Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Two questions about granite counters

I went with a friend to a home construction recyle store yesterday and
two questions arose.

1) She saw bathroom (and maybe kitchen) counterrs, with sinks in them,
that were a couple inches too long for the space available. How
much, just in ballpark terms, do you think it might cost to cut off
an inch or two from the end of a counter? The charge is by the cut,
right? I guess she'd need him to come to her house, so that's one
price. But to save enough money, she might take the cabinet to him.
How is someone who does this listed in the phonebook or on the web?.

1) How can one tell real granite from artificial? My tentative
theory is that if the owner or if everyone can't tell, it doesn't
matter, but she wants to know.

a) I noticed that the back of the splash wasn't full thickness
everywhere, indented in most of the middle. That's artificial,
right? (Because there would be no point (except to make it
lighter) to grinding out the middle. The dust wouldn't be very useful.
But if molding something, it would save material to make it thinner
where it couldn't be seen.

b) Any time the sink is of the same material as the counter,
everything is artificial, right?

c) Some had already been cut off to fit their original installation.
There should be a clue in the new surface, I would think, but I didn't
know what to look for.

d) Any other clues what is artificial or what is real?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 18, 10:54*am, micky wrote:
[...]

Yeah, if the sink is the same material as the counter, and is not an
add-on glued below the counter, it sure isn't likely to be natural
stone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:

1) How can one tell real granite from artificial? My tentative
theory is that if the owner or if everyone can't tell, it doesn't
matter, but she wants to know.

Borrow a Geiger Counter. Real granite is radioactive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 19:28:22 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Han wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in news:9u-
:

micky wrote:

1) How can one tell real granite from artificial? My tentative
theory is that if the owner or if everyone can't tell, it doesn't
matter, but she wants to know.

Borrow a Geiger Counter. Real granite is radioactive.

I'd bette not tell her that.

I know most granite is radioactive to a small, but significant
extent. But aren't the "articial" granites made of ground up
quartz-like material (perhaps somewhat alike to granite,

That's right. One web page today said that each of the imitation
granites were made out of pieces of quarts, embedded in plastic. .
How come their not made out of pieces of granite, embedded in plastic?

Aren't there lots of broken pieees of granite, that can be chopped,
pressed, and flaked?

I had a friend in NYC who wanted a slate floor for his little
bathroom. I suggested we go to Slatington, Pa. where there are
pieces of slate all along the highways, that fell off trucks, I guess.
I figured we could find enough for free to do his bathroom. .

but I'm not
sure?), which is embedded in a plastic material? That might be
radioactive as well, because of the quartz. I retired - no more easy
access to a Geiger counter.

Depends on "easy." Here's one for ten bucks.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-PREC... tem3cc78b5aa5

No, that's the current bid but the reserve hasn't been met yet.

I had a noise like a geiger counter in one ear, for about 3 months.
It went away 80% one day, and was gone by the next.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ktos wrote:
...these people with their granite, OG! what a bunch of idiots. All
of them trying to impress someone.

Many (most?) have their sense of self worth determined solely by the
approbation of others. Call it "Keeping up with the Joneses' " or whatever,
there's a reason why some can't sleep until they get 10,000 "friends" on
Facebook.

Consider the book "Why Do You Care What Other People Think?" by Richard P.
Feynman (Nobel Prize in Physics).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 19 Jun 2012 05:26:59 GMT, ktos wrote:

...these people with their granite, OG! what a bunch of idiots. All of
them trying to impress someone.

....and then there are those who have such a shallow life that they incessantly
worry that others enjoy what they can't afford.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

Han wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in news:9u-
:

micky wrote:

1) How can one tell real granite from artificial? My tentative
theory is that if the owner or if everyone can't tell, it doesn't
matter, but she wants to know.

Borrow a Geiger Counter. Real granite is radioactive.

I know most granite is radioactive to a small, but significant
extent. But aren't the "articial" granites made of ground up
quartz-like material (perhaps somewhat alike to granite, but I'm not
sure?), which is embedded in a plastic material? That might be
radioactive as well, because of the quartz. I retired - no more easy
access to a Geiger counter.

Depends on "easy." Here's one for ten bucks.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-PREC...Y-STRIKE-GEIGE
R-COUNTER-RADIATION-METER-/261045836453?pt=BI_Security_Fire_Protection&
hash=item3cc78b5aa5

Looks like it is missing the tube that does the actual counting. If it
is just the converter and power supply, it won't work without the tube.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

ktos wrote in news:4fe00da2$0$2789$c3e8da3
:

...these people with their granite, OG! what a bunch of idiots. All of
them trying to impress someone.

When we wanted a renewed kitchen 12 or os years ago, granite was just
coming into fashion, and was very expensive. We wanted (and could afford)
something better than your average laminate. Upon pricing and weighing
pros and cons, we decided on Silestone. (we had had Corian and weren't all
that impressed). We've never regretted the decision. While perhaps not
impervious to fashion trends in furniture, we definitely have our preferred
styles, and f the Joneses.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 19 Jun 2012 17:49:32 GMT, Han wrote:

ktos wrote in news:4fe00da2$0$2789$c3e8da3
:

...these people with their granite, OG! what a bunch of idiots. All of
them trying to impress someone.

When we wanted a renewed kitchen 12 or os years ago, granite was just
coming into fashion, and was very expensive. We wanted (and could afford)
something better than your average laminate. Upon pricing and weighing
pros and cons, we decided on Silestone. (we had had Corian and weren't all
that impressed). We've never regretted the decision. While perhaps not
impervious to fashion trends in furniture, we definitely have our preferred
styles, and f the Joneses.

I think you'll find that these upgraded solid countertops will not "go out of
style". SWMBO will never give up Granite countertops (one of the must-haves
on our new house). They're *great* for baking. ;-) The master bath does
have a laminate counter top. It'll probably gone within the year.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

" wrote in
:

[...]

I have heard that granite (or at least some granite-like materials) do
not like direct oven to counter transfer. I have had no problem with my
Silestone. Also, granite does need occasional sealing to keep its
properties. Not so Silestone. At least, we don't ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 20 Jun 2012 00:19:04 GMT, Han wrote:

" wrote in
:

[...]

No problems with granite, either. It is igneous rock, after all. ;-)

Also, granite does need occasional sealing to keep its
properties. Not so Silestone. At least, we don't ...

Never had a problem with granite. I've never sealed any of mine (though I
intend to, someday soon) and have no stains in something upwards of 200ft^2.
Of course that may be because granite doesn't come in white. ;-)

Other than baking and cost, "quartz" and glue may be a better surface, though.
Dunno.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

" wrote in
:

[...]

One of my family members has granite countertops. Especially around
where they keep a Brita water purifier bottle (next to the sink), it
looks as if the granite is being "eaten" somewhat. I don't remember
whether this was a "preexisting condition" from previous owners, though.

Some are saying now that granite has come down in price and the
artificial quartzes have gone up. I'd advice/advise people to price
things and establish warrantee info.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to alt.home.repair

Formica is inexpensive and you can easily install it yourself. I put in
30 linear feet of counter top for about $350 and an afternoon of easy
labor. If I get tired of the color in a few more years, I'll replace it
again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ktos" wrote in message b.com...
...these people with their granite, OG! what a bunch of idiots. All of
them trying to impress someone.

Exactly! And most of them have stainless steel gas grills and two SUVs they can't afford either.

This YouTube clip says it all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0HX4a5P8eE

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 17:48:16 -0400, Greg wrote:

Formica is inexpensive and you can easily install it yourself. I put in
30 linear feet of counter top for about $350 and an afternoon of easy
labor. If I get tired of the color in a few more years, I'll replace it
again.

In a few years you'll have to. I'll never buy laminate for anything other
than a work bench (or tool surface) again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 20 Jun 2012 17:44:57 GMT, Han wrote:

" wrote in
:

[...]

I understand that leaving fruit juice or "Coke" on the surface will etch it
pretty quickly. I don't have any issues around the coffee pot with any
etching or stains. The top is a speckled whiteish sort of color so wouldn't
immediately show stains. The countertop in this house is brown with darker
spots so I don't expect it to show stains at all. I understand black granite
is a PITA, though. I've seen blues that may make the work worthwhile, though.

Some are saying now that granite has come down in price and the
artificial quartzes have gone up. I'd advice/advise people to price
things and establish warrantee info.

Sure. Granite has come way down in price. They're slicing it thinner, too,
which makes it cheaper and easier to work with. When we looked, "quartz" was
upwards of 2X granite.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 18:18:27 -0400, "Jesse Porter"
wrote:

"ktos" wrote in message b.com...
...these people with their granite, OG! what a bunch of idiots. All of
them trying to impress someone.

Exactly! And most of them have stainless steel gas grills and two SUVs they can't afford either.

Stainless steel grill, sure. SUV? Nope. A 12YO car and a 11YO pickup, both
*long* paid for. I can even afford both houses. ;-)

This YouTube clip says it all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0HX4a5P8eE

Green isn't your best color.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

" wrote in
:

Sure. Granite has come way down in price. They're slicing it
thinner, too, which makes it cheaper and easier to work with. When we
looked, "quartz" was upwards of 2X granite.

Granite was much more expensive than Silestone when we priced it some 12-13
years ago. At least around here.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Han" wrote

I have heard that granite (or at least some granite-like materials) do
not like direct oven to counter transfer. I have had no problem with my
Silestone. Also, granite does need occasional sealing to keep its
properties. Not so Silestone. At least, we don't ...

I wish I had access to a video my friend has at his granite business. He
had a friend do it for him, who is a graphics expert. The clip shows him
taking a propane torch like you would burn weeds with, and getting granite
so hot that the pot on top of it turned black. The granite did not crack,
discolor, or chip. The video is astounding.

I have granite in my house right now that he did. A wonderful job. It is
the second house I have had with granite that we had installed. On both, I
have not had a chip, crack, peeling, whatever, and I have taken care of it
very minimally. I don't know if I just got some good slabs, or what.

I have heard of bad things about granite. I just have not experienced any
of those things. But then, we bought premium granite. I think maybe the
bad stories may be based on cheap stuff. Or stuff that is not "real"
granite. I know there are synthetics out there, and new stuff that is very
good. I cannot speak for those.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sure. Granite has come way down in price. They're slicing it
thinner, too, which makes it cheaper and easier to work with.

My current kitchen is one inch granite. The one we did in Vegas was 3/4".
This one was more granite, more fluff, and less in cost. This one has the
beaver edges, doubled edges, pieces behind the stove and countertops that
resemble mountain profiles. The prices are definitely down, and now that
this is about two years old, probably down more.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

...these people with their granite, OG! what a bunch of idiots. All of
them trying to impress someone.

I'm sorry. I have granite, and it is because I like granite in my kitchen.
I do impress people, but it is because of who I am, and not because of
anything I am trying to do.

You must be a liberal with all your class envy going on.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 20:29:21 -0400, "
wrote:

One of my family members has granite countertops. Especially around
where they keep a Brita water purifier bottle (next to the sink), it
looks as if the granite is being "eaten" somewhat. I don't remember
whether this was a "preexisting condition" from previous owners, though.

I understand that leaving fruit juice or "Coke" on the surface will etch it
pretty quickly.

I thoughty it was marble that got damaged by Coke. And that granite
didn't.

For the sams reason that marble tombstones are wearing away ini the
acid rain, at least in the northeast, while granite tombstones don't
suffer at all.

I don't have any issues around the coffee pot with any
etching or stains. The top is a speckled whiteish sort of color so wouldn't
immediately show stains. The countertop in this house is brown with darker
spots so I don't expect it to show stains at all. I understand black granite
is a PITA, though. I've seen blues that may make the work worthwhile, though.

Some are saying now that granite has come down in price and the
artificial quartzes have gone up. I'd advice/advise people to price
things and establish warrantee info.

Sure. Granite has come way down in price. They're slicing it thinner, too,
which makes it cheaper and easier to work with. When we looked, "quartz" was
upwards of 2X granite.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 21:00:46 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

Sure. Granite has come way down in price. They're slicing it
thinner, too, which makes it cheaper and easier to work with.

My current kitchen is one inch granite. The one we did in Vegas was 3/4".
This one was more granite, more fluff, and less in cost. This one has the
beaver edges, doubled edges, pieces behind the stove and countertops that
resemble mountain profiles.

Mountain profiles! Whatever do you mean?

The prices are definitely down, and now that
this is about two years old, probably down more.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote in message b.com...
...these people with their granite, OG! what a bunch of idiots. All of
them trying to impress someone.

Exactly! And most of them have stainless steel gas grills and two SUVs they can't afford either.

Stainless steel grill, sure. SUV? Nope. A 12YO car and a 11YO pickup, both
*long* paid for. I can even afford both houses. ;-)

This YouTube clip says it all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0HX4a5P8eE

Green isn't your best color.

Any "man" that wastes thousands of dollars on granite for his wife's
kitchen needs to grow a pair.

Sheeeeeesssshhh!!!!!!!

Now, now. Macho doesn't work with some women, especially wives.
People spend their money as they see fit.
I can see how some might like granite. Or slate.
We've got a circa 1959 formica counter in our small kitchen.
Square edges, and all in perfect shape.
Since my wife likes the look of gray slate, she bought a can of slate
gray alkyd paint and painted the beige countertop and backsplash.
Looks good, kind of like formica painted with slate gray alkyd.
Still perfect after about 8 years, except for a couple tiny spots
showing the old formica where she does her cutting board work.
Don't know what countertops we'll get when we remodel the kitchen.
Probably formica, but maybe not. Only thing I want to avoid is that
chipping I've seen in some curved formica. I'll look into all that
when it's time.

--
Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

One of my family members has granite countertops. Especially around
where they keep a Brita water purifier bottle (next to the sink), it
looks as if the granite is being "eaten" somewhat. I don't remember
whether this was a "preexisting condition" from previous owners, though.

I understand that leaving fruit juice or "Coke" on the surface will etch it
pretty quickly.

I thoughty it was marble that got damaged by Coke. And that granite
didn't.

For the sams reason that marble tombstones are wearing away ini the
acid rain, at least in the northeast, while granite tombstones don't
suffer at all.

Marble is quite soft (the reason it's not often used for this application).
Coke will rot anything, including apatite (tooth enamel). Carbonic and
phosphoric acid are pretty good etches.

I don't have any issues around the coffee pot with any
etching or stains. The top is a speckled whiteish sort of color so wouldn't
immediately show stains. The countertop in this house is brown with darker
spots so I don't expect it to show stains at all. I understand black granite
is a PITA, though. I've seen blues that may make the work worthwhile, though.

Some are saying now that granite has come down in price and the
artificial quartzes have gone up. I'd advice/advise people to price
things and establish warrantee info.

Sure. Granite has come way down in price. They're slicing it thinner, too,
which makes it cheaper and easier to work with. When we looked, "quartz" was
upwards of 2X granite.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote in message b.com...
...these people with their granite, OG! what a bunch of idiots. All of
them trying to impress someone.

Exactly! And most of them have stainless steel gas grills and two SUVs they can't afford either.

Stainless steel grill, sure. SUV? Nope. A 12YO car and a 11YO pickup, both
*long* paid for. I can even afford both houses. ;-)

This YouTube clip says it all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0HX4a5P8eE

Green isn't your best color.

Any "man" that wastes thousands of dollars on granite for his wife's
kitchen needs to grow a pair.

No money "wasted" at all. A "man" so worried about what others spend their
money is the one who needs a pair. Borrow them, if you can't afford them.

Sheeeeeesssshhh!!!!!!!

Indeed. You must be a lefty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote in message b.com...
...these people with their granite, OG! what a bunch of idiots. All of
them trying to impress someone.

Exactly! And most of them have stainless steel gas grills and two SUVs they can't afford either.

Stainless steel grill, sure. SUV? Nope. A 12YO car and a 11YO pickup, both
*long* paid for. I can even afford both houses. ;-)

This YouTube clip says it all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0HX4a5P8eE

Green isn't your best color.

Any "man" that wastes thousands of dollars on granite for his wife's
kitchen needs to grow a pair.

Sheeeeeesssshhh!!!!!!!

Now, now. Macho doesn't work with some women, especially wives.
People spend their money as they see fit.
I can see how some might like granite. Or slate.

Slate? For a countertop? I'd think it would be too porous; dangerous, in
fact.

We've got a circa 1959 formica counter in our small kitchen.
Square edges, and all in perfect shape.
Since my wife likes the look of gray slate, she bought a can of slate
gray alkyd paint and painted the beige countertop and backsplash.
Looks good, kind of like formica painted with slate gray alkyd.
Still perfect after about 8 years, except for a couple tiny spots
showing the old formica where she does her cutting board work.
Don't know what countertops we'll get when we remodel the kitchen.
Probably formica, but maybe not. Only thing I want to avoid is that
chipping I've seen in some curved formica. I'll look into all that
when it's time.

In our VT house, we had formica with a cherry edge. It dressed up the cherry
cabinets pretty well. I *much* prefer granite, though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 09:02:56 -0400, "
wrote:

Slate? For a countertop? I'd think it would be too porous; dangerous, in
fact.

Nope. But good Vermont slate might cost more than granite.
Don't know what you mean by "dangerous."
Our countertops don't touch food anyway.
Pan bottoms, plate bottoms, and cutting board bottoms do.
Bare particleboard would work if splashed water and juices didn't wet
it and make it fall apart.
Any common countertop is easily sanitized with a bleach wipedown.

--
Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 20, 8:54*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Han" wrote

[...]

Downside for us, is that the counter top is extremely unforgiving of
dropping glassware/breakables on it.

Up side, best surface ever. And, if you do pastries, don't need a
separate 'marble' platter to work on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Manly Mann" wrote

Any "man" that wastes thousands of dollars on granite for his wife's
kitchen needs to grow a pair.

Sheeeeeesssshhh!!!!!!!

I'd say that any may who does that loves his wife. A friend of mine bought
his wife a Rolex and a C class Mercedes for $205k. He built her a $700k
house. Another gave his wife his Porsche Targa for her wedding present
because she liked driving it. He did keep his Lambo, Maserati, and Ferrari,
tho.............

Any woman who has to have her husband's permission to decorate the house is
merely a little more than a milk cow in their relationship. You seem to
have a low value for women, and I can imagine that IF you are in a
relationship, what type of woman you have chosen.

My condolences to her.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote

A friend of mine bought
his wife a Rolex and a C class Mercedes for $205k.

Sorry, it was the cheap one, $105k new. Rolex about $6k.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Slate? For a countertop? I'd think it would be too porous; dangerous, in
fact.

Nope. But good Vermont slate might cost more than granite.
Don't know what you mean by "dangerous."

Slate is porous, it'll harbor bacteria. Yes, dangerous.

Our countertops don't touch food anyway.

You *never* spill?

Pan bottoms, plate bottoms, and cutting board bottoms do.
Bare particleboard would work if splashed water and juices didn't wet
it and make it fall apart.

Not!

Any common countertop is easily sanitized with a bleach wipedown.

Bleach around food isn't a great idea either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Manly Mann wrote:

Any "man" that wastes thousands of dollars on granite for his wife's
kitchen needs to grow a pair.

Sheeeeeesssshhh!!!!!!!

Once again:

If you're unhappy and your wife is not, you're still happier than if you
were happy and your wife was not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Slate? For a countertop? I'd think it would be too porous; dangerous, in
fact.

Nope. But good Vermont slate might cost more than granite.
Don't know what you mean by "dangerous."

Slate is porous, it'll harbor bacteria. Yes, dangerous.

Nope. That would be granite. Granite is also more radioactive than
slate Good formica is less porous than both, and not radioactive at
all.
Personally, none of this concerns me, since I have formica, but since
you wandered into the weeds, I'm here to pull you out.
http://www.servicemagic.com/article....#ixzz1ySIctQ4j
"The Right Resistance
Slate countertops are like granite's obscure cousin. They're both
constructed in nature, are shaped from giant stone slabs, and are
elegant additions to any home. Plus, they're both hard and
heat-resistant, which makes them great in kitchens since they can take
some abuse, won't dent, and can hold hot pans without sustaining
damage. However, granite is fairly porous and will therefore absorb
stains, water, chemicals, and food substances into its surface unless
annually sealed. Slate counters, on the other hand, are naturally
stain-resistant. Also, they're completely non-porous, which makes them
exceptionally anti-bacterial. They can't absorb acidic liquids, food,
fats, or chemicals, and therefore they are also mold and mildew
resistant without any maintenance."

Our countertops don't touch food anyway.

You *never* spill?

Said exactly the opposite just below.

Pan bottoms, plate bottoms, and cutting board bottoms do.
Bare particleboard would work if splashed water and juices didn't wet
it and make it fall apart.

Not!

So you don't think bare particleboard will fall apart if wetted
enough? Go for it.

Any common countertop is easily sanitized with a bleach wipedown.

Bleach around food isn't a great idea either.

So you don't sanitize the kitchen? Poor practice.
Don't ever believe granite will kill salmonella and other nasties.

--
Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Slate? For a countertop? I'd think it would be too porous; dangerous, in
fact.

Nope. But good Vermont slate might cost more than granite.
Don't know what you mean by "dangerous."

Slate is porous, it'll harbor bacteria. Yes, dangerous.

Nope. That would be granite.

Absolute nonsense. Polished granite is not porous at all.

Granite is also more radioactive than
slate

Absolutely irrelevant.

Good formica is less porous than both, and not radioactive at
all.

It's too soft and sucks for baking.

Personally, none of this concerns me,

Then why do you insist on being an idiot?

since I have formica,

Ick. Gave that up for good, the first time we had something better.

but since
you wandered into the weeds, I'm here to pull you out.
http://www.servicemagic.com/article....#ixzz1ySIctQ4j

"The Right Resistance
Slate countertops are like granite's obscure cousin. They're both
constructed in nature, are shaped from giant stone slabs, and are
elegant additions to any home.

Whoopie.

Plus, they're both hard and
heat-resistant, which makes them great in kitchens since they can take
some abuse, won't dent, and can hold hot pans without sustaining
damage.

OK.

However, granite is fairly porous and will therefore absorb
stains, water, chemicals, and food substances into its surface unless
annually sealed.
Slate counters, on the other hand, are naturally
stain-resistant. Also, they're completely non-porous, which makes them
exceptionally anti-bacterial. They can't absorb acidic liquids, food,
fats, or chemicals, and therefore they are also mold and mildew
resistant without any maintenance."

Not buying it. Water will wet slate.

Our countertops don't touch food anyway.

You *never* spill?

Said exactly the opposite just below.

So you lied just above.

Pan bottoms, plate bottoms, and cutting board bottoms do.
Bare particleboard would work if splashed water and juices didn't wet
it and make it fall apart.

Not!

So you don't think bare particleboard will fall apart if wetted
enough? Go for it.

I can't help it if you can't write. Specifically, "I object to: Bare
particleboard would work... unless it fall apart." That's just so much
nonsense.

Any common countertop is easily sanitized with a bleach wipedown.

Bleach around food isn't a great idea either.

So you don't sanitize the kitchen? Poor practice.

Not while prepping food, certainly not. Not with chlorine, either. Soap and
water work fine.

Don't ever believe granite will kill salmonella and other nasties.

You do have an imagination. No brains, but an imagination, at least.