Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Blinking Oil Light On Cub Cadet

The light kept blinking. Oil level was full and very clean; in fact, the
unit had just been thru its very thorough annual servicing just two months
earlier. And so it went to the shop where they changed oil and installed a
new filter. A note on the invoice said, "Oil light will stop blinking in 3
hrs."

Sure enough, it did stop blinking although much earlier than 3 hrs. What
was the cause for the blinking oil light? I was expecting them to say that
there was some problem with the oil being pumped into the moving parts, but
there's no mention of oil pump failure or anything like that.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/14/2012 11:54 AM, All Thumbs wrote:
The light kept blinking. Oil level was full and very clean; in fact, the
unit had just been thru its very thorough annual servicing just two months
earlier. And so it went to the shop where they changed oil and installed a
new filter. A note on the invoice said, "Oil light will stop blinking in 3
hrs."

Sure enough, it did stop blinking although much earlier than 3 hrs. What
was the cause for the blinking oil light? I was expecting them to say that
there was some problem with the oil being pumped into the moving parts, but
there's no mention of oil pump failure or anything like that.

It's the "change oil" indicator on an engine timer set for 50 hr
intervals iirc. There's no reset other than it times out after roughly
3-5 hrs (why so imprecise and why no reset you'll have to ask someone
else; I don't know ).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 14, 2012 2:09:04 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
It's the "change oil" indicator on an engine timer set for 50 hr
intervals iirc. There's no reset other than it times out after roughly
3-5 hrs (why so imprecise and why no reset you'll have to ask someone
else; I don't know ).

Why is there no reset? Because it's a frickin' lawn mower, not the Space Shuttle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 13:09:04 -0500, dpb wrote:

[...]

OK, thanks.

Well, I just got shafted. The oil was supposedly changed in April, looked
clean, and there is no way I put 50 hrs. on it since then. In fact the
total hrs. just broke 50 and the unit is 4 yrs. old.

My other Cub doesn't have this time feature; in fact none of them had it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 15:07:24 -0400, All Thumbs
wrote Re Blinking Oil Light On Cub Cadet:

Well, I just got shafted. The oil was supposedly changed in April, looked
clean, and there is no way I put 50 hrs. on it since then. In fact the
total hrs. just broke 50 and the unit is 4 yrs. old.

It certainly looks that way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, I just got shafted. The oil was supposedly changed in April, looked
clean, and there is no way I put 50 hrs. on it since then. In fact the
total hrs. just broke 50 and the unit is 4 yrs. old.

Sounds like the oil change light goes off when the engine has 50 hrs. on
it. If the new oil looks clean, why do you think you've been shafted? The
evidence, the clean engine oil, suggests that you did get the oil change
that this service light requested. Probably the service light goes of every
50 hrs.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

IF it is a timer, and IF it is set for 50 hours, the reason it came
on after 25 hours, more or less on the oil change is because it didn't
go off, or get reset, at the first 25 hour change.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/14/2012 2:07 PM, All Thumbs wrote:
[...]

for a quart or two of oil and a $4 filter, you really can't do it too often.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/14/2012 5:42 PM, Dave M. wrote:
Well, I just got shafted. The oil was supposedly changed in April, looked
clean, and there is no way I put 50 hrs. on it since then. In fact the
total hrs. just broke 50 and the unit is 4 yrs. old.

Sounds like the oil change light goes off when the engine has 50 hrs. on
it. If the new oil looks clean, why do you think you've been shafted? The
evidence, the clean engine oil, suggests that you did get the oil change
that this service light requested. Probably the service light goes of every
50 hrs.

I think he thinks that because the oil had been changed recently before
he took it in and he took it in because he thought the light indicated a
problem other than simply a timer oil-change light. A probably deemed
suitable repair action would have to been to "Notify customer meaning of
a blinking oil light and ask if want to change oil".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 19:41:38 -0500, dpb wrote:

[...]

Exactly.

And to complicate matters, the owner's manual says that the oil should be
changed at 100 hrs. Meanwhile, in 4 yrs., they change it every time the
unit goes to the shop, which comes to 5 times, 50 hrs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 18:42:01 -0400, "Dave M."
wrote:

Well, I just got shafted. The oil was supposedly changed in April, looked
clean, and there is no way I put 50 hrs. on it since then. In fact the
total hrs. just broke 50 and the unit is 4 yrs. old.

Sounds like the oil change light goes off when the engine has 50 hrs. on
it. If the new oil looks clean, why do you think you've been shafted? The
evidence, the clean engine oil, suggests that you did get the oil change
that this service light requested. Probably the service light goes of every
50 hrs.

Dave M.

How in the heck is this sensor supposed to know that the oil was changed
if there is no reset? I'd suggest the OP read the manual again, and
tell us EXACTLY what it says. This makes no sense!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Well, I just got shafted. The oil was supposedly changed in April, looked
clean, and there is no way I put 50 hrs. on it since then. In fact the
total hrs. just broke 50 and the unit is 4 yrs. old.

Sounds like the oil change light goes off when the engine has 50 hrs. on
it. If the new oil looks clean, why do you think you've been shafted? The
evidence, the clean engine oil, suggests that you did get the oil change
that this service light requested. Probably the service light goes of every
50 hrs.

Dave M.

How in the heck is this sensor supposed to know that the oil was changed
if there is no reset? I'd suggest the OP read the manual again, and
tell us EXACTLY what it says. This makes no sense!!!!

The manual says nothing about resets or sensors. The maintenance chart
advises oil to be changed at 100 hrs. Tractor just reached 50. The section
pertaining to the indicator panel says that if the light remains lit when
there is correct oil level, contact the dealer, which I did.

This unit goes in every yr. for routine seasonal service and the oil has
been changed each time. That;s 4 times and now this makes the 5th time.

I'm beginning to think that there's just something wrong with the light
itself.

Replace the sensor for the light!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 15:07:24 -0400, All Thumbs wrote:
Well, I just got shafted. The oil was supposedly changed in April,
looked clean, and there is no way I put 50 hrs. on it since then. In
fact the total hrs. just broke 50 and the unit is 4 yrs. old.

My other Cub doesn't have this time feature; in fact none of them had
it.

It sounds to be about the most stupid feature I've ever heard of on a
product. Disable the light and change the oil yourself at something
reasonably close to the manufacturer's recommended intervals.

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 14, 2012 10:28:50 PM UTC-4, All Thumbs wrote:
And to complicate matters, the owner's manual says that the oil should be
changed at 100 hrs. Meanwhile, in 4 yrs., they change it every time the
unit goes to the shop, which comes to 5 times, 50 hrs.

They are changing the oil because it's part of the annual service schedule, and you keep bringing it back for the "annual servicing."

Who's fault is it that you are blindly paying for this annual servicing?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 16:37:20 -0400, All Thumbs
wrote:

On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 13:30:05 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Thursday, June 14, 2012 10:28:50 PM UTC-4, All Thumbs wrote:
And to complicate matters, the owner's manual says that the oil should be
changed at 100 hrs. Meanwhile, in 4 yrs., they change it every time the
unit goes to the shop, which comes to 5 times, 50 hrs.

They are changing the oil because it's part of the annual service schedule, and you keep bringing it back for the "annual servicing."

Who's fault is it that you are blindly paying for this annual servicing?

No complaint there; I would just like answers as to why the light keeps
blinking. Getting a response from the dealer is like trying to get an
audience with the Pope.

The Service Monitor meter contains a service minder function that
utilizes the 4-digit LCD display. The letters "CHG" will display
followed by the letters "OIL" and then followed by the meter
accumulated time. "CHG"/"OIL"/TIME will alternate on the display for
five(5) minutes after the meter reaches 50 hours. The display will
also flash as described above for five(5) minutes every time the
tractor has been started during the maintenance time interval. The
interval will occur every 50 hours and will be in effect for two(2)
hours ( Example: this feature will display from 50-52 hrs., 100-102
hrs., 150-152 hrs etc...). While the LCD is displaying the
"CHG"/"OIL"/TIME letters, the red LED "oil symbol" will also be
flashing for the entire five(5) minutes. The meter display will return
to normal function automatically after the reminder maintenance time
interval of two(2) hours.There is no method of manually re-setting
this Service Monitor gauge

Read mo
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Lt_1050_cu...#ixzz1xti32PYO
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks!! That's exactly what's happening. The model is 2550 and the damn
owner's manual doesn't mention a word about it

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Lt_1050_cu...light_stays_on...

Thanks!! *That's exactly what's happening. *The model is 2550 and the damn
owner's manual doesn't mention a word about it- Hide quoted text -

Another example of people that do up the manuals probably don't
actually use the product, and in many cases probobly have never even
seen the product they are writing about. And then do the original in
Chinese or Indian or Vietnamese, then translate to English and see
what you get.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In our owner's manual, the diagram of the lights, etc. looks nothing like what's actually on the mower. And in the owner's manual, it says the hour meter will say CHG OIL at the 50 hour intervals . . . but instead, the oil light flashes and there is no mention of what that would mean.

The mower is one for a small club and my husband is the one who cares for it this year. He just called me to figure out what the &*#(* the flashing light meant . . . like the OP, he expected it to be an oil pump or something, as he'd changed the oil at 40 hours.

Thanks to all of you, I was able to tell him what it meant. And that meant no expensive "repair" for something that wasn't even broken. YIKES!

Dear Cub Cadet -- if you're going to have idiot lights, make them so that idiots actually understand what they mean!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
In our owner's manual, the diagram of the lights, etc. looks nothing like
what's actually on the mower. And in the owner's manual, it says the hour
meter will say CHG OIL at the 50 hour intervals . . . but instead, the oil
light flashes and there is no mention of what that would mean.

The mower is one for a small club and my husband is the one who cares for it
this year. He just called me to figure out what the &*#(* the flashing
light meant . . . like the OP, he expected it to be an oil pump or
something, as he'd changed the oil at 40 hours.

Thanks to all of you, I was able to tell him what it meant. And that meant
no expensive "repair" for something that wasn't even broken. YIKES!

Dear Cub Cadet -- if you're going to have idiot lights, make them so that
idiots actually understand what they mean!

They just don't make them like when IH made them anymore

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you. I can confirm that this "feature" is not in the owners manual. Now I will not worry about the blinking red light.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you, to all the Cub owners here who took the time with this question. As a recently widowed lady who now finds all this yard work and tractor upkeep pretty daunting, it was so helpful to learn that this pesky light stays on for awhile even after you've changed the oil, and filter. Our local dealer told me that if the light shade on for one, to two minutes after I changed the oil, and filter I shoukd turn the tractor off, and call them. They could make a service call, and even haul it in to the shop. $$$$$$ Bottom line.....you guys just saved me a lot of money. Widowed little old lady = easy pickings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd like to thank all of you for contributing to this discussion. The idiot light illuminated on my tractor at 50 hours, so I changed the oil. When the light continued to blink after starting the engine, I thought something was wrong. Luckily, my dealer set me straight when I called--confirming that the light will continue to blink for two more hours. It's a little disconcerting to have the light continue blinking after changing the oil though. I even tried disconnecting the battery to see if that would reset it and that didn't work.

Thanks again. Time to light a cigar and go mow the lawn.
Posted to alt.home.repair

This is the most illogical oil light indicator I ever seen or heard of in my life - being well over sixty and rebuild many engines and complete cars for that matter I think I have enough knowledge of why an oil light indicator is fitted to any type of vehicle or engine driven machine. Nobody has to be a rocket scientist to know that it will be first on foremost that there is no oil in the engine, second that the pump has failed. Since technology and bazzare electronic indicators is build into engines it becomes rather a pain than pleasure. I bought this Cub Cadet about two seasons ago and had only trouble with it. I recently changed the oil and filter at 30 hrs on the machine. When I started I also experienced the oil light flashing and ended up here. "A 3 HRS RESET" what a joke. I have renamed my model to KAK Cadet

Posted to alt.home.repair

Make sure the Oil was changed then do like we used to with the VCR Clock. Put a piece of tape over it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 12:54:31 PM UTC-4, All Thumbs wrote:
The light kept blinking. Oil level was full and very clean; in fact, the
unit had just been thru its very thorough annual servicing just two months
earlier. And so it went to the shop where they changed oil and installed a
new filter. A note on the invoice said, "Oil light will stop blinking in 3
hrs."

Sure enough, it did stop blinking although much earlier than 3 hrs. What
was the cause for the blinking oil light? I was expecting them to say that
there was some problem with the oil being pumped into the moving parts, but
there's no mention of oil pump failure or anything like that.

Thank you this idiot light has been driving me nuts
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to All Thumbs, JOHN B. wrote:
I have a 2014 Cub cadet LT 1045 20 hp Kohler ..... The manual says
change oil every 100 hrs ... at 50 the digital reading came on
and said change oil ... if its set to go off every fifty
hours if I ignore the oil change and go another 5 to 6 hrs
will it reset itself or should I ignore and just go another 50
hrs if the oil is clean

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...et-701203-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to clare, 54chevy wrote:
If there is a warning or trigger to change or maintain something, and you
follow it, there should be a blasted reset capability so the count down to
trigger/notify me again can happen. Why? Because that is what monitors and
maintenance notifications are for. When someone else gets on the mower and
sees the prompt "CHANGE OIL NOW" they think it MUST be done then try to do it
or won't use it. In my case, I worry the oil is low or does need to be
changed since the idiot gauge is telling me so. Our mower is used by multiple
family members who help us out. Being unable to reset it after the process
has been performed is a bad design, counterproductive and annoying. it also
depletes resources unnecessarily, time, $ and supplies. Frankly, I'd be
embarrassed if I were this manufacturer. Yes, it's a simple thing; so either
remove the darn indicator or create a working capability to reset the darn
counter, timer properly.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...et-701203-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to All Thumbs, ALAN wrote:
light can not be reset, will automatically come on even if oil has ben changed
at a preset hour , will go off after about 5 hrs of run time and back on after
the preset time

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...et-701203-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 May 2017 16:14:03 GMT, ALAN
m wrote:

replying to All Thumbs, ALAN wrote:
light can not be reset, will automatically come on even if oil has ben changed
at a preset hour , will go off after about 5 hrs of run time and back on after
the preset time

Must be a government mandated and approved light?
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to All Thumbs, michael wrote:
my club caret wont engage ltx1045 clubcadet deck wont engage i shut off it
was running fine

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...et-701203-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

michael posted for all of us...

replying to All Thumbs, michael wrote:
my club caret wont engage ltx1045 clubcadet deck wont engage i shut off it
was running fine

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...et-701203-.htm

You broke it.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

I can't say for sure that you didn't get shafted but I changed my own oil and wrote it for about 5 hours and my oil light came on so I think it's just an automatic setting
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to All Thumbs, Hoopzref wrote:
Thanks thought there was a problem

--