Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Personal experience with the Rockwell 3RILL

On Jun 26, 2:07*pm, Robert Macy wrote:

NOT AT THE CHUCK!!! at the tip- Hide quoted text -

No need to shout.

It appears that you misunderstood my point.

I was taking the location of the wobble to the farthest extremes just
to make a point.

OK, I'll go along with you on this. The 10mil wobble is at the tip.
Now tell us where the tip is.

Is the tip in your case 1/2" from the end of the chuck (i.e. at the
tip one of those 3/4" #2 bits inserted with no adapter) or is the tip
6" out from the chuck, like when I use one of my 6" #2 bits or is it
someplace in between?

Since we can be pretty sure that the bit itself is not causing the
wobble, we have to assume that the chuck and/or the holding tabs on
the chuck are. Therefore, the farther out the tip is from the chuck,
the more wobble will be present at the tip. If we consider the 10mil
wobble to be the diameter of a circle around the tip at some given
distance from the chuck, then the farther out you move the tip, the
larger the diameter will be (i.e. more wobble).

Since you've not told us where your tips are - in relation to the
chuck - it's hard for us to gauge the amount of wobble.

From memory [without going and measuring] the drill bits are about 6
inches long with a 'quick disconnect' type hex shaft and detent cutout
all the way around..

Well, since we are now compares apples to apples (i.e. 6" bits) we can
make better comparisons.

My guess is that it is not mechanically possible to grip a hex shaft
perfectly, therefore I saw the effect.

I'll have to go home and check, bit I don't recall "wobble" in my hex
shaft bits and I've got bits that are much longer than 6" - wood
boring bits that I use on landscape timbers.

I'm not doubting you, just saying I need to verify.

For example the wobble at the
tip could be constant down the whole bit. However, once the drill cut
into the surface, I didn't notice any difference between the hex
attachment and the old chuck drill I used to use. ...except ...not
sure if this is faulty memory or real, but the old chuck drill
screamed and always stalled or ran too fast with poor variable speed
control [Black & Decker, circa 80's] the old unit had wrong torque to
cut, then when it cut it ran too fast. The Rockwell felt like there
was more precision in the speed control. Pulling the trigger simply
made it turn through whatever at a very controlled rate, rather than
abruptly speeding up when load diminished. *Definitely had a great
control 'feeling' to it.

It could be possible that there is such a vast difference between your
old horrific drill and the Rockwell that you feel it is "Excellent!"
in comparison. Even good enough to put up with wobbly bits.

Who knows...as long as you like it, that's really all that counts.

I hope other people try one and give their impression/observations.

Right now I'm ready to go tackle jobs I had been dreading -- working
in a small closet-like confined space, where the old drill would
scream mercilessly in your ears, or stall to a stop and then suddenly
take off when it started cutting. The Rockwell was quiet and the speed
control feels like just that, no matter the load it goes from stop, to
slow turn, to faster turning, whatever as thought there is no load at
all.- Hide quoted text -