Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to sand a rubber washer

What would you use to sand, reduce the thickness of a flat rubber washer?
Sandpaper? Most likely I only need to remove 1/64th" at most 1/32". I have
plenty of washer so trial and error will get the right thickness sooner
rather than later.

Experience with this group dictates that I must explain the why.

We have a transfer valve on the garden tub. The shower head broke. The part
is obsolete, replacements from Delta are made differently and because of the
deck mount would not be a good choice. Changing out the deck mount would be
a major project. I bought a hand held shower unit at Lowes, but the thread
run length is slightly different and the old washer was bad. The OEM washer
is also obsolete and did not even have a part number. I substituted a
regular flat washer but it is slightly too thick resulting in the angle of
the dangle being wrong.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Colbyt" wrote in
m:

What would you use to sand, reduce the thickness of a flat rubber
washer? Sandpaper? Most likely I only need to remove 1/64th" at most
1/32". I have plenty of washer so trial and error will get the right
thickness sooner rather than later.

Experience with this group dictates that I must explain the why.

We have a transfer valve on the garden tub. The shower head broke.
The part is obsolete, replacements from Delta are made differently and
because of the deck mount would not be a good choice. Changing out the
deck mount would be a major project. I bought a hand held shower unit
at Lowes, but the thread run length is slightly different and the old
washer was bad. The OEM washer is also obsolete and did not even have
a part number. I substituted a regular flat washer but it is slightly
too thick resulting in the angle of the dangle being wrong.

I don't think rubber sands very well,it would be better to shave it down
somehow. maybe a disposable razor? I'd suggest a hobby plane,but you'd need
a scary-sharp blade.

WRT sanding,maybe one of those oscillating multitools(Fein,HF,etc.) could
sand it down. But the remaining surface will be rough,not smooth.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...
What would you use to sand, reduce the thickness of a flat rubber washer?
Sandpaper? Most likely I only need to remove 1/64th" at most 1/32". I
have plenty of washer so trial and error will get the right thickness
sooner rather than later.

Experience with this group dictates that I must explain the why.

We have a transfer valve on the garden tub. The shower head broke. The
part is obsolete, replacements from Delta are made differently and because
of the deck mount would not be a good choice. Changing out the deck mount
would be a major project. I bought a hand held shower unit at Lowes, but
the thread run length is slightly different and the old washer was bad.
The OEM washer is also obsolete and did not even have a part number. I
substituted a regular flat washer but it is slightly too thick resulting
in the angle of the dangle being wrong.

Put it in the freezer (the colder the better) and then 'lap' it on emery
paper. Repeat as necessary.

Dry ice would work better but be aware that the rubber will become brittle.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/5/2012 9:16 AM, Colbyt wrote:
What would you use to sand, reduce the thickness of a flat rubber washer?

Probably have better luck going to larger supply house and finding one
of right thickness or make one of one or more layers of gasket material
to get the proper thickness.

Or, for just a tiny bit, I'd probably try squishing one in a vice to see
if could get it to hold some compression just enough to make it work.

Abrading rubber is tough and likely to leave a surface that won't seal
even if get it done. But as for how to try it, I'd give holding it
against the side of the grinder wheel for a while and see how that
works...might have to double-sticky tape it to a small block or
something to kept it flat and give something to hold on to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 5, 10:16*am, "Colbyt" wrote:
[...]

Please come visithttp://www.househomerepair.com

How about multiple thinner washers?

I would think that a sharp razor blade would allow you to "slice" it
as opposed to sanding it, although it might be hard to keep the cut
perfectly even.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Colbyt wrote:
What would you use to sand, reduce the thickness of a flat rubber
washer? Sandpaper? Most likely I only need to remove 1/64th" at most
1/32". I have plenty of washer so trial and error will get the right
thickness sooner rather than later.

I sand down rubber corks to use as tips in my cane, no reason why you can't
thin down a washer. If it were me, I would...

1. stick washer to something rigid with double sided tape
2. sand away

Coarse paper works better than fine, rasps work well too.

The thoughts about cooling/freezing have merit.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/5/2012 10:16 AM, Colbyt wrote:
[...]

I just sanded one around the circumference to get it to fit a spray
head. No problem and I used a medium course paper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Freeze it, then sand w/ fine sand paper? Rub with solvent? Actually, I
haven't a clue, but these are what I'd try )

Posted to alt.home.repair

Colbyt wrote:

[...]

Drop it on the hot skillet for a few seconds and let it melt a tiny bit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 5, 9:16*am, "Colbyt" wrote:
[...]

Could you find an "O" ring that would work????

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/05/2012 07:16 AM, Colbyt wrote:
[...]

Go to a plumbing supply store, the dirty one where working plumbers go
to get parts, and ask them. Bring the part with you.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Jul 5, 10:16*am, "Colbyt" wrote:
[...]

Power tools, and a careful touch. Be warned, it'll smell bad. Trying
to sand rubber by hand is doomed to failure. Dooooooomed.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Jul 5, 10:52*am, "NotMe" wrote:
"Colbyt" wrote in message

m...

[...]

I like that idea. May have to try it some day when I have a situation
similar to the OP's.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 5, 9:16*am, "Colbyt" wrote:
What would you use to sand, reduce the thickness of a flat rubber washer?

snip

Most rubber parts will sand just fine on your small bench grinder.
Might take clever fixturing, but can be done.
Better to head to your auto parts store and buy a sheet of rubber
gasket material of the right thickness and a gasket punch set. Neither
of these is a $$ deal breaker and what you buy will be useful for
other projects/repairs. BTDT.
You can easily make your own punches from pieces of tubing close to
right size, like EMT, for example. Just sharpen the edges like the
gasket punch and be sure to use some end grain wood as backup for the
punch so as not to destroy the sharp edge.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 5, 3:16*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
[...]

Drill a hole same size as washer to equired depth in bit of wood with
a spade drill (gives a flat based hole)
Put washer in hole and use a belt sander.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 5, 2:06*pm, harry wrote:
On Jul 5, 3:16*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:

[...]

Put washer in hole and use a belt sander.- Hide quoted text -

First, a Forstner bit will result in a much more precise flat bottom
hole than a spade bit ever will.

Second, good luck finding the washer after the belt sander sends it
flying across the room.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Colbyt wrote:

[...]

Check McMaster.com, they have rubber washers in neoprene and EPDM in
various sizes and 0.062", 0.093" and 0.125" thicknesses and should have
rubber sheet stock in many more thicknesses you can cut a washer from.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 5, 1:27*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jul 5, 2:06*pm, harry wrote:

On Jul 5, 3:16*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:

[...]

flying across the room.- Hide quoted text -

BTDT????
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 5, 2:06*pm, harry wrote:

On Jul 5, 3:16*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:

[...]

The Forstner bit or the flying washer? ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 5 Jul 2012 10:16:44 -0400, "Colbyt"
wrote:

Experience with this group dictates that I must explain the why.

Use a mandolin vegetable slicer?

But the advice given buy Joe is excellent. Auto places will have
material to make yourself one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 5, 2012 11:21:53 AM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I would think that a sharp razor blade would allow you to "slice" it
as opposed to sanding it, although it might be hard to keep the cut
perfectly even.

1. Double-edge razor blade.
2. Metal shims the same thickness as the desired end result on each side of the washer to guide the blade.
3. Two really steady hands.

My fingertips started bleeding just at the thought of doing this.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Experience with this group dictates that I must explain the why.

Use a mandolin vegetable slicer?

But the advice given buy Joe is excellent. Auto places will have
material to make yourself one.

Actually there were several good suggestions and I will report back what I
try and what works. I won't be playing with razor blades but thanks anyway.

Just to clear up any misunderstanding; this was a lucky diameter on a
standard faucet washer and I think they only come in one thickness.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 5, 7:27*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jul 5, 2:06*pm, harry wrote:

[...]