and those that served.
It was a humbling experience. I just couldn't imagine that the
tranquility I saw was a war zone about 70 years earlier. On another
note, I also saw about 25 years ago the Battleship Texas parked
outside of Houston, Texas. She's an old one but still was interesting
to see. Last I recall when I was young going by the old navy yard in
Penn. and seeing a lot of mothballed war ships that were stripped
down. I saw it from the car from afar but it looked a bit morbid
even as a youngster then. I wonder if it's still there (not sure
where it was exactly).

We spent one entire day in Pearl Harbor making the rounds. The Arizona
Memorial is a *must see*. There may not be another survivor reunion,
due to deaths, etc. Recent news is the Texas was leaking again, so
efforts were being made to patch the leaks once more. She is old.

"July 7, 2012

The state historic site reopened to the public Saturday after being
closed since June 24 for repairs to fix leaks in the vessel's metal
hull."

http://www.chron.com/communityblogs/atmosphere/gallery/Battleship-Texas-back-in-business-44390.php