Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Personal experience with the Rockwell 3RILL

EXCELLENT!

The Ms. just bought me a 'birthday' gift, the 62 piece set with
charging station and two batteries, as advertised on TV. Usually, the
rule is "if it is advertised on TV, it is c***!" But, in this case,
it was well worth the money. for me and the occasional use ANYWHERE
around our home.

1. cordless and QUIET! absolutely no scream or whine.
2. workplace light, so you can see what you're doing. but, only comes
on when you operate the tool.
3. light weight, easy on your hand. small battery disappears into
handle and small profile can get up next to walls
4. powerful for what I needed - emergency: had to saw a board in two
places by drilling multiple holes (8-10) then break it out, less than
60 seconds and the board was gone.
5. the bits supplied were sharp enough to CUT down through very
effortlessly.
6. ...and the MAJOR item -- LIFETIME WARRANTY ON BATTERIES!!!

The battery recharge in 30 minutes made me nervous, from experience
with old battery chemistry I KNOW that fast charge kills batteries,
but with lifetime warranty? not my problem.

One tiny downside, that may gripe the professionals here, the quick
disconnect tools with the hex base, do NOT positively lock rigidly
along the drill's axis, just a bit wobbly at their tips. But, put the
drill tip into a starter hole and with the sharpness of the tool I
found it didn't matter. My estimate at the amount of wobbling between
1/64th to 1/32th inch, caught me off guard compared to my corded,
chucked drill. But, again, the workaround is a good starter hole.

Anybody else try one of these?
Posted to alt.home.repair

ONE OF THESE WHAT ?????????????????????????????????

Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/Jerryohio-2/Day4

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 14:56:03 -0400, (Jerry Ohio-2)
wrote:

ONE OF THESE WHAT ?????????????????????????????????

Ever read a subject line?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 24, 11:11*am, Robert Macy wrote:
[...]

Put the drill tip into a starter hole? I have to have a starter hole
before I can drill a hole? No thanks!

What will happen when I use my 6" Phillips bit? Is it going to wobble
so much that I can't keep it in the screw head?

http://www.amazon.com/PHILLIPS-SCREW.../dp/B000VNLM1W
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 24, 4:35*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

ok, I said it wrong. With the drill stopped, place the sharp tip where
you want the hole drilled, turn on the drill, no walking, just cut
down through. I NEVER used a starter hole, per se.

I'll take another look. Supposed to be able to supply something like
130 in-lb in drill mode and 800 in-lb in impact mode. Seems like a
lot of twist for a small handle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 24, 9:47*pm, Robert Macy wrote:
[...]

Ok, so you used term "starter hole" twice in your OP, yet you never
use a starter hole.

Then I asked about the "bit wobble" you mentioned and respond by
supplying to torque specs. What does that have to with a wobbly bit?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 24, 8:58*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

nothing, just forgot it in the original.

There is a big difference between 10mil wobble at a tip and having it
'jump' out of a phillips head screw.

Maybe the unit I have is 'out of spec', don't know.

Get one try it, return if not like it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 25, 9:59*am, Robert Macy wrote:
[...]

It depends on how far from the chuck the 10mil wobble is.

I know people who put those tiny #2 bits right into the chuck with no
adaptor. Any wobble will probably never be noticed in the 1/2" of bit
that sticks out of the chuck.

However, I always use either an extension like this:

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW2054-.../dp/B0000225P8

or sometimes a 6" bit like this:

http://www.amazon.com/PHILLIPS-SCREW.../dp/B000VNLM1W

If the wobble is 10mil at the chuck, it's going to be a lot worse at
the end of a 6" bit.

Maybe the unit I have is 'out of spec', don't know.

Get one try it, return if not like it

I assume you have not yet returned yours. Are you planning to? If so,
let us know if the replacement also wobbles.

We'd appreciate it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW2054-...etic/dp/B00002...

or sometimes a 6" bit like this:

http://www.amazon.com/PHILLIPS-SCREW.../dp/B000VNLM1W

If the wobble is 10mil at the chuck, it's going to be a lot worse at
the end of a 6" bit.

Maybe the unit I have is 'out of spec', don't know.

Get one try it, return if not like it

I assume you have not yet returned yours. Are you planning to? If so,
let us know if the replacement also wobbles.

We'd appreciate it.

NOT AT THE CHUCK!!! at the tip
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 26, 8:37*am, Robert Macy wrote:
[...]

NOT AT THE CHUCK!!! at the tip- Hide quoted text -

10 MM at the tip is a lot more than I would tolerate!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 26, 9:37*am, Robert Macy wrote:
[...]

No need to shout.

It appears that you misunderstood my point.

I was taking the location of the wobble to the farthest extremes just
to make a point.

OK, I'll go along with you on this. The 10mil wobble is at the tip.
Now tell us where the tip is.

Is the tip in your case 1/2" from the end of the chuck (i.e. at the
tip one of those 3/4" #2 bits inserted with no adapter) or is the tip
6" out from the chuck, like when I use one of my 6" #2 bits or is it
someplace in between?

Since we can be pretty sure that the bit itself is not causing the
wobble, we have to assume that the chuck and/or the holding tabs on
the chuck are. Therefore, the farther out the tip is from the chuck,
the more wobble will be present at the tip. If we consider the 10mil
wobble to be the diameter of a circle around the tip at some given
distance from the chuck, then the farther out you move the tip, the
larger the diameter will be (i.e. more wobble).

Since you've not told us where your tips are - in relation to the
chuck - it's hard for us to gauge the amount of wobble.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 26, 8:42*am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
[...]

10 MILS !!!, not 10 MM !!!

or, ya just playin' wit' me? ok, you got me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 26, 8:52*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

From memory [without going and measuring] the drill bits are about 6
inches long with a 'quick disconnect' type hex shaft and detent cutout
all the way around..

My guess is that it is not mechanically possible to grip a hex shaft
perfectly, therefore I saw the effect. For example the wobble at the
tip could be constant down the whole bit. However, once the drill cut
into the surface, I didn't notice any difference between the hex
attachment and the old chuck drill I used to use. ...except ...not
sure if this is faulty memory or real, but the old chuck drill
screamed and always stalled or ran too fast with poor variable speed
control [Black & Decker, circa 80's] the old unit had wrong torque to
cut, then when it cut it ran too fast. The Rockwell felt like there
was more precision in the speed control. Pulling the trigger simply
made it turn through whatever at a very controlled rate, rather than
abruptly speeding up when load diminished. Definitely had a great
control 'feeling' to it.

I hope other people try one and give their impression/observations.

Right now I'm ready to go tackle jobs I had been dreading -- working
in a small closet-like confined space, where the old drill would
scream mercilessly in your ears, or stall to a stop and then suddenly
take off when it started cutting. The Rockwell was quiet and the speed
control feels like just that, no matter the load it goes from stop, to
slow turn, to faster turning, whatever as thought there is no load at
all.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 26, 2:07*pm, Robert Macy wrote:

[...]

From memory [without going and measuring] the drill bits are about 6
inches long with a 'quick disconnect' type hex shaft and detent cutout
all the way around..

Well, since we are now compares apples to apples (i.e. 6" bits) we can
make better comparisons.

My guess is that it is not mechanically possible to grip a hex shaft
perfectly, therefore I saw the effect.

I'll have to go home and check, bit I don't recall "wobble" in my hex
shaft bits and I've got bits that are much longer than 6" - wood
boring bits that I use on landscape timbers.

I'm not doubting you, just saying I need to verify.

For example the wobble at the
tip could be constant down the whole bit. However, once the drill cut
into the surface, I didn't notice any difference between the hex
attachment and the old chuck drill I used to use. ...except ...not
sure if this is faulty memory or real, but the old chuck drill
screamed and always stalled or ran too fast with poor variable speed
control [Black & Decker, circa 80's] the old unit had wrong torque to
cut, then when it cut it ran too fast. The Rockwell felt like there
was more precision in the speed control. Pulling the trigger simply
made it turn through whatever at a very controlled rate, rather than
abruptly speeding up when load diminished. *Definitely had a great
control 'feeling' to it.

It could be possible that there is such a vast difference between your
old horrific drill and the Rockwell that you feel it is "Excellent!"
in comparison. Even good enough to put up with wobbly bits.

Who knows...as long as you like it, that's really all that counts.

I hope other people try one and give their impression/observations.

Right now I'm ready to go tackle jobs I had been dreading -- working
in a small closet-like confined space, where the old drill would
scream mercilessly in your ears, or stall to a stop and then suddenly
take off when it started cutting. The Rockwell was quiet and the speed
control feels like just that, no matter the load it goes from stop, to
slow turn, to faster turning, whatever as thought there is no load at
all.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 26, 12:01*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

From memory [without going and measuring] the drill bits are about 6
[...]

Just thought of something. Perhaps, the shape of the 'chip' bit caused
an optical illusion that made it appear to wobble. The twist bit
didn't do that and it had hex mounting too

New Personal Record Bob La Londe[_6_] Metalworking 17 April 18th 11 02:05 AM
Personal Loan tomma Home Repair 0 September 18th 07 07:27 AM
PERSONAL LOAN tomma Home Repair 1 September 10th 07 04:17 AM
My personal review Leon Woodworking 25 July 16th 03 11:26 PM